Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 12:49 PM

460 posts, read 1,273,829 times

Advertisements

I remember the names but didn't listen to a lot of RDU....do vaguely remember its debut. I was working at a local pool and they manager had it on the outside speakers. Did 106.1 have another format before that?

What was the name of that puppet that used to be on Mix 101.5? My mom would force us to listen on the way to school.
I also remember G105 being a lot cooler with their music selection...just 10 or so years ago. Michelle, the Slave Girl's show on Sundays plus they played some alternative throughout the week. It was also one of the only places I ever heard "Common Ground" by Rhythm Corps...lol

Last edited by daveraleigh; 04-10-2008 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
I think it may have been a country station before it changed the call letters to WRDU and become a rock station. WQDR had gone from Rock to Country, so there was a big void in the market. Some of the former QDR talent wound up at RDU.

When RDU first started, it mixed in a lot of Adult Contemporary stuff. Gradually it shed that and became more of a modern rock format, with older stuff thrown in. At some point it shifted over to just a classic rock format. The timeframe I am referring to, it was doing the modern rock thing.

I remember stuff like Love and Rockets, The Cult, Living Color, Jon Butcher Axis, Jane's Addiction, Metallica, GnR, etc. I remember an in studio performance of Melissa Etheridge, before she broke nationally, doing "Somebody Bring Me Some Water" that was excellent.

The R&S morning show would have that week's Charlie Goodnights headliner on ever Thursday (iirc). Fond memories of Heywood Banks doing "Toast" and other songs from his act.

Yeah, I remember when G105 was briefly listenable. They were even playing some local acts like Hobex and Dag for a spell. Then they reverted to suckitude again.

Last edited by Dire Wolf; 04-10-2008 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-10-2008, 01:55 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
I remember the Shoney's Big Boy with the big statue!
Yep, it was on 70 South towards Garner!

Speaking of "towards Garner", remember the total solar eclipse of March, 1970? It was at its fullest just slightly south of town, and a lot of folks drove down toward Garner to see it--my dad and I went to that cemetary off Hwy 70 south to see it.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:20 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yep, it was on 70 South towards Garner!

Speaking of "towards Garner", remember the total solar eclipse of March, 1970? It was at its fullest just slightly south of town, and a lot of folks drove down toward Garner to see it--my dad and I went to that cemetary off Hwy 70 south to see it.
LOL, you're definitely older than me. I was born in 1970 (in the old Watts hospital!) so I don't remember the eclipse too well!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:26 PM

337 posts, read 1,138,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
remember the total solar eclipse of March, 1970? It was at its fullest just slightly south of town, and a lot of folks drove down toward Garner to see it--my dad and I went to that cemetary off Hwy 70 south to see it.
I remember my teacher scared the crap out of us telling us we would go blind so we wouldn't stare at it.
We made cool pinhole projectors so we could watch it.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:10 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
I don't like "midtown" - but anything was better than old North Hills Mall... I have fond memories of the old cinema at North Hills - where Kerr Drugs now sits.. A few years ago (before midtown arrived) I was at Kerr Drugs and saw a "time capule" in the ground.... does anybody know when it is due to be opened. Time Capsules were big deals in the 70's..
The time capsule will be opened in 2018 I believe...I'll check for sure. I live in Midtown in the old North Hills Estates. The Cardinal theater actually was where the Bone Fish is now.

I remember all that stuff..here's a few. Dunn's Ice Cream, Roy's on Downtown Blvd across from the ballpark, The Broiler, Chargrill on Downtown Blvd next to the ballpark, Homer Briarhopper's, The Wake Theater downtown, Woodrow, The Hat Ladies, Bell's Drive Inn, The Windmill, the original Forest Drive Inn on capital just inside the beltline, jumping off the old overhead bridge at Lassiter Mill....very interesting thread. I plan on going back and reading all the replies first chance.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 9,649 times
I remember a drive in on 70 between Garner and Raleigh in the late '50, early 60's

Old 04-30-2008, 12:43 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
OKay..does anyone remember back when North Hills used to be a mall..it was sometime in the late 70's in the location where Dillards was recently, there used to be a library..anyone remember that?

I remember we used to shop & JcPenney and I would carry my library books around!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
OKay..does anyone remember back when North Hills used to be a mall.
Well heck yeah, since it was a mall from 1967 to about 2003
Quote:
.it was sometime in the late 70's in the location where Dillards was recently, there used to be a library..anyone remember that?
It wasn't where Dillard's was--just past there (what later became the "dead end" of the mall) where the fountain used to be and then later was Ragamuffin's restaurant (the first job I ever had, in high school). And before THAT, the library was a tiny room back in the back part of the mall, going back toward the right past Bride's World and Cokesbury Books. We'd usually park on that back side of the mall and come in the door that was back there.

Quote:
The time capsule will be opened in 2018 I believe
2017, June, I think. I've been "counting down the days" since about 1970 Who remembers when the ice cream parlor, "Ice Cream Creations", was there right next to (or almost next to) the Cardinal, in the early '70s? I remember they had grape ice cream, the only place to this day I've seen that.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Dillards used to be Ivey's in North Hills. I don't remember how long ago it was when it changed to Dillards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary