Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:27 AM

430 posts, read 626,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaiju View Post
Does the Cary area get all 4 seasons? Do a lot of the leaves change in the Fall? Can I expect the weather to get cool during the Fall there? Or will it be hot on Halloween, as it is here in FL? How is the weather in December?
This is my favorite site these days for describing the climate of an area...

Weather Spark for Cary, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 11:49 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,168,309 times
Weather.com also has all the historical weather data you could want. More accurate than an internet stranger telling you it's "cool." Too subjective.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:43 PM

242 posts, read 150,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
This is my favorite site these days for describing the climate of an area...

Weather Spark for Cary, NC

That graph basically backs up what I have been saying for years. That winter around here is a Tuesday in January.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:29 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,468,122 times
I moved from FL, to TX and eventually up here to MN where I'll stay til I die. NC is further north and cooler than TX, and even TX had a change of seasons. Y'all need to realise that coming from Florida, even Valdosta, Georgia feels like New England in comparison.

I wonder if OP made the move, and hope it worked out. There really is nothing like having all 4 seasons, even if maybe some of those seasons are colder or warmer than ideal... at the end, if you have changing leaf colours in the fall, some snow/frost in winter and flowers returning in spring... you have seasons. Doesn't matter if its a bit warmer or cooler than the cartoonish narrative that we have concocted. Down south you trade a "late fall" for an "early spring" and up north its the opposite. I like fall better anyway so doesn't bother me, but NC would be my #1. choice if I had to move back south.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:44 AM

18,109 posts, read 15,683,109 times
November is when the leaves really change and are gorgeous in Cary. Earlier up in the mountains (earlier = mid to late October). The maples around Raleigh/Cary certainly do change and are as pretty as anywhere I've seen. I grew up in PA as a comparison. We just have fewer of those kinds of trees and you have to go closer to the mountains to see the beautiful swaths of hillsides with color that you'd see if you were in the northeast US.

But make no mistake. If you like fall colors, you *will* get them in Cary/Raleigh in November. And you'll see those colors in even the most commercial of spots.

These 2 pictures were taken on Nov 23, 2018 in Cary. In a shopping center of all places.

Last edited by lottamoxie; 04-05-2019 at 10:53 AM..

Old 04-06-2019, 08:56 PM

781 posts, read 744,471 times
I am going to say the Raleigh and Orlando traffic is about similar, with FL being a hair worse.

I think you will find the drivers to be much more polite and your car insurance will likely drop in price by 1/2-2/3. FL does very little about uninsured motorists, hence the high rates.

I was very pleased to leave FL and come to Raleigh. Zero regrets since I hated it!

Old 04-06-2019, 10:23 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,875,219 times
since everybody pretty much answered your questions, I'm just going to add in that NC weather in general can be weird. Example of what I mean is that in one day it dropped to 9 degrees and in that same week maybe 4 days later it was 70 degrees +. 2 days later I think it got up to 80 and later on the next week we had light snow. Sometimes it will feel like you are experiencing all 4 seasons in the same week lol.
Also like others have already stated, Cary is right next to Raleigh so there is literally no reason to limit yourself to just Cary. Hell Cary, Apex, and Morrisville are all so intertwined that you will find yourself in one and not even know it.

In regards to traffic, Cary location is very good on minimizing that issue. Not that it's not a issue but since Cary's location is so convenient to other parts of the triangle, you can take in town roads to most places vs getting on 40(for the most part) and sitting in traffic. I work near Downtown Raleigh and usually only takes me around 15 minutes and that's with traffic.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:32 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,875,219 times
Dang just realized the OP posted this back in October
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary