Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 09:24 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
That's the thing with HT. The people who say it's expensive aren't shopping the VIC specials. I always look at the specials and that typically drives what I'm buying for the week. I save a ton that way.
+1

And re the bad experiences at FL, we've never had any at the 2 we frequent but I am certain that FLs from having visited others have varying levels of quality so not surprised that some are not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 09:51 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

We shop the specials hard.
It works partly because I will eat almost anything if it is on sale.
And, I don't mind stocking up BOGOs or Buy 2, get 3 Free deals.
I drive my wife nuts. I see the yellow sale tags before I see what they are on.

HT sure knows that Wegman's is coming on Davis Drive.
$10 coupons weekly on $50 purchases, and plenty of specials.
Wegmans has been competing with Harris Teeter in Maryland and Virginia for years.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:50 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what are your top 3 things from TJ's, not named cheap wine?
Can't name just 3 things. Yogurt, cheese, canned goods, spaghetti sauce, condiments, frozen food, cereal, bread, chips, crackers, snacks, fresh flowers, etc., etc. All different/better/less expensive than anywhere else.

The wine isn't "cheap", its a tremendous value. And frankly, its reason enough to go there by itself.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:56 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
TJ's is awesome for those unique items and they have great prices on pretty much everything. Their stores are small and busy which is why I couldn't do all my shopping there but I could definitely go there once every couple weeks. Costco is great for meat and many other things. Harris Teeter is great because it's right by my house but pretty much everything else sucks. Produce is sub par, prices are not great, customer service is very lackluster. If it wasnt close to my house I would never shop there. Whole Foods also has some cool stuff and their produce is top notch. Price is obviously high on most things but they are competitively priced on some house brand stuff. Kroger was definitely better than Harris Teeter in most regards. Wegmans sounds like it will do very well here and its definitely going to make that little side of town even more desirable. I can see that area getting more transformed as time goes on.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:14 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
As a single person, I find that I can do 99% of my grocery shopping by hitting up Trader Joe’s and then The Butcher’s Market farther up Falls of Neuse. Yay specialty stores! I do go to TJ’s either before work or late at night to avoid the crowds.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:47 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
After spending last summer in Syracuse, I now love Wegmans enough that I am absolutely shopping at this Raleigh location though I live in Durham close to Chapel Hill. I won't go every week, but probably 2x/month.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:53 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
As a single person, I find that I can do 99% of my grocery shopping by hitting up Trader Joe’s and then The Butcher’s Market farther up Falls of Neuse. Yay specialty stores! I do go to TJ’s either before work or late at night to avoid the crowds.
Really good steak tips there.

I havent found a place that carries what they call steak tips in Boston (technically faux hanger/bevette), but the tips there are great as a substitute.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:34 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Yes, it reminds me of how Lowe's Foods now looks plus add in clucking chickens and mooing cows. Luckily, the bacon aisle didn't have any oinking pigs. Even so I felt like donning a pair of overalls and slopping around in the mud right there in the grocery store!

You know what Lowes Foods is underrated, they don't have the best prices, but lots of local stuff, good design, chicken kitchen is delicious, pizzas and sandwiches are pretty good too, and it's not here yet, but the new stores will have what triad and some charlotte stores already have, which is the smoke house, where they have smoker, smoking meats low and slow and it's bleeping delicious.

Was in charlotte and the one there had the smoke house feature and I've been asking store managers here ever since when are triangle area stores going to get the smoke house. boxcar coffee station is nice too, for some reason none of the triangle areas have these but one of the managers here in Cary told me their new store will have all the features.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:09 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
You know what Lowes Foods is underrated, they don't have the best prices, but lots of local stuff, good design, chicken kitchen is delicious, pizzas and sandwiches are pretty good too, and it's not here yet, but the new stores will have what triad and some charlotte stores already have, which is the smoke house, where they have smoker, smoking meats low and slow and it's bleeping delicious.

Was in charlotte and the one there had the smoke house feature and I've been asking store managers here ever since when are triangle area stores going to get the smoke house. boxcar coffee station is nice too, for some reason none of the triangle areas have these but one of the managers here in Cary told me their new store will have all the features.

Lowes has been gone from the Charlotte area for several years.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:19 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Lowes has been gone from the Charlotte area for several years.
There's one in Harrisburg and in Mooresville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary