Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 05:02 AM

269 posts, read 321,790 times

Advertisements

Went to Mo-Te on Labor Day after finding both Saigon and Far East closed. Hadn't been there for a while, but was pleasantly surprised. Maybe it is under new ownership? This time I found their pho to be some of the best in the area. It is back on my go-to list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 07:25 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Kinda looking forward to getting back soon for some good Raleigh grub...sure wanting some Char-Grill Hillsborough St. or Neomonde on Beryl Rd.
We will try Char-Grill eventually,but these days my wife is looking for gluten free buns, and I want a salad or veggies instead of fries - we will wait for a "cheat day" to visit. We love Middle Eastern food and had already tried Zoe's, Sitti, Jazmin & Olive, and Levant Bistro. Last week our church did a small catered casual dinner, at which Neomonde provided the food. It was very very good - they are no on our list!

Yesterday: we saw Crazy Rich Asians - on our first visit to Alamo Drafthouse. Loved the facility and the discrete ordering system for in-theater food. Wife had a burger with seasoned fried and the $2 upcharge for gluten free bun. I had the Colorado Steak salad with the $1 upcharge to have it served in a wrap (it came with tortilla chips and a laughably small cup of pretty good salsa. Large Diet Coke (or Pepsi?) with unlimited refills was $4.50. Overall, the food bill with tax for those items was around $39 with tax - before tip. A tad pricier than we would pay at an outside restaurant, but not outrageous by movie theater standards - and overall... the food was good.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Coffee View Post
Went to Mo-Te on Labor Day after finding both Saigon and Far East closed. Hadn't been there for a while, but was pleasantly surprised. Maybe it is under new ownership? This time I found their pho to be some of the best in the area. It is back on my go-to list!
Better pho than Pho Saigon? Thus far we have liked the pho there better than anywhere else. Pho 919 probably ranked second and Pho Far East third...

Old 09-06-2018, 08:38 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,213 times
My son and I were going to try Ethiopian food on Monday but the place was closed when we got there so we stumbled upon this place: Welcome to Himalayan Nepali Cuisine | Himalayan Nepali Cuisine
It was DELICIOUS!!!! I hadn't eaten Nepal cuisine before but everything was prepared fresh and extremely tasty and great value! I totally recommend!!

Old 09-06-2018, 09:13 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
Wife had a burger with seasoned fried and the $2 upcharge for gluten free bun.
Do you know if they have a dedicated fryer for fries (or for all gluten free items)? Also curious if that area has changed a lot. I remember going to that area a couple years ago and it wasn't the most desirable place to be.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Do you know if they have a dedicated fryer for fries (or for all gluten free items)? Also curious if that area has changed a lot. I remember going to that area a couple years ago and it wasn't the most desirable place to be.
That area is starting to change, and Alamo Drafthouse is likely the development that has pushed the area just past the "cusp." My wife and I are originally from a smaller city (Syracuse NY) with far more visible pockets of poverty than Raleigh (more akin to parts of Durham.) We feel comfortable enough in nearly any environment, and certainly felt safe in that neighborhood. It appeared to be mostly commercial development in the area. The parking area was recently paved, landscaping nice, lighting very good, and the Drafthouse is a very well designed and crafted facility. It gets an A+ from us.

My wife is gluten sensitive - not allergic or celiac. I suggest calling them directly to get confirmation of whether they have a dedicated fryer that never touches what products.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:29 PM

269 posts, read 321,790 times
Quote:
Better pho than Pho Saigon? Thus far we have liked the pho there better than anywhere else. Pho 919 probably ranked second and Pho Far East third...
I've enjoyed the food at Saigon before but haven't tried their pho yet. That was actually Plan A, but they were closed for the holiday.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:52 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
That area is starting to change, and Alamo Drafthouse is likely the development that has pushed the area just past the "cusp." My wife and I are originally from a smaller city (Syracuse NY) with far more visible pockets of poverty than Raleigh (more akin to parts of Durham.) We feel comfortable enough in nearly any environment, and certainly felt safe in that neighborhood. It appeared to be mostly commercial development in the area. The parking area was recently paved, landscaping nice, lighting very good, and the Drafthouse is a very well designed and crafted facility. It gets an A+ from us.

My wife is gluten sensitive - not allergic or celiac. I suggest calling them directly to get confirmation of whether they have a dedicated fryer that never touches what products.
That's a pretty herpy-derpy comment....

Anyways....

Had Alpaca Peruvian Chicken catered at a luncheon today and it was great! First time I've ever tried it. I really liked the seasoning on their chicken and it was nice and tender.

WARNING...their green sauce that looks like it might be something with avacaodo....is actually incredibly spicy and will make your salad inedible!

Old 09-06-2018, 06:03 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Sitting at Metro Diner on Falls of Neuse right now. I love this place, it's my favorite breakfast joint in Raleigh (much better than Big Ed's). I like sitting at the counter watching the cooks
that is good and fast!

Old 09-06-2018, 06:11 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
That's a pretty herpy-derpy comment....

Anyways....

Had Alpaca Peruvian Chicken catered at a luncheon today and it was great! First time I've ever tried it. I really liked the seasoning on their chicken and it was nice and tender.

WARNING...their green sauce that looks like it might be something with avacaodo....is actually incredibly spicy and will make your salad inedible!
We eat Alpaca once a week. Gluten free and delicious! Love the green sauce but it is WOW.

Happy and Hale today. Quinoa bowl is a favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary