Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 06:44 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times

Advertisements

So the our tub on the 2nd floor has a slow leak. I can hear it dripping on the 1st floor ceiling when the tub is full. Can't locate any cracks in the tub so I am assuming the leak is coming from the drain pipe or the overflow drain. I imagine a portion of the 1st floor ceiling will need to be removed to access/fix the problem.

My questions is:

1. I'm assuming I need a plumber to fix the issue. Any recommendations (I am in North Raleigh)

2. Since this work likely involves removing a portion of drywall ceiling (popcorn ceiling) should I also be looking into getting somebody else besides a plumber to repair the ceiling - since I don't expect a plumber to be an expert at that repair? I think I can do it myself, but not sure how to fix the popcorn texture so it blends in well. Hopefully it isn't a big job.

I welcome your thoughts or experiences dealing with an issue like this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 06:51 AM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
So the our tub on the 2nd floor has a slow leak. I can hear it dripping on the 1st floor ceiling when the tub is full. Can't locate any cracks in the tub so I am assuming the leak is coming from the drain pipe or the overflow drain. I imagine a portion of the 1st floor ceiling will need to be removed to access/fix the problem.

My questions is:

1. I'm assuming I need a plumber to fix the issue. Any recommendations (I am in North Raleigh)

2. Since this work likely involves removing a portion of drywall ceiling (popcorn ceiling) should I also be looking into getting somebody else besides a plumber to repair the ceiling - since I don't expect a plumber to be an expert at that repair? I think I can do it myself, but not sure how to fix the popcorn texture so it blends in well. Hopefully it isn't a big job.

I welcome your thoughts or experiences dealing with an issue like this. Thanks!
If it is in the drain, trap, or overflow, it should be able to be accessed through the wall at the end of the tub.
Any plumber should be able to do that.

If your popcorn ceiling isn't stained or popcorn is not coming loose, I would avoid tearing into the ceiling before going through the wall.
It is nearly impossible to get a good looking repair on popcorn.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:31 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,936,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If it is in the drain, trap, or overflow, it should be able to be accessed through the wall at the end of the tub.
Any plumber should be able to do that.

If your popcorn ceiling isn't stained or popcorn is not coming loose, I would avoid tearing into the ceiling before going through the wall.
It is nearly impossible to get a good looking repair on popcorn.
Great advice. Don't go into the popcorn ceiling unless absolutely necessary. I had a friend with a similar situation open up a popcorn ceiling in the kitchen to gain access. He never could get the patch right himself and hired a pro to redo the entire kitchen plus more. The repair could have been made through an upstairs closet Let a plumber make the call.

I had to go into a closet wall before to make a tub repair. After the plumber finished I made an access door in the wall for next time.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:38 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
If you end up having to go through the popcorn ceiling, why not take this opportunity to get rid of the outdated, PITA popcorn?

Old 08-06-2018, 10:08 AM

569 posts, read 440,747 times
I had same issue and it was the overflow. You can easily replace the gasket yourself and see if that fixes the leak. You don't need to get behind the tub, you can do it from inside the tub.

As for the ceiling, ours is discolored in a spot where the leak occurred but we are on hold with that because we want to scrape and smooth popcorn ceilings at some point.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:40 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will check the overflow tonight. I'm hopeful it is something I can fix. This is one of those shower stall units that is one big piece of continuous plastic, so no tiles or wall to go through. The ceiling on the first floor has a tiny spot of discoloration (about the size of a quarter) so I'd rather not open up the ceiling unless absolutely necessary. I guess there could be concern about mold, but not sure how serious that would be given the small leak.

FWIW, I am one of those people who could care less whether my ceiling is smooth or has popcorn ceiling. And in my neighborhood ALL of the homes have popcorn ceilings and putting in the time/money to remove it all would not be worth it to me and at the price point I am in would likely not pay off at resale time. But thanks for the input!

Old 08-06-2018, 12:02 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,936,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will check the overflow tonight. I'm hopeful it is something I can fix.
You Tube is my new best friendHope you can solve it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: