Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 07:17 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Imagine how much the natives miss it.
It was nice here in the 50's. It was like a big Mayberry

Old 12-24-2017, 10:19 AM

127 posts, read 135,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Well it sounds like you're on the right track then. Have you been to Raleigh at all? My biggest hobby right now is hiking/walking and there are lots of places I'm discovering (and going back to my favorites).
Where?
Haven't found anywhere yet that is that great, although I'm more of a runner unless it's mountains. Haven't found a spot where a lot of people hit, so maybe I'm missing it?

To answer op. It's ok, but I'd say the area in general lacks a certain sense of vibrancy/uniqueness, which is a bit frustrating. I'd say here looks better on paper than it is. Everything here is too family friendly, and too monocultural

Old 12-24-2017, 10:35 AM

90 posts, read 89,780 times
I have kids so Raleigh is a nice, mostly safe place for them.....but bland.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:38 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickJoin View Post
Where?
Haven't found anywhere yet that is that great, although I'm more of a runner unless it's mountains. Haven't found a spot where a lot of people hit, so maybe I'm missing it?

To answer op. It's ok, but I'd say the area in general lacks a certain sense of vibrancy/uniqueness, which is a bit frustrating. I'd say here looks better on paper than it is. Everything here is too family friendly, and too monocultural
Of the places I've gone for more miles, I'd say the best is Umstead. Company Mill and Sycamore trails are my favorites and there's a spur that connects them but there are other trails there that are flatter terrain. I see a lot of runners on these trails. I'm not sure where you are but I follow a trail runner on Instagram and he posts locations of Duke Forest, American Tobacco Trail, Carolina North Forest.

I live on Lake Johnson and there are a lot of people there on the paved portion since it's a loop and convenient to get to.

Then there's the Neuse River Trail too.

Where do you live and how far would you be willing to go?

Old 12-27-2017, 08:55 PM

183 posts, read 454,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I don't regret it, but I think I've stayed a little longer than I could have - my job is remote and I have zero family here...have friends here but not the "tribe" I have in other cities...I'll probably make a move next year. Problem is, my mortgage is so affordable here ...

I'm actually checking into Richmond, so just a slight upping of urban living and just a bit further north. But also a town in southern NJ that has really intrigued me. The new tax bill may put a damper on that, though (property taxes/state taxes).

If Raleigh weren't so unbelievably expensive I would consider moving close to downtown but if I have to pay that much it's not going to be here.

It's fine here (I hear people in my head admonishing there must be a problem with me if I can't make it work here)...nothing wrong with it...but I have zero ties here and it's time to move on.

OP you had such strong hesitation that I'm glad you realized right away it wouldn't be a good move for you. But your poor family member! Maybe you could pay their broker fee to get another place... ?
Norasmom I really hope you find your place!

We finally left the Raleigh area + moved back to Florida. (South FL this time) We are super happy. Raleigh did not do it for me. I tried 2x.

The entire area of NC between the mountains and beaches seems very stagnant to me.
I’m just not a fan of the endless pine tree area.

Last edited by saintpetegirl; 12-27-2017 at 09:39 PM..

Old 12-28-2017, 02:32 AM

609 posts, read 505,553 times
Check RTR- Raleigh Trail Runners on meetup.com . They have group runs almost everyday around Umstead. There are multiple excellent running trails there with various degrees of difficulties. RTR also run in other places around the Triangle: Durham, MTS trail, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickJoin View Post
Where?

Old 12-28-2017, 03:40 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

I'm actually checking into Richmond....

You’re willingly moving to Richmond? Cant say I’ve heard that one before. First time for everything .

Old 12-28-2017, 04:59 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

You’re willingly moving to Richmond? Cant say I’ve heard that one before. First time for everything .
Richmond seems pretty cool. Smells bad along I-95 coming into town because of the water treatment plant there but otherwise I've enjoyed the limited time I've spent there!

There is a small but notable pipeline between the Triangle and Richmond associations of my employer and Richmond branches attract more Triangle transplants than vice versa despite Triangle having 3x the amount of branches and double the amount of positions (yes I know how anecdotal that is! haha)

Old 12-28-2017, 05:42 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

I'm not moving there, I haven't even checked it out yet. But I hear that the fan district and thereabouts is really interesting.

I'm tired of Durham's hipsterish gentrification and completely unaffordable downtown and walking around down there and STILL wondering where all the people actually are.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:44 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Richmond seems pretty cool. Smells bad along I-95 coming into town because of the water treatment plant there but otherwise I've enjoyed the limited time I've spent there!

There is a small but notable pipeline between the Triangle and Richmond associations of my employer and Richmond branches attract more Triangle transplants than vice versa despite Triangle having 3x the amount of branches and double the amount of positions (yes I know how anecdotal that is! haha)
Oh funny!

Yeah I've never liked the part off I-95 and never would have considered it, but someone who knows me well encouraged me to check out the parts west - it's such an easy drive, no reason not to make a small road trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary