Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 01:18 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
I'm sure there's a reason for them. Just wondering if there's any data that shows why they're better.
So more people can turn left without having to wait till you come all the way back around to the point in the signal cycle where it's a protected left turn (or if it's a pretty low volume left turn movement, you don't have to dedicate time in the signal cycle for those protected left turns if they could find a gap in the traffic otherwise so there's more time in the cycle for traffic going straight or for the side streets).

That and so people know whether they're supposed to yield or not when turning.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:24 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:
Yeah, I figured that. But trying to explain that to her was just like trying to explain math homework to her when she was in 3rd grade... "NO! That's NOT how my teacher explained it!"
I can totally relate!

Old 10-26-2017, 01:28 PM

I did find a research study that the safety unit at NCDOT did about the flashing yellow arrows (from a safety standpoint): https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/...ow%20Arrow.pdf

Results
The results were broken down into four categories based on the prior left turn display and which type of FYA was implemented. The largest category included 105 intersections where at least one left turn display was converted from a 5‐section “doghouse” protected/permissive left turn to a 4‐section FYA protected/permissive left turn. In this category, the signal phasing remained unchanged, only the left turn display(s) changed.

The results for this particular FYA category indicate a:
7% Reduction in Total Crashes,
15% Reduction in Fatal and Injury Crashes, and
22% Reduction in Left Turn Crashes on Approaches Treated with FYA

Old 10-26-2017, 01:29 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
Quote:
My daughter insists that her driver's ed teacher taught her that whoever is turning right goes first at a 4-way stop. Calgon....
...or handle it the way 1/2 of Raleigh does.
They have no clue so they sit there and wave others on until everyone else is gone.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:19 PM

353 posts, read 458,293 times
I saw someone make a u-turn on Western Blvd today. Through the cement median. While babbling away on their cell phone. About 5 seconds before a cop drove past me going the same direction. I did not see lights so I assume the cop did nothing.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
So more people can turn left without having to wait till you come all the way back around to the point in the signal cycle where it's a protected left turn (or if it's a pretty low volume left turn movement, you don't have to dedicate time in the signal cycle for those protected left turns if they could find a gap in the traffic otherwise so there's more time in the cycle for traffic going straight or for the side streets).

That and so people know whether they're supposed to yield or not when turning.
I guess my point is that there is no difference between a flashing yellow left turn signal and a green ball. As for yielding when you turn left. You always yield when you're turning left. The only time you don't is when you have a green arrow.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:54 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I hate that u-turns have to yield to right turns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Me too! It is much easier for the right turner to yield for the u-turner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I agree the right turn should yield to the u-turn. It's really dangerous to stop while attempting a u-turn on a green arrow - nobody behind you is expecting it. I feel like people making a right have a much clearer view into what's happening ahead.

Plus on a green left arrow, people are worry about nothing else except getting themselves through that intersection, where on a right turn, people still have an opportunity for a right-on-red.
How does the right turn driver know that the person making a U-Turn is not making a simple left - which is normally expected. The person making the right should not have to yield because they have no way of knowing what the other driver is doing.

IMO, The person making the U has more knowledge and should therefore be the one with more responsibility.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 10-28-2017 at 04:02 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I guess my point is that there is no difference between a flashing yellow left turn signal and a green ball. As for yielding when you turn left. You always yield when you're turning left. The only time you don't is when you have a green arrow.
Let's say for example there's a road going north-south and there are a lot of people turning left southbound and not a lot of people turning left going northbound that can find gaps in the traffic and clear out without a protected left turn. Normally if there was a protected left turn, it would mean that the left turns would go simultaneously and hold up the traffic going straight so that those left turns could go. With the flashing yellow arrow, the southbound left turning traffic can get a protected left turn, the southbound traffic going straight can start going (and get more vehicles through the intersection per cycle in that direction), and the northbound lefts can get a flashing yellow arrow to begin trying to make that left turn if there is a gap in the southbound traffic going straight. Meanwhile, because of the southbound protected left turns, the northbound traffic going straight is stopped so they would not get a green ball.

The flashing yellow arrow is needed in this scenario.

Also I imagine it's confusing for a driver if you have a green arrow, and then go to a green ball. The flashing yellow arrow indicates to the driver that even though the protected left turn time is over, you can still try and turn left (and keep the same signal indicator for that movement)

Old 10-28-2017, 10:51 PM

Oh and the flashing yellow arrow also prevents what's called the "Yellow Trap" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_trap
(where the light turns yellow/red on one side but the light stays green on the other side, but the left turning vehicles assume the other side is also yellow/red and attempt to make the turn)

Old 11-02-2017, 03:21 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Good to see the driver's ed system is working out well.
How do you know where OP learned to drive?

Anyway, OP's username starts with CRASH...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary