Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:39 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
It's a district policy that varies by school. I thought it was just among middle schools (which doesn't really matter because GPAs don't count in middle school), but my daughter (freshman in HS) just told me that some of her teachers offer retesting too. I find that patently unfair in high school, so I am surprised at this news.

I like the idea...if it was applied with a limit. Maybe 1 time per year per student while in HS, as an example. External factors can pop up that affect preparation. Or a simple brain freeze due to anxiety/stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 08:12 PM

61 posts, read 54,695 times
When Wake County tried to require a consistent districtwide grading policy a few years ago that dictated things such as how to handle retesting for higher grades, teachers revolted. They didn't want to be dictated to by the district so policies are left up to individual schools.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:19 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
It's a district policy that varies by school. I thought it was just among middle schools (which doesn't really matter because GPAs don't count in middle school), but my daughter (freshman in HS) just told me that some of her teachers offer retesting too. I find that patently unfair in high school, so I am surprised at this news.
I think retesting or doing corrections is fantastic. The whole point is for the kids to learn the material, right? If they keep at it and get better grades then awesome.

I view it kinda like those online tests that keep getting harder and harder until you can't answer any more questions and they find what level you're at that way.

I think all schools should offer retesting or corrections on tests. We want kids who know the stuff even if it takes a couple of tries. It shouldn't be a competition. We should lift each kid up no matter how many tries it takes. It would be fantastic if every kid could make an A. I don't mean, give them an A that they don't deserve, but keep teaching and learning until they get it, y'know?

Old 10-24-2016, 08:54 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think retesting or doing corrections is fantastic. The whole point is for the kids to learn the material, right? If they keep at it and get better grades then awesome.

I view it kinda like those online tests that keep getting harder and harder until you can't answer any more questions and they find what level you're at that way.

I think all schools should offer retesting or corrections on tests. We want kids who know the stuff even if it takes a couple of tries. It shouldn't be a competition. We should lift each kid up no matter how many tries it takes. It would be fantastic if every kid could make an A. I don't mean, give them an A that they don't deserve, but keep teaching and learning until they get it, y'know?
I agree. And I think the DDMS policy is fair - you can re-take the test and show mastery but you're not getting an "A" because you couldn't be bothered to study the first time. You can pass the test that you failed...it will be a "D" but you'll pass. This policy also keeps the parents out of it. It is made clear at the beginning of the year.

My daughter is required to make test corrections regardless of grade. She got a 90 on the last math test and spent the weekend bitterly doing test corrections. But she will know the material. She is really struggling with her math teacher this year (as are all the kids in the class) so there is a certain amount of self reliance here; you're not always going to get a gem of a teacher. That's life.

This is like Davis Drive Elementary requiring a multiplication speed test at the beginning of 4th and 5th grade - kids have to get 100 on 3 tests in a row and then they can stop taking the test. Other schools won't do it because it's "against policy". Common sense, if you can't do multiplication by rote you are going to have a very tough time with math at any level and in the real world.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:04 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Wow. I recall my daughter being allowed to correct answers on a quiz, but not an actual test.

Is this at Green Hope? That is interesting.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

Agreed. I think the whole idea is that kids learn the material.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:06 AM

14 posts, read 38,996 times
My kids went to three different middle schools (Ligon, Carnage, Davis Drive Middle) because they each needed different things. Davis Drive middle was a wonderful experience for my younger son; it far surpassed my expectations coming from my Magnet school bias. The teachers communicated expectations very well to the kids and this prompting and "clarity" was exactly what my younger son needed to succeed and make good grades. My older son went to Carnage and did not do as well academically (although being a brilliant kid!). He did get to take a huge variety of courses at Carnage and this did stoke his imagination. But, if I had to do it all over again, I'd have sent him to Davis Drive Middle. The teachers are just far more organized and communicative.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:13 AM

168 posts, read 349,861 times
My kiddo went to DDMS and had a great three years there. He had some wonderful, caring teachers. He isn't an athlete and while he is a smart kid, was not at the top of the heap there. I really liked administration there and the changes they made. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the school and miss some of the staff now that we are over at the high school.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:31 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
Wow, this is great info. Am I allowed to tour these schools when we visit in Feb. or are there set open houses where parents and new students are allowed to visit?

Also, interesting on the soccer front. We are coming from a huge soccer city, Seattle, so psyched to hear it's popular. This is one area where my son is very competitive so it will be interesting to see how his skills stack up.
Be prepared to potentially find other outlets for soccer not tied to the school. Due to the size of certain schools in the area, making a team, even if you are a good player can be a challenge, just because there are so many other children playing the same sport at a high level and only so many spots on each team.

Soccer (along with girls volleyball, football, boys and girls basketball and track) are school sports at the middle school level. These are funded by the school with paid coaches (teachers) and access to school transportation to get to and from games. Certain other sports (baseball, lacrosse, etc.) are club sports where the coaches are parents, activities are self-funded and parents need to provide transportation to and from games.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:50 AM

115 posts, read 135,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
Davis Drive appears to have kids with higher test scores across the board so not sure if that means there is going to be more pressure between kids there or not to overachieve.

I am wondering if he will have an easier time at one over the other considering he is just an above average student and probably would not do well in an environment if there is intense academic competition.
If your question had been posed to the board like this:

If you had to pick one, what middle school would you say is the most like a pressure cooker?

The answer from the board would probably be Davis Drive, by a wide margin.

I have friends with kids at DD and my kids have friends there as well. It's a fairly high pressure school, as they are very prideful of those test scores. But really a lot of it has to do with the parent culture there, it's particularly helicopter-parenting centric. I have an aquiantance who is a child psychologist, and she actually told me point blank that she would not recommend DD or it's feeder high school Green Hope, because of the number of students she gets from those schools who are buckling under pressure there. Obviously, that could be the parents and not the schools - and it's a wealthy area so it could also be that these parents are simply the ones that can afford her fees. But I did think it was interesting coming from her.

If your son is average+ and pretty laid back, you might want to consider Apex Middle. Good scores, but a very relaxed atmosphere and a lot of the staff have been there a long time, which we really liked. Don't let the ancient building fool you, it's a great school. It feeds into Apex High and Apex Friendship, both of which are great schools. (Apex is getting a new HS in 2 years, so those feeder patterns may change)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary