Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:55 AM

119 posts, read 201,075 times

Advertisements

The lane drop is the major problem, but contributing to it are all those folks who speed way up and tailgate the entire time instead of just slowing down, maintaining a reasonable distance, and letting merging cars ease into traffic. Maybe a few signs ("no tailgating" and "maintain safe distance") would help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
like the beltline.
I drive 540 to and from RTP between Falls of Neuse & 70 almost daily during the rush hours. I have also driven the Beltline quite a few times during the same time periods. I would say that since 540 was connected to 64 in Knightdale, the 540 congestion is now far worse than what is found on the Beltline, at least through the northern part of the loop. The major exception to this would be the portion of the Beltline between Wade Ave. and Cary where it drops to 2 lanes...that is awful!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:26 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I drive 540 to and from RTP between Falls of Neuse & 70 almost daily during the rush hours. I have also driven the Beltline quite a few times during the same time periods. I would say that since 540 was connected to 64 in Knightdale, the 540 congestion is now far worse than what is found on the Beltline, at least through the northern part of the loop.
I think that was mommie's point.... All the traffic will be on the new 740

Old 02-28-2008, 10:39 AM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
I think I read that traffic counts have gone down a bit on the Beltline since 540 opened up past Capital.

And I think I read a while back that the DOT had built provisions in for widening 540 to 4 lanes each way when they designed it.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:31 AM

3,304 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
like the beltline.
I'm sure it'll be much worse than the Beltline. I mean I can laugh at the traffic here all I want since I'm used to driving in the mess they call the DC area, but it is growing here and in 20 years if the population estimates hold true for Wake County and surrounding areas than we're going to be a lot worse off, even with more lanes added on these roads (which doesn't look too promising right now).

Old 02-28-2008, 11:34 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radmod View Post
The lane drop is the major problem, but contributing to it are all those folks who speed way up and tailgate the entire time instead of just slowing down, maintaining a reasonable distance, and letting merging cars ease into traffic. Maybe a few signs ("no tailgating" and "maintain safe distance") would help?

Wouldn't it be nice if it were something as simple as a few signs? Seems there are folks, however, who still think of STOP signs and posted speed limits as merely 'suggestions,' so I'm not sure how effective a request to not tailgate might be.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 PM

161 posts, read 761,657 times
Well, I honestly shouldn't even complain about it since I'm used to Jersey traffic...and what currently exists here isn't anything close to comparison.

But it is frustrating none-the-less. Something I get to look forward to, I suppose since we are moving over to the Leeseville section in a few months. Sorry to add to the congestion!!!

If someone knows an alt route (from Durham) that I can go to get to Leeseville road (heading towards the Harrington Grove dev), I'm VERY happy to take it and be one less person in the congestion. I'd rather take back roads and move along at a slower speed than sit in traffic/congestion/rubber necking/people not knowing how to merge properly or people not letting others merge b/c god forbid they be ONE car behind where they originally were????

Old 02-29-2008, 06:26 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlonthemove View Post
If someone knows an alt route (from Durham) that I can go to get to Leeseville road (heading towards the Harrington Grove dev), I'm VERY happy to take it and be one less person in the congestion.
There are a few options that can help avoid the I-540, I-40, and Brier Creek traffic. With a little experimentation, you should be able to find a route that is reasonably quick. Here is the one I would try first first:
  • Take NC-147 toward I-40.
  • Get off on the Alexandar Dr exit and turn left.
  • Take Alexandar Dr to Page Rd and turn left.
  • Take Page Rd to US-70 and turn left.
  • Turn right on Leesville Rd.
  • Either take Leesville Rd to the entrance of Harrington Grove, or alternatively turn left on Carpenters Pond and then right on Hickory Grove Church Rd back to Leesville Rd.
There are a lot of variations on this path. You can change where you get off NC-147, instead getting off on Ellis Rd, turning left on Miami Blvd to US-70 or Miami Blvd to Angier Rd to US-70. In both cases, turn right on US-70 and then left on Leesville Rd.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:59 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
And.... From Lumley Rd. to Leesville is a slight up-hill. People generally don't pay enough attention to their driving to give-it-a-little-more-gas to maintain their speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Cruise control isn't going to do you much good on a congested road like I-540 during rush hour.
I was responding to Emitchell's Comment about people not giving enough gas to speed up when going up hill. If i'm on cruise then I don't contribute to the problem.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
I'll point out another issue on that stretch of 540 is the impatient people who get over in the two right-hand lanes which are exits to 70 ONLY. The traffic in these two lanes is far less congested so those of us whose time is more valuable than everyone else decide to get over and pass drivers patiently waiting in the lanes they should be in. Then when the exit to 70 is to be made and the lane runs out, these cars hold up traffic to get back over into the lanes they never should have left. Not only do they make the ongoing traffic on 540 stop to let them back over, they hold up people like me trying to exit onto 70. They will literally stop in the exit lane until someone lets them over... Idots!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary