Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 04:37 AM

22,685 posts, read 36,850,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
Come to Carpenter Village. It’s like Our Gang here...in a good way. My son took his play bow and arrow set and blaster to a nearby friend’s house today. After awhile he came home huffing and puffing, asking to borrow the dolly so they could lug large pieces of wood that had washed ashore in the lake up to the friend’s house. I have no idea what they plan to do with it. Ha. The kids in this neighborhood love to play in the gullys and woods with rocks and sticks, carving steps into the hillside leading to their “fort.” Free range parenting is alive and well in CV :-)
A perfect example of a neighborhood where the houses are close together with tiny yards and pocket parks to encourage this kind of thing. That was the concept for CV and it's working. CV is my daughter's "go-to" Halloween destination now as one of her best friends lives there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 05:14 AM

256 posts, read 266,725 times
nice! but exactly how tiny are the yards? i couldn't handle anything smaller than what I have - my lot is like .19

yeah, we dont stay in our neighborhood on Halloween. We are lucky enough to have friends who live a few doors down from the Amityville horror house, LOL. Super cool place to trick or treat!!

Old 10-03-2018, 09:32 AM

My husband's cousin lives on that block!

CV does have some bigger properties as well I think.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:37 AM

58 posts, read 135,723 times
everyone thnks their kid can be a pro sports player or Olympian.. where is the freedom to create and explore?. let them play organized sports, and you yell at the referree....then they go home and play x box or ps...sad future for many.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:59 AM

127 posts, read 216,344 times
It's so funny for me to read this....we went through exactly the same thing when we were looking to move here 6 years ago. Our friends that lived here would jokingly say "cue the kids" when we pulled into a neighborhood because I also took note that no one was around. We ultimately chose a great neighborhood that DID have people outside when we drove through. Your timing is everything. There was a make-up day for year round kids that Saturday and as others mentioned sports, last bit of pool time, etc. However, that being said, I would drive through a neighborhood more around dinnertime and a little after. I porch sit at that time and my street is like a parade with kids playing, adults walking, etc. You will probably get a better feel at that time - at least in my neighborhood. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2018, 10:48 AM

498 posts, read 854,964 times
Carpenter Village has all sizes of properties including smaller townhomes, larger townhomes, Charleston homes, neighborhood homes, and estate homes. The Charleston lots are about .11 or so up to maybe a little less than half an acre for the large lots? I’m guessing there are many in the quarter to third of an acre range.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:54 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,948,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
NYC does not have 7 months of winter.
I apologize for using general terms.

The boilers for most apartment buildings are turned on Nov. 1st in NYC.

I have experienced at least 3 snowfalls from 3"-9" in the first week of May in NYC.

Perhaps the anticipation of what's ahead precluded me from enjoying the last warm days of October and November.

The worst aspect of Northeast weather is how it's reluctant to let go of cold temps. in the Spring (after people have endured months of cold), often being the last region in the lower 48 to succumb to warm weather.

Every Memorial Day Weekend I spent on Fire Island it dipped into the 40's overnight.

The rainy April and Spring in general is another big drawback. NYC get more rain than any other city except Miami. It is right in the zone that stretches in a line through the Midwest where colder Canadian air and warmer Southern US air meet, squeezing out a lot of precipitation quite consistently.

If I had to choose only one "current conditions" for NYC that seems to occur more than any other....

It would be "47 degrees & Rain."

Recently though, the Winters in New York seem to be getting substantially milder.

In 2002 or 2003 I remember the radiator clanking incessantly for 6 weeks during which it didn't get above freezing.

So in general I stand behind my statement of 7 months of colder, non-ideal outdoor weather.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:20 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,808,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I apologize for using general terms.

The boilers for most apartment buildings are turned on Nov. 1st in NYC.

I have experienced at least 3 snowfalls from 3"-9" in the first week of May in NYC.
When exactly did you live in NYC? It hasn't snowed in May in NYC in all the time they've been keeping records since 1868. I think you are misremembering what months it snows there. Either that or you lived in Buffalo. December through March are the big months for snow in NYC. Even any measurable April snows are pretty infrequent. Since 1980, they've only had 3 April snows over an inch (a 5.5 inch snowfall last winter, a 4 inch April snowfall in 2002/2003, and 9 inches in the 1981/1982 season).

Winter is at most 5 months in NYC - mid-November to mid April is about as far as you can stretch it and call it winter.

https://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Cl...alsnowfall.pdf

Old 10-03-2018, 08:38 PM

Measurable snow in NYC may not be the best way to judge winter....winter of 1995-96 was horrendous and I distinctly remember a pretty big snow in April of 1996, but I just checked and apparently NYC had no measurable snow from that storm.

At any rate, I grew up on Long Island and don't remember it ever snowing in May. It can be nasty and chilly, and I remember one year having to keep the heat on into the first week of June....but it's not Canada, or even upstate NY.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:57 AM

43,356 posts, read 77,229,425 times
Define "winter."
My thin blood says, "Winter is from earliest frost date to last frost date."

There's "New York," and then there's "New York."

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/fr.../zipcode/12209
7 months in Albany.

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/fr.../zipcode/10453
Less than 5 months at LaGuardia…

And, a longer winter at RDU, then at LaGuardia...
https://www.almanac.com/gardening/fr.../zipcode/27617
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary