Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 11:36 PM

6 posts, read 17,825 times

Advertisements

You know you are from........If you remember Wilbur Hobby of the AFL=CIO running for office. His campaign slogan, "The Big Boys had a good day today. How was your day?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 11:46 PM

6 posts, read 17,825 times
I saw WQDR mentioned. One of the first Album Rock stations in the country. They would track an entire album at midnight so you could tape it. I did so on my reel-to-reel.

Now, does anyone kn ow what QDR stood for? I was one of the few that actually bought into it! Like a lot of things it did not work out.
Here is a hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraphonic_sound

Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullethole View Post
I saw WQDR mentioned. One of the first Album Rock stations in the country. They would track an entire album at midnight so you could tape it. I did so on my reel-to-reel.
I remember well when QDR hit the air..."Reynolds and Silva in the morning"

Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I have a vague recollection of that as well.

I was young, though.

I remember when they went country, though. That was bizarre to me at the time.

On edit: Their offices were across from North Hills when I worked at Record Bar. I remember the DJs coming in to look for albums.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,567 times
You know you`re from Raleigh if you can remember the old man selling hot roasted peanuts in front of the capitol.You know you`re from Raleigh if you remember Jack the blind man.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:08 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
I remember the peanut man well. I spent many long Saturday's downtown, and Capitol Square was always my last stop before going home. I always saved enough change to buy a little brown sack of peanuts from him to feed the pigeons and squirrels. I always sat on the long row of bench's that lined the Fayetteville St. side to feed them.
http://www.newraleigh.com/images/siz...es-314x432.jpg

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-04-2011 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: No hotlinking, please

Old 06-04-2011, 11:07 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I knew some of the WRDU guys had worked at QDR before QDR went country and RDU started up, but was unaware Reynolds and Silva had been on QDR. I remember when RDU started up, but don't remember a lot about QDR (I lived a good bit to the west of here in its heyday and could only pick it up at home with a really good antenna setup).

Old 06-04-2011, 03:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I knew some of the WRDU guys had worked at QDR before QDR went country and RDU started up, but was unaware Reynolds and Silva had been on QDR. I remember when RDU started up, but don't remember a lot about QDR (I lived a good bit to the west of here in its heyday and could only pick it up at home with a really good antenna setup).
I remember Bob and Tom coming over to the Record Bar at North Hills to shop.

Tom worked with us one Christmas for some extra cash to surprise his kids with a gift (I forget what it was).

I could listen to him talk for hours.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,567 times
You know you`re from Raleigh if you remember Howards sandwich shop and the Wake Theater.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:13 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
I remember when QDR was on Salisbury St..I had a friend who worked there and so got to tour the place. When they changed to country format I was heartbroken as I didn't like Country back then. I stopped listening to them. Now I love it....

Do you remember when the Woolworth's in Cameron Village had the soda fountain/snack bar? I used to love stopping there for a thick shake. Also the Kresge or (Kress?)store I think it was, on Fayetteville st downtown also had one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary