Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:34 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times

Advertisements

These are all great, that Brier Creek one is creepy as hell! I'm going to be visiting probably all of these. I'm off all week lol. Please, keep them coming!! I know there's more. There's one right off NC 540 around right before exit 66 that looks totally bizarre. Anyone know what they are?

Also still curious if anyone knows where I can maybe park and hike a but to higher ground where I can see tons of rooftops!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 10:15 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,544,526 times
Hints for "looking down" photos: bridges and parking garages are often the tallest structures in an area. There are more parking garages than you might think, at apartment complexes and office buildings.

Or, buy a drone.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:25 PM

60 posts, read 98,914 times
The Hedingham subdivision just off New Hope Road is filled with houses and townhouses (especially townhouses lol) that all look very similar to each other. The picture that I attached are some townhouses on Black Wolf Run.
Attached Thumbnails
Photographing Suburbia-screenshot_2017-02-14-15-18-05  

Old 02-14-2017, 01:35 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,727,897 times
Urban exploration is your friend. You'll see rooftops and so much more that the general
public never sees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Also still curious if anyone knows where I can maybe park and hike a but to higher ground where I can see tons of rooftops!

Old 02-17-2017, 06:17 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
I don't know the area well enough to tell you exactly where it is but there was a big development in Apex, which I seem to remember being right near the town. Old Mill Village Drive perhaps? If you look at it from the satellite map view, you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Go over to Carolina Preserve. My parents have lived there for 7 years and I still
have to look for their car in the driveway to figure out which house is theirs. Someone strategically planted an arborvitae in front of the house number for each house too. I legit am surprised most of those people find their way back to their own homes.
Like Norasmom posted, the houses in CP all have varying color schemes and slight difference, but even with the landscaping grown in it's scary.
UGH lol

I grew up in Levittown NY where, for the ones who don't know, there were only 2 types of homes built, all during the same time, in mass developments on lots less than a 1/4 acre. It was normal to me as a kid. A novelty even.

Now, I want to avoid that at all costs. These photos make me feel claustrophobic and uncomfortable. This is one of the reasons we're focusing on North Raleigh. I know there are developments there too but we're looking for space and diversity in housing.

I'm reminded of this old song, I first heard it when I used to watch Weeds and it always made me chuckle:

Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky,1
Little boxes all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses
All went to the university,
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same,
And there's doctors and lawyers,
And business executives,

And they all play on the golf course
And drink their martinis dry,
And they all have pretty children
And the children go to school,
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university,
Where they are put in boxes
And they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business
And marry and raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky

Old 02-17-2017, 06:33 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I don't know the area well enough to tell you exactly where it is but there was a big development in Apex, which I seem to remember being right near the town. Old Mill Village Drive perhaps? If you look at it from the satellite map view, you'll see what I mean.

UGH lol

I grew up in Levittown NY where, for the ones who don't know, there were only 2 types of homes built, all during the same time, in mass developments on lots less than a 1/4 acre. It was normal to me as a kid. A novelty even.

Now, I want to avoid that at all costs. These photos make me feel claustrophobic and uncomfortable. This is one of the reasons we're focusing on North Raleigh. I know there are developments there too but we're looking for space and diversity in housing.

I'm reminded of this old song, I first heard it when I used to watch Weeds and it always made me chuckle:

Little boxes made of ticky tacky,1
Little boxes all the same.

And the people in the houses
All went to the university,
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same,
And there's doctors and lawyers,
And business executives,

And they all play on the golf course
And drink their martinis dry,
And they all have pretty children
And the children go to school,
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university,
Where they are put in boxes
And they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business
And marry and raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky
"Villages of Apex"

10 years ago that was the only undeveloped land in central Apex. It t had been left undeveloped because it was between two sets of rail lines......then a developer from NJ boughtt it and built those gawdy houses on zero lot lines that look straight out of a dystopian horror/comedy netflix film.

Construction started right before the recession and then halted for several years; from roughly 2007-2010 most of that land had been cleared and had the street-grids already lined out but with no structures with the exception of 3 or 4 sets of houses scattered throughout.....looked like a nuclear testing site. Now it's filled in and feels like Stepford.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:42 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUwUp-D_VV0

Pete Seeger's song "Little Boxes" is a good way to describe this area (and most suburbs for that matter). It is almost completely suburban here except for a few areas in the downtowns. The only difference between today's suburbs and Pete Seeger's suburbs is that the "Little Boxes" are all bigger now.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:00 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Prejudice is never pretty.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:44 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,930 times
You can park at the Apex skate park and take pics of the villages of Apex neighborhood, Go to North Cary Park, and takes pics of the neighborhoods along the Greenway and enjoy a good view at Lake Crabtree, Also go to Stone Creek, park and get a few shots in.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:46 AM

269 posts, read 321,993 times
Look on Google Maps for Ivory Rose Lane in Raleigh. You can get a good overhead view of that entire nightmarish subdivision from the parking garage in their backyards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary