Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 06:10 PM

148 posts, read 172,652 times

Advertisements

OP - good luck with this and please report your findings. Ignore those who think this is silly, as it is serious business. There are so many legitimate reasons to know and look for this information (as well as no reason at all - it's your right to know no matter what). Law enforcement and the courts send out notices via unreliable 1880s technology (ie USPS combined with ancient databases), so proactively searching is the only way to go. For those who need to know a reason why someone would want to search for this info, how about this - I actually share a name with a well-known criminal and you'd be surprised how often just the sharing of a first and last name of someone who doesn't even live in this state or come within two decades of being the same age can cause problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 08:35 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,276,946 times
I think if I personally had such a unique situation where I was concerned about someone else's 'parallel" identity rather than my own misdeeds, I'd go straight to the police department to give them the 411 on the situation. But, I've admittedly not been involved in said scenario, and sympathize with anyone who has.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:14 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,279,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I think if I personally had such a unique situation where I was concerned about someone else's 'parallel" identity rather than my own misdeeds, I'd go straight to the police department to give them the 411 on the situation. But, I've admittedly not been involved in said scenario, and sympathize with anyone who has.
Good point. My parents named my sister and brother after them and there were times that things showed up incorrectly on their credit reports.

I also knew someone who's brother stole his license and they looked alike enough to fool cops that pulled him over. That took a lot of convincing to clear up.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:02 AM

13,726 posts, read 12,513,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
The OP has only been in NC for a couple of months - unless they have specifically done something wrong, I could not imagine that they would have any warrants/criminal complaints against them. Unless, something from a previous state has followed them to NC.
That is possible. Even with traffic type violations that are unresolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Good point. My parents named my sister and brother after them and there were times that things showed up incorrectly on their credit reports.

I also knew someone who's brother stole his license and they looked alike enough to fool cops that pulled him over. That took a lot of convincing to clear up.
Yeah. That happened to my Dad once. It was a PIA.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:35 AM

257 posts, read 288,134 times
Thanks to those of you who have tried to answer the question rather than speculate on my whole life story. I still don't quite understand how me - or any generic citizen is supposed to verify that they have no warrants and have not been charged with any crime. I check my credit report regularly and would think that checking something like this would be expected, encouraged and understood. So let me get this straight - knowing that just being charged with something and/or being arrested and/or having your mugshot taken and posted all over the Internet means having your life totally destroyed and ruined - regardless of whether you are guilty, whether it is a mistake, whether it is eventually dismissed, whether you go to trial and are found not guilty, etc......there is no simple, easy, quick way to check this online like you do everything else in life? Why? It seems to me that it would be to everyone's advantage - the citizens, the court system, law enforcement, etc....to have it be this way. After reading all the replies, from what I gather the ONLY way to know is to make a trip downtown, go in the courthouse and use one of those terminals? And then what happens if you ARE listed on there? Is it like winning a slot machine in Vegas where all sorts of red lights and alarms go off and police appear from every angle to arrest you?

I have been applying for jobs here and haven't heard back despite being perfectly qualified (or overqualified) and finally I went back to one place and spoke to a very nice lady who told me that she couldn't tell me specifically but something came back on my record and now I am freaking out and don't know what it could be or why since I haven't done anything. She said I needed to get it cleared up and that is why I am asking.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:41 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,279,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie11 View Post

I have been applying for jobs here and haven't heard back despite being perfectly qualified (or overqualified) and finally I went back to one place and spoke to a very nice lady who told me that she couldn't tell me specifically but something came back on my record and now I am freaking out and don't know what it could be or why since I haven't done anything. She said I needed to get it cleared up and that is why I am asking.
Wow that's crazy.

Maybe that nice lady would go a little further to give you the company they use for background checks and you could contact them yourself?

Old 02-09-2017, 09:59 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,514,909 times
I know someone who had a cocaine drug conviction on their record. Fortunately the company doing the background check called them back and said can you explain this (obviously it was in error).

OP are you sure it wasn't a credit report pull? Or a NDR pull (checks for DUIs and such)? Those are very common but unless you have an offer typically companies do not do background checks on people they haven't called to interview yet. Those checks are done after the interview because the cost money.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:00 PM

510 posts, read 903,840 times
you can go down to the court in downtown raleigh and do a search. you can get a certified copy for $25. I looked this up once before--it will list any charges, even if the charges were dropped.

Last edited by fvncresident04; 02-09-2017 at 05:19 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 07:02 AM

257 posts, read 288,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
you can go down to the court in downtown raleigh and do a search. you can get a certified copy for $25. I looked this up once before--it will list any charges, even if the charges were dropped.
That is great and just what I need - *IF* it shows anything new, as in warrants that haven't been served. I don't know how they are supposed to contact you but I have no address here so if it is through the mail I would never get it or find out about it. What are you supposed to do - just walk up to any random Raleigh Police officer and ask them to look you up and just hope? After spending the last few days searching online, the closest thing I can find is something called NCAWARE but you have to have some kind of law enforcement login to see it.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:33 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,551,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie11 View Post
That is great and just what I need - *IF* it shows anything new, as in warrants that haven't been served. I don't know how they are supposed to contact you but I have no address here so if it is through the mail I would never get it or find out about it. What are you supposed to do - just walk up to any random Raleigh Police officer and ask them to look you up and just hope? After spending the last few days searching online, the closest thing I can find is something called NCAWARE but you have to have some kind of law enforcement login to see it.
To be fair, if you DO have any warrants then you need to get them taken care of. Regardless of the outcome, you can't just go on the lam.

Innocent until proven guilty. For most offenses, I'm sure you can get a bail bond or something. Worst case, your overnight at the station, get a bail bond and find a lawyer to help you.

Don't run from your problem my friend, it always catches up with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary