Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:01 PM

8 posts, read 21,758 times

Advertisements

Any folks move to the Raleigh area then find it's not what they expected then moved back home? If so, what did you not like about it that made you decide to move back home. And where was home? TIA.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 PM

997 posts, read 4,646,444 times
Not I. We like it here. Warmer, friendlier people, cost of housing was less for us, pretty subdivision, and lots of recreation and outdoor things to do.

I would not move back up North again. I would move further South but never North.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:10 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
yes...it just took a while. We moved to Raleigh from Rochester, NY in Dec. 1994. Lived in N. Raleigh (Domion Park subdivision off Leesville rd., Cary (Lochmere), South Raleigh (Tryon Pines subdiivision off Tryon just past Lake Wheeler) and finally Apex (Hollands Crossing). We stayed in Wake county for over 12 years and saw it change a lot in 12 years. Didn't like the way the growth was getting out of hand and not being managed very well, especially with the effect that it had on schools. We also simply missed our family in NY and the sense of community and home we had here. I wouldn't say I flat out "didn't like" Raleigh; just believe that it is overhyped and I don't think that that is good for prospective transplants or people who already live there that would like the area to stablize a little.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
Not I. We like it here. Warmer, friendlier people, cost of housing was less for us, pretty subdivision, and lots of recreation and outdoor things to do..
It seems great on paper and I'm thinking that I would like it but am trying to get other folks' opinoins. Thanks. Do most of the subdivisions have HOA's with dues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
I would not move back up North again. I would move further South but never North.
The high taxes, higher cost of living, expensive housing, snowstorms, the work to live mentality, etc. in the North make it very appealing to seriously consider a move to Raleigh. It looks like a great move but I'm extremely cautious after moving once to a different part of the South from the North only to find out it was not for me. I guess it's a case of once bitten, twice shy so I'm trying to find out all the good and the bad. I read a lot of good things about the Raleigh area from folks who relocate to it.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
If you do a bit of searching in the New York forum you'll find some threads discussing this subject. Here's just one of them: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ved-south.html

I think most people who move here are happy with the area. It's obviously going to be different from "home", so it can take some time to adjust, but generally people here are very happy with the choice to live in the Trianlge.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
yes...it just took a while. We moved to Raleigh from Rochester, NY in Dec. 1994. Lived in N. Raleigh (Domion Park subdivision off Leesville rd., Cary (Lochmere), South Raleigh (Tryon Pines subdiivision off Tryon just past Lake Wheeler) and finally Apex (Hollands Crossing). We stayed in Wake county for over 12 years and saw it change a lot in 12 years. Didn't like the way the growth was getting out of hand and not being managed very well, especially with the effect that it had on schools. We also simply missed our family in NY and the sense of community and home we had here. I wouldn't say I flat out "didn't like" Raleigh; just believe that it is overhyped and I don't think that that is good for prospective transplants or people who already live there that would like the area to stablize a little.
Thanks. That was part of my concern and part of what didn't work for me when I did move to another part of the South. This is why I'm cautious. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
If you do a bit of searching in the New York forum you'll find some threads discussing this subject. Here's just one of them: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ved-south.html

I think most people who move here are happy with the area. It's obviously going to be different from "home", so it can take some time to adjust, but generally people here are very happy with the choice to live in the Trianlge.
Thanks. I was wondering more specifically about folks from the New York City area (NJ suburbs) rather than Western NY state since NYC is so much more urban. I posted on the NJ forum a more specific post.

The place I moved to in the South is a very transient area. Folks move in and are in love with the place until the honeymoon wears off. In about two or three years, they've moved out and more new folks have moved in. Lots of folks don't care for it after a few years so they move back 'home' wherever home may be to them (mostly the North). I don't want to move to another area like that which is so transient. I would prefer to move to a place where folks generally are satisfied with their choice to move there, put down solid roots and stay for while.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:55 AM

69 posts, read 255,709 times
My wife and I have been down here for 7 years. Nortel brought us down here right out of college so it wasn't really a planned move. It was great then, but now the growth, traffic and cost of homes has become very unappealing to me. My wife loves the summers, I'm not a huge fan of the heat and humidity. We're looking to relocate back home to upstate NY in the future. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad place to live, it's just not for me anymore.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:30 AM

531 posts, read 1,983,578 times
I moved here over 20 years ago and I have to say that I've about had it myself. But NOT because of anything specific to the Triangle--it has more to do with the rampant growth which, let's face it, is happening everywhere there was once something nice. I'm very cognizant of the fact that, economically, the Triangle is way better than northern NH, where I'm from. The weather, the jobs, the taxes, the weather :0... My next choice would be a rural area that no one wants to move to. North Dakota?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:03 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,453,062 times
Default How ugly. . . like children on a playground

I, for one, was sorry to see this thread staring me in the face this morning. What an awful message to send others about us North Carolinians -- to go back if you don't like it here. Did it occur to you that may not be an option for some?

We could be better neighbors, couldn't we? How could some of us make life better for the rest here? Like not posting something so negative? What did you hope to accomplish with this thread? Actually, I don't care if dis-satisfied folks want to rant and rave about not liking it here in Raleigh, but the title of your thread comes across as really negative.

Call me 'Pollyanna' but stay off my toes, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary