Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 07:07 PM

6,420 posts, read 5,557,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Who really cares about crime rates and stuff like that.
The whole "Durham is scary and crime-ridden" mantra was soooooo 90s.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 09-07-2018 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 07:28 PM

346 posts, read 340,816 times
Quote:
Lists are the best.
lol .... they give me happy feelings

Old 09-07-2018, 07:30 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,323,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The whole "Durham is scary and crime-ridden" matnra was soooooo 90s.
As with anywhere it depends on where you are, but stats don't lie. I don't know what it was like in the 90's but I guess it has improved.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:30 PM

346 posts, read 340,816 times
Quote:
The whole "Durham is scary and crime-ridden" matnra was soooooo 90s.
Crime rates are a euphemism for certain things

Old 09-07-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post

Old 09-07-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
Maybe.

I will say that the Target my parents go to in Apex has had 3 shooting/armed robbery incidents in the past few years (two this year!) while the Target I go to in Durham has had 0.

Target doesn't lie!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe.

I will say that the Target my parents go to in Apex has had 3 shooting/armed robbery incidents in the past few years (two this year!) while the Target I go to in Durham has had 0.

Target doesn't lie!
This is true.

But lets be realistic - crime rates in Durham versus a Cary or Apex are night and day. I'm not saying that to gang up on Durham, it's just stats. Durham definitely has and is changing.

When I think of the "best places to buy a house", I would think crime would have a little impact on that decision.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
This is true.

But lets be realistic - crime rates in Durham versus a Cary or Apex are night and day. I'm not saying that to gang up on Durham, it's just stats. Durham definitely has and is changing.

When I think of the "best places to buy a house", I would think crime would have a little impact on that decision.
Well.....like you said...stats don't lie (well....even that's debatable but I digress)

The Real Estate market in Durham is very active and very competitive. Buyers pounce on houses in increasingly desirable areas in South and West Durham at the same rate or faster than in Western Wake County.

Downtown Durham avg price per square foot is $300. Among the highest in the state.

For the past 6 months average DOM for listings in local communities mentioned here so far are as follows:

Apex: 11

Durham: 14

Cary: 15

Raleigh: 17

Impressive stats for all of them and shows show strong and dynamic the Triangle area is as a whole. The suggestion that Durham isn't as "in-demand" as Raleigh/Cary/Apex, however, is very inaccurate.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:56 AM

43,510 posts, read 77,518,538 times
Quote:
Psshh...

Price for the consumer is independent of split with cooperating firm!

Cheapskate!
Ooooo.... Commission talk! What a fun way to start the day!

I was actually serious. You stepped in something you should very proactively avoid, along with a thought pattern you should avoid and delete from internalization.
Proper training is in order, as your post implies you are under the influence of Old Dog mentality rooted decades in the past.

Implying any specific commission split or rate as desired, expected, standard, etc, is verging into implications of connotations of price fixing, and possibly restraint of trade.
You need to consider very carefully the validity and ethic behind input you are receiving from mentors and leadership.
Even moreso if you are going to publicly criticize other firms' operations, and particularly judge them for commission rates that don't meet your standard.
It is a shame that many firms and brokers with experience dating prior to DOJ persecution still teach old dog price-fixing connotations as a legitimate business posture.

When the commission is lower than you specify as "Expected," of course, you have a buyers' agency agreement wherein the buyer agrees to make up any shortfall; where you clearly explained that option, right?

But, let's play the math game anyway. JFF.
Currently 32% of resales in Durham County and 33% in City of Durham split 2.4% to a Buyers Agent.
139/433 and 103/403, respectively.
There is actually one at 1% this morning.

1. So, I list a home in Durham at 4.6% total fee and the Buyer's Agent receives 2.4% commission.
2. An agent lists an identical house in Durham at 6% commission, and the splits are 50/50, 3% each agent.
3. An agent lists an identical house in Raleigh at 6% commission, and the splits are 60/40, 3.6% to listing side, 2.4% to buyers side.

Discussion and rhetorical questions:

Would you or anyone you know decline to show the Durham listing with a 2.4% co-broke, because of the co-broke amount?
Would you, or anyone you know, label the 4.6% fee as "Discount?"
Would you, or anyone you know, label the 4.6% fee as "Discount," and/or bleat out one of the classic disingenuous banalities like:
  • "You won't get full service from a discounter."
  • "If he gives away his money that easily, think how easily he will give away your money."
  • "You get what you pay for!"
  • "You know, I don't get all that money. It is split four ways, and this is an expensive business!"
  • "I have to pay for gas!" LOL
Would you or anyone you know say,
"But, you are leaving money on the table?" (Uhhh.... That is the consumers' money, FWIW. It doesn't fall out of the sky, but off the table of clients we claim to serve as fiduciaries.)

Am I cheap for finding an agreeable listing commission rate that is less than offered to a buyers agent?
(BTW, I would never advertise a rate that does not include the co-broke commission. That is misleading, which, akin to the above list of banalities, would be more saddening than "Cheapskate.")

Am I cheap for accepting a fee that provides me with a workable profit margin, while leaving 1.4% of purchase price in my trusting clients' pockets?
Am I cheap for being happy with a 2.4% BA split even though a listing agent in a rampant sellers market takes 3.6%?

Of course, I keep non-value-adding corporate fat out of my model, so I can be as profitable as a great many people who perhaps inflate expenses and bloviate about commissions.
I.e., on a $350,000 sale, that is $4900 to the people who trusted me as a fiduciary. On a $700,000 sale, $9800. Those numbers are real money to people who have it.
Tangentially, am I cheap for charging less than 6%, or for accepting less than a 50/50 split on that Raleigh listing?

What fun!
More Coffee!

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 09-08-2018 at 04:53 AM..

Old 09-08-2018, 05:01 AM

43,510 posts, read 77,518,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Here is what she said "Cary ranked @ 14 and Raleigh ranked @ 53. Some of the key factors are affordability".
Wouldn't that be contradictory? ... Or maybe I'm just not well informed. Cary is way more expensive than Raleigh.

Cary is more expensive than Raleigh?
Raleigh is more expensive than Cary?
"The devil is in the details."

Rather than raw prices, "Affordability" is keyed on the median income being able to purchase a median priced house.
Median household income in Raleigh, 2016, was $58,641.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...lina/PST045217

Median household income in Cary, 2016, was $94,617.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...lina/SEX255217

I.e., the median Cary Household can afford higher priced homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary