Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times

Advertisements

So what does WalMart charge for regular eye exams if contact exams cost more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 AM

41 posts, read 229,176 times
I think Walmart is your best bet in Cary , and some places will give you a discount if you carry AAA insurance , like lens crafters. I dont think you will get anything less than $100 though.
Anjana Kenney

Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
This is just a thought, but would it be possible to go for an annual eye exam at a regular opthamologist and have your medical insurance pay for it (if you have it and haven't used up your one free annual eye exam)?
I don't wear contacts but my daughter does and I can't imagine our opthamologist not giving her a new RX for contacts after an eye exam if she needed them and our medical insurance pays for one free eye exam a year.
the doctor at walmart also accepts insurance

Old 03-25-2008, 10:04 AM

37 posts, read 173,349 times
Default Contact lens fitting

The problem with contact lenses is that you have to pay an exam fee ( assuming you need an exam) and then you have to pay a contact lense fitting fee. Even with great insurance, I still have to pay $40 out-of-pocket for my lens fitting fee (that was at Target) ...add the $40 to a typical $50 charge for an exam and voila! you have almost $100!

You can't simply get a regular eye exam and then ask the doctor to write you a contact prescription. They need to measure your cornea for curvature...yadda yadda....technical stuff i'm not sure. Believe me, I have insurance but wanted to buy contacts and glasses this year (my ins. only covers one) so I've been talking to some eye dr. offices and that's the rundown. If you have NO insurance, I doubt you'll find anywhere who will give you an eye exam plus the contact lens fitting fee for much under $100 total!

Old 09-01-2010, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 40,971 times
This is crazy I have been looking for just plain colored contacts non-prescription and the want an eye exam, that cost more than her last exam for glasses and my insurance don't cover it because its cosmetic, well if its cosmetic why do i need a exam, why cant i just buy the contacts. its just another way for these dam doctors to make more money. keep the rich, rich and the poor poor. What next I am going to need a prescription to get my hair and nails done to.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Our daughter goes to Wal-Mart....BrierCreek for her contact exams. I'll give you an exact amount tomorrow because she's going for one. I know for a fact it must be a very reasonable price or my wife wouldn't be sending her all the way out there

Old 09-01-2010, 12:38 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Our daughter goes to Wal-Mart....BrierCreek for her contact exams. I'll give you an exact amount tomorrow because she's going for one. I know for a fact it must be a very reasonable price or my wife wouldn't be sending her all the way out there
No rush -- the OP started this thread 2-1/2 years ago .....

Old 09-01-2010, 12:45 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslee View Post
This is crazy I have been looking for just plain colored contacts non-prescription and the want an eye exam, that cost more than her last exam for glasses and my insurance don't cover it because its cosmetic, well if its cosmetic why do i need a exam, why cant i just buy the contacts. its just another way for these dam doctors to make more money. keep the rich, rich and the poor poor. What next I am going to need a prescription to get my hair and nails done to.
Just because it is cosmetic does not mean it is without risk. For example, even with "cosmetic" contacts one thing you need to look out for is corneal vascularization, hence the need for regular exams.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:40 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
No rush -- the OP started this thread 2-1/2 years ago .....
Nope...I guess it really isn't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary