Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:24 AM

253 posts, read 283,653 times

Advertisements

I just moved here a few months ago and I need to know how I can find out if I have been charged with a crime or how to check my criminal record or find out if there is a warrant for my arrest - or however you want to put it. The place I used to live had an easy online system for doing this but I am not familiar with Wake County. I need to know for both Cary and Raleigh so all inside Wake County I guess.

Also, I have been checking out some of those online crime maps and reports searching for related information.....you know the ones like Spot Crime and WRAL has.....anyway....they give vague case numbers that usually start with the letter P but how do you find out more details once you have that number?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 10:46 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,869 times
I would think that if you have not been doing anything illegal than you should know you have a clean record. That leads me to believe that you have done something and are trying to figure out if any criminal charges have been filed against you. You can start with the Wake County Criminal Record Portal
https://dwslivescan.co.wake.nc.us/mug/Disclaimer.aspx

Old 02-08-2017, 11:06 AM

253 posts, read 283,653 times
While the reasons I ask are totally irrelevant, I understand why someone might think what you think.

And that website only seems to show people who have been arrested and have mug shots. Thanks, though.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:36 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
I think you may be able to request that information at the link below.

Wake County - Clerk of Court

It tells you how to request information on speeding tickets, divorce, small claims, background checks. You can get a background check for Wake County and find information on how to obtain a state-wide background check if you have lived anywhere else in the state.

Good luck!

Old 02-08-2017, 12:12 PM

644 posts, read 842,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I would think that if you have not been doing anything illegal than you should know you have a clean record. That leads me to believe that you have done something and are trying to figure out if any criminal charges have been filed against you. You can start with the Wake County Criminal Record Portal
https://dwslivescan.co.wake.nc.us/mug/Disclaimer.aspx
Could be one of many reasons. I had a friend who thought that it was a good idea to have such a record to use when dealing with women, using Couch sharing services, etc.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Could be one of many reasons. I had a friend who thought that it was a good idea to have such a record to use when dealing with women, using Couch sharing services, etc.
A background check will not list pending criminal matters, only things that have been resolved with the courts. The OP seems to be looking for charges and warrants - not resolved court cases. I believe the only way to find pending court matters would be to go to the county clerks and have a search done on their computers.

OP: I am not exactly sure how the courts work in NC but a process server that also deals with investigations might be able to help you. For a fee of course.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:29 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times
You can do a court query here:

Calendars / District and Superior Court

If you have a warrant for your arrest for charges that have not been served it will not show up though. Typically the only way to find out if you have a warrant is to present yourself for your counties warrant control (and be prepared to bond if you believe you have a charge). They typically won't give the info out over the phone.

If you want to PM me I'll talk you through the process. (I'm a criminal defense atty).

Old 02-08-2017, 02:34 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
How can one not know they have been charged (repeatedly?) with a crime?

Old 02-08-2017, 03:02 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
A background check will not list pending criminal matters, only things that have been resolved with the courts. The OP seems to be looking for charges and warrants - not resolved court cases. I believe the only way to find pending court matters would be to go to the county clerks and have a search done on their computers.

OP: I am not exactly sure how the courts work in NC but a process server that also deals with investigations might be able to help you. For a fee of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
How can one not know they have been charged (repeatedly?) with a crime?
I think its more about making sure they have taken care of their legal issues. I once found out I had a warrant out because of an old seatbelt/no proof of insurance ticket. I had taken care of the insurance part, but not the seatbelt ticket.

OP could also be concerned about missing a court date, which would lead to a warrant.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think its more about making sure they have taken care of their legal issues. I once found out I had a warrant out because of an old seatbelt/no proof of insurance ticket. I had taken care of the insurance part, but not the seatbelt ticket.

OP could also be concerned about missing a court date, which would lead to a warrant.
The OP has only been in NC for a couple of months - unless they have specifically done something wrong, I could not imagine that they would have any warrants/criminal complaints against them. Unless, something from a previous state has followed them to NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary