Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 05:55 AM

41 posts, read 73,513 times

Advertisements

Good morning! I currently live in Asheville, NC. My husband will be working in Cary, NC, so we are relocating. I am looking to "short list" specific neighborhoods in Cary.

Here is a bit about me and my family:
1) Husband works in Cary, NC
2) I work from home (both are in late 30's, early 40's)
3) 3 year old daughter will attend a private preschool - needs to be GREAT.
4) Looking for Greatschools.org school ratings of 8-10 elementary, middle school, high school
5) Neighborhood amenities: park playground, pool a plus, neighborhood events, sidewalks a plus, young families with children.
6) Budget $450-$500K Min. 3 bed + 2 BA, 2400 sq ft. plus
7) Prefer houses not to be too close together

Also would love if: there was a park nearby, good library, good groceries and dining options.

Internet research recommended: Preston, Amberly, Park at West Lake (Apex)?

Thanks in advance!
Catherine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 06:26 AM

43,306 posts, read 77,142,685 times
How far apart do the houses need to be? I.e., any particular lot size?
Preston will have the largest lots and offer improved proximity to a better selection of amenities you desire than the other two.

You might also look in Wellsley, West Park, Whitebridge, MacArthur Park, The Reserve.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:36 AM

Hi! My current lot size is 0.3 acres. My neighbors are nearby, but not so close that I can hear them sitting on the porch. Thanks for the recommendations. I will take a look!

Old 06-18-2016, 06:44 AM

43,306 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedEastAndGladOfIt View Post
Hi! My current lot size is 0.3 acres. My neighbors are nearby, but not so close that I can hear them sitting on the porch. Thanks for the recommendations. I will take a look!
0.3 is a large lot in the subdivisions you noted. Except for Preston, where you can easily run out of your budget, too.

Watch for capped schools, too. Learn your way around Wake County Public School System / Homepage particularly Student Assignment / Find Your Base School

Old 06-18-2016, 07:47 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
You may also want to consider Apex and Holly Springs as they run very close to Cary.

The Park At West Lake, for example, used to have a Cary address but now has an Apex address (just tells you where the mail comes from). It is more South Cary. Sunset Oaks is in that same area.

The homes in West Cary (closer to Morrisville) will also be a good choice.

Cary has become very spread out so you may want to check mapquest as your husband's commute could be further than you'd like.

The biggest issue you may run into is that the newer subdivisions have smaller lots.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:55 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How far apart do the houses need to be? I.e., any particular lot size?
Preston will have the largest lots and offer improved proximity to a better selection of amenities you desire than the other two.

You might also look in Wellsley, West Park, Whitebridge, MacArthur Park, The Reserve.
Agree with these. Also Somerset and maybe Carpenter Village (not sure of lot size and budget there though). Berkely is nice but no pool.

Most of these won't have a playground (West Park does, but their pool is TINY, so not a good trade off IMHO).

Possibly Brookstone and Weatherstone as well.

One of your problems with many of these neighborhoods is that Davis Drive and Mills Park Elementaries are both capped.

I'd try to find something in Preston Village but I think you're going to have to jump fast with your budget, if anything is even available in that price range there.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:03 AM

Great info. Thank you so much! I will check them all out.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:13 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
May I suggest that a local Realtor should probably be your new BFF? You've already 'met' two very good ones in this thread. . .

Old 06-18-2016, 11:00 AM

I'll need to research the capped schools piece. Not familiar with that terminology. My husband is going up there Thursday. If either of you realtors are available early afternoon for neigborhood pre house hunting that would be great.

Playground is a must i think. We spend a lot of time at ours.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:04 AM

Also my husband's company is near Lake Johnson park. He generally is fine with a 30 minute commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary