Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 06:51 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,276,273 times

Advertisements

Transplants - what did you do to get your belongings down to Raleigh and how was your experience? Please share all the details, especially the company name.

I'm going back and forth on this one. Originally I thought a moving company would be great, less work for me, and we can afford it. But after doing some research it seems there are issues with breakage, theft, late arrivals, some even holding belongings for ransom when disputes arose.

So I thought a PODS type thing might be good. We only have a 2 bedroom home and I've already purged all our useless items. There would be less chance of breakage because we'd pack it ourselves, and we used them to move into our current home. But we'd need help with two particularly heavy pieces of furniture here, and definitely need to find locals there to move all the furniture in as we are going to try to get a 2nd or 3rd floor rental with no elevators.

I could go either way, depending on how much I find out about each option. I'd appreciate any advice and opinions.

Last edited by greenie72; 03-14-2017 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 06:55 AM

22,674 posts, read 36,826,713 times
We used full service movers but we packed everything ourselves - you are seriously upping your cost if you have the movers pack your stuff. We had no issues - everything made it here, and made it here unscathed. PODS is an option, but it's no cheaper than a mover and you'll have to bring everything to the POD and then into your new place. I had no intention of doing anymore back breaking work than packing, especially with three kids in tow.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:56 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,609,856 times
I used a full service mover and it was a nightmare, but I know people who have had very good luck with UPack.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:07 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times
I think TROSA does out of the area moves, too. I'd consider them. They're a great local organization. We used them to move my mom up to the Triangle from elsewhere in NC. I have read a couple of horror stories of transplants, especially transplants from the Northeast, who have gotten burned by moving companies.

Home - TROSA Moving

Old 03-14-2017, 07:41 AM

333 posts, read 287,529 times
I had a stellar experience with a full-service mover. They did most everything, nothing was lost or broken. The price was as quoted.I recommended them to friends moving here from NJ, same experience.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We used full service movers but we packed everything ourselves - you are seriously upping your cost if you have the movers pack your stuff. We had no issues - everything made it here, and made it here unscathed. PODS is an option, but it's no cheaper than a mover and you'll have to bring everything to the POD and then into your new place. I had no intention of doing anymore back breaking work than packing, especially with three kids in tow.
I have already packed all non-essentials and plan to do the rest myself. I even have that plastic wrap stuff for the furniture, so that's alright too. You bring up a good point about cost, I assumed PODS would be cheaper but when you add the labor on the other end, it may not be.

Do you mind sharing who you used? Were they on time, professional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I used a full service mover and it was a nightmare, but I know people who have had very good luck with UPack.
Uh oh. Who was the mover and what happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think TROSA does out of the area moves, too. I'd consider them. They're a great local organization. We used them to move my mom up to the Triangle from elsewhere in NC. I have read a couple of horror stories of transplants, especially transplants from the Northeast, who have gotten burned by moving companies.

Home - TROSA Moving

Thank you. My parents have a mover they trust too, so maybe I'll have options.

What were the horror stories?

Old 03-14-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
I had a stellar experience with a full-service mover. They did most everything, nothing was lost or broken. The price was as quoted.I recommended them to friends moving here from NJ, same experience.
Details please? What was the company name?

Old 03-14-2017, 07:46 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,282,179 times
We used full service and had no issues. Had them pack fragile items only, that way they were on the hook if anything broke.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:47 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,453,077 times
I had a friend use PODS. It was fine but she was without her stuff for a little while.

When I was doing an in town move I hired two young entrepreneurs off of Craigslist. Similarly, I only needed them to move a half dozen pieces too big to handle on my own. I booked them for a 2 hour minimum and it was fine. I arranged it the day or two days before. I'm sure you could do the same thing.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:21 AM

22,674 posts, read 36,826,713 times
We used Bay Shore Moving and Storage which is the local (NYC area/LI) affiliate of Allied van lines. They did a great job. They also came in 10% less than quoted.

My sister and my parents used them too with no issues for LI--->NC moves.

I can't remember when you plan on moving but the time to get quotes is NOW. Mover from northeast to southeast book up fast for the summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary