Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:59 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times

Advertisements

NCDOT is holding a public meeting tomorrow to discuss widening Ten-Ten Road between Apex Peakway and Kildare Farm Road.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14888

Quote:
A proposal to widen Ten Ten Road between Apex Peakway and Kildare Farm Road in Wake County will be the subject of a public meeting in Apex on Thursday, March 1.

To relieve congestion in that rapidly growing area, the N.C. Department of Transportation is looking at widening Ten Ten Road to a median-divided, four-lane facility, with six lanes for part of the project, as well as a sidewalk on one side and a multi-use path on the other for the section of road between Apex Peakway and Penny Road. The project would include the replacement of the Ten Ten Road bridge over U.S. 1.

Two alternatives are being studied for the widening, both of which would slightly move the location of the roadway, enabling the current bridge to remain open while the new one is being built. That will eliminate the need for a detour route.

One alternative is a traditional widening of the road. The other plan would do the same in terms of number of lanes, but would convert the traditional intersections into a superstreet style, which prevents motorists on side streets from turning left onto Ten Ten Road. That would reduce potential side-impact crashes and improve traffic flow on the main road itself.

Maps and other information about the project are available online at the public meetings section of the NCDOT website.

The meeting will be from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Summit Church, 3000 Lufkin Road. Area residents can talk to NCDOT representatives, view larger scale maps of the two proposals, and leave written comments. No formal presentation will be made so visitors can stop by anytime during meeting hours.

Comments received from the public through March 15 will be considered as the department selects its preferred alternative. Comments can be made at NCDOT’s public Engagement Platform site for the project, https://ncdot.publicinput.com/tenten_apexcary. If anyone has additional questions, they should contact NCDOT Senior Project Engineer Zahid Baloch, PE, at zbaloch@ncdot.gov or (919) 707-6012.

Once the preferred alternative is selected, another public meeting is expected to be held this summer. Considerable planning remains regardless of the choice, with the estimated start of construction in spring 2023.

Last edited by RedZin; 03-01-2018 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Made specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:40 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
This is today, right?

Old 03-01-2018, 07:41 AM

32 posts, read 51,473 times
I guess I have 5 years to move off of ten ten before construction starts. Lol

Old 03-01-2018, 07:46 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
I'd be happy if they'd just add turn lanes all the way through to at least 401.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:08 AM

32 posts, read 51,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I'd be happy if they'd just add turn lanes all the way through to at least 401.
I agree. I live in a apartment complex on ten-ten rd. We have no turning lane into our community, so every time I turn I feel like I'm being forced off the road by the cars behind me because they don't slow down. People suck obviously, so the turning lane would be great. Lol.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:28 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Scan car crashes on youtube and you will see left turns are a terrible thing to do. I hope the plan avoids as many as possible no matter how long it takes to build the road.
I also think the intersection of 1010 and westward needs to be updated.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:04 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
This is going to be six lanes with a median at least as far east as Penny Road. Talk about a big change.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:14 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
Yes, the meeting is today 4-7 pm at the church behind Sheetz.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about both proposals but just by looking at the maps the superstreet design doesn't seem to be suitable for the area. There are too many existing subdivisions and businesses that go out directly to Ten Ten. It's not at all like the setting around 55. None of other major streets nearby, like Kildaire or Tryon or Cary Pkwy are "super" and it works fine.

Our neighborhood would have to turn right and then very quicky shift 2 lanes to make a u-turn. I'm not sure it's a much safer option. Right now in rush hour it's simply impossible to turn left, so I either take the backroads to Penny Rd or turn right and then u-turn but that doesn't involve any lane changes. Also we'd lose a left turn coming into our subdivision. And everyone who commutes on Hwy 1 uses it. There is no traffic in opposite direction and it's never a problem. With "superstreet" we all will have to drive past it to Penny Rd and then back. This seems terribly wasteful.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:17 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Thanks for the thread fix, Red.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:44 PM

85 posts, read 94,643 times
I live near Penny and TenTen. I can't make the meeting but hope others who attend will update this thread. I'm anxious to hear about the proposed changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary