Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 02:25 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Here's what will happen. The number of charter schools will increase with some being better than others. Parents will have choice what school to send their kids to instead of being assigned by folks at the board of education. If all goes well motivated low income students and their motivated parents will leave the public schools and cluster together in high achieving charter schools away from the negative peer pressure and inappropriate behavior rampant in their public schools. Wow they might even be able to be proud to be smart and get A's without the pressure to be a thug and join the crew.

Negative peer pressure is alive and well and kids who want to be well deserve the right to escape. Yes it may hurt the school they left behind but if the parents and kids still there care they have the option also.
since I spend a great deal of time in a few schools, even at some great schools, you're completely correct. About 3rd grade, the negative pper pressure and "I don't want to be here" starts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 02:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
This question came to my mind when a colleague, worried about the stress her daughter was under in a "top school district" in New Jersey said "I kind of wish we had moved to a less competitive school district. Colleges only care about your class rank, they don't care about whether you were in a top district or not." The kid's hair was falling out, she was depressed about not being as strong as her classmates in certain areas, and the kid was miserable.
I've known people who worked in college admissions and that's certainly not true--they KNOW which schools are the good ones, and you might be in the 80th percentile there but be seen as stronger than someone in the 95th percentile in a school in a dried-up ghost town that gets horrible ratings and it's well-known that they graduate kids who can't read. Also, the size of the class matters--in a class of 40 kids, you can be in the top 10 in your class and only 75 percentile--but that could be because it's a really strong school and all 10 of you are acing APs and the SAT.

This is even more true in a state like North Carolina, where there is some horrifying discrepancy between the "top" schools in the state (in the urban areas) and the worst-performing ones (in neglected rural areas everybody is moving out of, and they're lucky to find enough teachers to even teach there).

Old 01-18-2017, 02:31 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
YUCK, YUCK a realtor. Just kidding you would know as much as anyone. Even more than many in the school system as folks will be honest with your. How the heck are you Mike
I'm fat and happy, Tuborg.

Notice the quotation marks. Direct quote from the lady.
Hmmmm.... Realtor yuck vs. racist yuck?

Old 01-18-2017, 02:31 PM

would you like my idea, Francois - extra funds for low-income schools, and less funds for high-income? What would you require as far as progress for the low income schools?

Old 01-18-2017, 02:33 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
I have seen it over and over and over and over and heard it over and over and over and over.
Where have you seen it? Is there somewhere on GreatSchools that states they base their ratings on demographics?

I honestly don't care if they do. Putting all political correctness aside, I see nothing wrong with wanting your children to go to school with children from similar upbringings, children who likely have similar goals and work ethics to your own.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:46 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I've known people who worked in college admissions and that's certainly not true--they KNOW which schools are the good ones, and you might be in the 80th percentile there but be seen as stronger than someone in the 95th percentile in a school in a dried-up ghost town that gets horrible ratings and it's well-known that they graduate kids who can't read. Also, the size of the class matters--in a class of 40 kids, you can be in the top 10 in your class and only 75 percentile--but that could be because it's a really strong school and all 10 of you are acing APs and the SAT.

This is even more true in a state like North Carolina, where there is some horrifying discrepancy between the "top" schools in the state (in the urban areas) and the worst-performing ones (in neglected rural areas everybody is moving out of, and they're lucky to find enough teachers to even teach there).
Don't some state schools - like UNC have requirements to take people in the top 10% of their high school class? I know Texas has such an admissions policy.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:52 PM

ummm, no.

I guess that may be why UT Austin is so huge?

Old 01-18-2017, 02:54 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
State tests are comparing students and parents against each other. Low Socio Economic schools have greater challenges and lower test scores. For it to be a meaningful comparison you have to be able to disaggregate the data so you are comparing apples to apples. For example comparing the state test scores between school A and school B'

1. White, Black, Asian and Hispanic v the same demographic at each school.

2. Free and Reduced meal student performance v the same at each school

3. Income by race and ethnicity v the same at each school.

4. The percentage of each in the individual schools population which is perhaps the most important comparison

No secret here. Asian students perform the highest followed by White followed by Black/Hispanic

School A could be 75 percent Asian and White with the Black/Hispanic population along with no ethnicity making up the remaining 25 percent

School B could be 25 percent White and Asian with Black/Hispanic and no ethnicity making up the remaining 75 percent.

School A could have the higher overall state test scores yet each sub group at B could have outperformed their similar group at A.
It is how each group is weighted as part of the overall test scores and the impact they have raising or lowering.

Hope this makes sense. States can also play games with how the distribute the scores of students who don't declare ethnicity on their test. For instance interracial children. Do the ones with high scores go in the Black grouping and the ones with lower scores going into the White. Hmmmm and Hmmmm!
Yes, and NC Report Cards gives all of this information - scores are broken down by race, FARMS, ELL, etc. It's a wealth of information for North Carolina schools if people will take the time to look through it. I'm sure that states do not play games with students' race/ethnicity. It's either on their record as filled out by their parents or completed by the student on the test (not sure how it's specifically done), but there is absolutely no way a state/school/teacher could make a judegement on that.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:55 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
ummm, no.

I guess that may be why UT Austin is so huge?
Maybe :

In 2009, the law was modified for The University of Texas at Austin. Under the new law, the university must automatically admit enough students to fill 75 percent of available Texas resident spaces. Each fall, the university notifies Texas school officials of the class rank that current high school juniors need to attain by the end of their junior year in order to be automatically admitted.

Summer/Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 applicants: Top 8%
Summer/Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 applicants: Top 7%
Summer/Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 applicants: Top 7%

For what it's worth 78% of UNC freshman were in the top 10% of their high school class.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:57 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
would you like my idea, Francois - extra funds for low-income schools, and less funds for high-income? What would you require as far as progress for the low income schools?
Do that and the high income folks either move or send their kids to private schools and become active to lower taxes. Johnston County has this issue with SMITHFIELD area schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary