Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 05:31 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
It just won't let me rep you enough
"We are one with the Force and the Force is within us," PW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 05:35 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes. Prejudice is when one eagerly makes judgements on the most superficial basis.
To paraphrase a contemporary of Pete Seeger: "I dream of a day when people will be judged for the content of their character, not for the color or style of their home."

I have worked with so many really wonderful people who have wants and needs that lead them to make housing choices that I wouldn't make for my own reasons.
I live in a somewhat cookie cutter neighborhood, and know that in our fairly similar homes, real and decent people with real lives have a Rembrandt model just like mine.

Yep, sadly, the thread drips with snark.
Ok, but I'm going to flip that around (and with literally great respect as you're one of my favorite posters) -

Unless I'm misinterpreting...why should it be assumed that the people who live in these neighborhoods are at a station in life that is lacking in any way? I can't speak for other posters, but I have zero guilt or shame over thinking that neighborhood on ACC boulevard is a stifling suburban hell that is a perfect example of what OP wanted.

I personally don't see "prejudice" as applying to blanket dislike for prime examples of suburban dystopia - I'll save that for oppressed and traditionally discriminated populations/races...not bland housing developments.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Ok, but I'm going to flip that around (and with literally great respect as you're one of my favorite posters) -

Unless I'm misinterpreting...why should it be assumed that the people who live in these neighborhoods are at a station in life that is lacking in any way? I can't speak for other posters, but I have zero guilt or shame over thinking that neighborhood on ACC boulevard is a stifling suburban hell that is a perfect example of what OP wanted.

I personally don't see "prejudice" as applying to blanket dislike for prime examples of suburban dystopia - I'll save that for oppressed populations/races...
ETA... Thank you for the compliment!

Snarky prejudice is implicit in the tone and mention of people and their choices.

Pete Seeger's song so very much supports the notion that we judge people based on housing choices. "And they come out all the same." That is pretty close to dismissive hatred.

Pete did better stuff, for sure, but this one appeals to a nasty side of people.

Apple did MUCH better than Pete did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zfqw8nhUwA

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-18-2017 at 05:53 AM..

Old 02-18-2017, 05:59 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
K.

It's definitely time for me to back away from this particular thread. I completely resent being told I'm prejudiced for providing an example of the the worst of suburbia for the OP's thread.

That is completely out of line.

I think I'll instead go donate what I was going to spend on a movie ticket today to the Southern Poverty Law Center (again) - and maybe spend some time today thinking if there's anything I can do for refugees, or try and figure out what I can do for my nephew with special needs who is in public school and may not get the great services he used to get - and I think I'll go do a little reading about the 48 (?) synagogues that have recently been the target of hate crimes.

Shame on me!

Old 02-18-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
K.

It's definitely time for me to back away from this particular thread. I completely resent being told I'm prejudiced for providing an example of the the worst of suburbia for the OP's thread.

That is completely out of line.

I think I'll instead go donate what I was going to spend on a movie ticket today to the Southern Poverty Law Center (again) - and maybe spend some time today thinking if there's anything I can do for refugees, or try and figure out what I can do for my nephew with special needs who is in public school and may not get the great services he used to get - and I think I'll go do a little reading about the 48 (?) synagogues that have recently been the target of hate crimes.

Shame on me!

If you discuss design, and avoid people or choices, obviously, you are not promoting prejudice.

It is a fundamental ethical truism in real estate: We sell dirt and improvements on it. We don't sell people, and we don't discuss people.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:18 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
I think what bothers me most is that people play right into the developer's hands by buying houses like this. The cost to build a complex like the above is so ridiculously low, and the ultimate sales price doesn't reflect that.

Of course this isn't the developer's fault, they're just out to make as many bucks as possible. It's the cities and towns' fault for approving.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think what bothers me most is that people play right into the developer's hands by buying houses like this. The cost to build a complex like the above is so ridiculously low, and the ultimate sales price doesn't reflect that.

Of course this isn't the developer's fault, they're just out to make as many bucks as possible. It's the cities and towns' fault for approving.
What design(s) would you approve for everyone?

Would it be cost effective?

Old 02-18-2017, 07:02 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Everyone should relax a bit. The snark is all in good fun, poking fun at the general suburban extremeness of the area. No one is actually looking down at the people who live in these developments. There is also quite a bit of difference in taking pics of cookie cutter subdivisions and making fun of poor people in the projects. I'm taking the pics for my photography collection. Snark comments are just part of the fun

Prejudice. Really lol

Old 02-18-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Everyone should relax a bit. The snark is all in good fun, poking fun at the general suburban extremeness of the area. No one is actually looking down at the people who live in these developments. There is also quite a bit of difference in taking pics of cookie cutter subdivisions and making fun of poor people in the projects. I'm taking the pics for my photography collection. Snark comments are just part of the fun

Prejudice. Really lol
Shucks, I love photos of houses and subdivisions. I have over 15,000 up on Flickr.
Actually, when I enjoy the design, I like repetition in design. It has been around for centuries, and is sometimes carried off nicely down through history.

Yes, unfortunately, there is distinct "ticky tacky" disparagement in the thread.

Caution:
The following may make sensitive eyes bleed a little or even explode....

by Mike Jaquish, on Flickr

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-18-2017 at 07:20 AM..

Old 02-18-2017, 07:21 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What design(s) would you approve for everyone?

Would it be cost effective?
In the 80's and 90's they built subdivisions with land, trees, and setbacks. What has changed that it can't be done now?

I think it's a combination of buyer ignorance and "keeping up with the jones'" I think a lot of buyers take no consideration into the amount of land they're buying, completely oblivious to the fact that the land is the investment, not the house. People are so caught up in getting their sparkly new house, that nothing else matters. Because of this, developers can build out subdivisions like that pictured above, and sell them for a ridiculous premium because people will buy them.

i realize higher density ultimately keeps taxes lower for everyone, but I think there's a compromise somewhere there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary