Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 2,987 times

Advertisements

I am finally (after years of saying I was doing it) going to take the real estate class and attempt to get my license. Can anyone recommend (either from personal experience or other's ) the better schools?. I am kind of ticked that NC demands you take the seated class. Other states do not require this, I prefer online as I took those all through college with much success.

Any feedback/insight is appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 12:58 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Taking a single class/test is minimal if you ask me. I personally feel that there should be more required - these people are assisting with most people's largest financial investment and there's much that can go wrong.

Anyhow - there is a thread somewhere here on the same topic of schools. I did a quick search but couldn't find it. It's out there though. I think HPW and Fonsville Morisey are the two bigger ones. I believe someone once mentioned that Wake Tech does it as well, and it's less expensive.

Yup: https://www.waketech.edu/programs-co...er/real-estate

Old 08-01-2018, 03:55 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
since you asked the ? - in my opinion, if you can't be bothered to physically show up for class, then I don't care if you get a license - for reasons stated above. There shouldn't be any "attempt to get my license". A high schooler who can read and learn, and do basic math, and doesn't have test anxiety, can pass the test.

Now, if you have some physical limitation, that's certainly different. But if you're going to make a living off your license, you're going to have to overcome that limitation anyway.

I went to HPW many moons ago. It's a great school. Fonville Morisey also has a great school. Go Realty has a good, modern-method school.

But all getting your license does is make you legal. It doesn't scratch the surface of what it takes to practice as a professional.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:18 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
I am with Bo.
I want to see pre-licensees sit in class.

And, the specific school is less important than the instructor and the student.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:26 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,731,560 times
I'm kind of siding with everyone else here, unless you are pulling down an existing job and online works with your hours.

Being in a physical class is time well spent and also you're going to have to deal with being around people on a regular basis doing real-estate. Online classes in my opinion put people in too much of a comfort zone.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:45 PM

I work full time currently (40-50 hours), that is one reason going to the seated class may be difficult. I have sold four properties my parents owned as rentals so I know I can do it. I asked for opinions on schools...not on my character or ability to pass the test and do the job. And, I have heard of some who barely pass or fail the test the first time so I would not say any high schooler could pass the test. I do thank all of you for the input so far.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:51 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
They do Saturday classes.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:54 PM

I am looking into weekend classes, juggling life and work is the only stumbling block. I am going to find a way to make it work though.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:34 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Find one that is close to your house.

I went to JY Monk in N. Raleigh. I live in Chapel Hill. It was a 35 minute drive there and back on the weekends; would have been MUCH longer if I'd done the weekday evening class.

I was working full-time so weekends were my only option as well.

Class was fine; instruction the same as it is in every other pre-licensing class in the state. Instructor (I realize now) was scatter-brained and now that I can look her up in MLS....a really unproductive agent with non-pragmatic "advice" for when you actually work as an agent.

Doing my post-licensing at FM School. One because I am now a Fonville Morisey agent and thus the courses are cheaper for me there; and two because one of the schools locations is in Southpoint about 10 minutes from my house and 5 minutes from my office.

If I were going to do it all over again; I would have gone to FM school at southpoint to avoid the commute. Passed first try though!

When you open the book, and you start reading about RE practices, policies, etc......if it doesn't make you excited about the career and drive you get excited about going to class and moving forward.....it's probably not the right choice for you.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:09 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,817,323 times
I went to FM school while working full time. Passed the exam the first time. Elected not to go into full time RE for personal reasons at that time. Still do my CE credits every year.
I would be looking for the most convenient way to take the course as opposed to chasing the "best" school. It is as much about you applying yourself as it is who or what company is teaching the course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary