Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:48 PM

23 posts, read 23,352 times

Advertisements

My family is building a home in Clayton and our closing is coming up at the end of February. We'll likely be in the area for a week prior to closing. However, I won't be able to get time off work and have a remote job that requires I connect Monday - Friday from 9am - 5pm.

I haven't found many hotels that have reviews that include comments like, "The internet connection was awesome." and I can't risk getting to a hotel and finding out their internet is spotty or totally unreliable.

Also, I'm not sure how a coffee shop would feel about me sitting around for 40 hours that week just to use their internet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can find a place with reliable internet so I can work while we're travelling that week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:51 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Check this thread for suggestions:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...whole-day.html

Old 01-30-2017, 07:52 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
I mean, I stayed at the Comfort Inn on Glenwood in Raleigh and the Internet was just fine all night long. If that helps :P

Old 01-30-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Check this thread for suggestions:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...whole-day.html
Thanks! There's a mention of RTP in there. I think that might be worth looking into.

A lot of posts mentioned going to a library. It's been a while since I've been to one. Any idea if they have free wifi these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I mean, I stayed at the Comfort Inn on Glenwood in Raleigh and the Internet was just fine all night long. If that helps :P
Nice, thanks. I'll look them up online and check out pricing.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:39 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
The Frontier in RTP is your best bet. It's not only free, it's designed for working people.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:05 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Conducting company business on a wifi connection is a question for your IT department....do you use a VPN ?
Traveling the country as a fulltime RV'er, I (and most other RV'ers) found Verizon to have the largest footprint, thus best connection. That said, you could sign up for their MIFI service, and have as secure a connection as possible, given the state of today's devices. Bandwidth requirements become an issue however. But worth looking into.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-31-2017, 05:12 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Conducting company business on a wifi connection is a question for your IT department....do you use a VPN ?
I agree. I'd be fired if I used public wifi while I work remote. Not sure this is a good idea in all cases.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:39 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree. I'd be fired if I used public wifi while I work remote. Not sure this is a good idea in all cases.
Beyond securing the connection with a VPN, there aren't many secure options regardless of where you're connecting from. Has your company installed a dedicated line in your home? Or, do they use IP filtering?

Old 01-31-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Traveling the country as a fulltime RV'er, I (and most other RV'ers) found Verizon to have the largest footprint, thus best connection. That said, you could sign up for their MIFI service, and have as secure a connection as possible, given the state of today's devices. Bandwidth requirements become an issue however. But worth looking into.

Regards
Gemstone1
As a full time remote employee I use VPN on a daily basis. That's why I'm most concerned about finding a reliable connection while we're travelling.

I'm not a Verizon customer but could always check what solutions T Mobile offers their customers.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:33 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
All Wake County Public Libraries have free wifi. It isn't private. If you're in Clayton, the closest library is probably Southeast Regional in Garner. You don't have to be a member and there is no password.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary