Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:01 AM

269 posts, read 944,673 times

Advertisements

Okay, hopefully this thread doesn't get me labled as a troublemaker, but here goes...

My family and I have made several trips to the Raleigh area, and are currently in the house buying process. In our experience we have come across those that are welcoming us to the area with open arms and those who turn up their noses and complain about transplants hurting the economy and as a result, their lifestyle.

For the most part when asking, those who welcome with open arms are the true Tarheels... born and raised in the area or originally from the area and now back. Those who answer from the unwelcoming side seem to be, for the most part, transplants from a few years ago who seem to think that anyone coming to the area now is just raining on their parade - causing taxes to go up, overcrowding in schools, cookie cutter developments, traffic, etc.

Why so bitter? Didn't you transplant for the same reasons so many others on this thread are doing? Why can't people understand that? Why shouldn't someone else benefit from the same things you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,624 times
I moved here 5 years ago and haven't found a single "welcoming" person. I am not rich and live in an apartment where I am a minority in the complex. I think the other transplants are just not as welcoming because they haven't been welcomed warmly as you. JMO and my experience.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:08 AM

144 posts, read 496,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephz1008 View Post
Okay, hopefully this thread doesn't get me labled as a troublemaker, but here goes...

My family and I have made several trips to the Raleigh area, and are currently in the house buying process. In our experience we have come across those that are welcoming us to the area with open arms and those who turn up their noses and complain about transplants hurting the economy and as a result, their lifestyle.

For the most part when asking, those who welcome with open arms are the true Tarheels... born and raised in the area or originally from the area and now back. Those who answer from the unwelcoming side seem to be, for the most part, transplants from a few years ago who seem to think that anyone coming to the area now is just raining on their parade - causing taxes to go up, overcrowding in schools, cookie cutter developments, traffic, etc.

Why so bitter? Didn't you transplant for the same reasons so many others on this thread are doing? Why can't people understand that? Why shouldn't someone else benefit from the same things you have?
You nailed it!. That is exactly the same way I feel. Not only in Raleigh area but the same I felt when I moved to boston years and years ago. I think the "natives" (no offense) are used to people moving in and welcome the newer people as it diversifies them (in many ways). The transplants are afraid that we are completing against them. In a sense they thought they found something, only they were smart enough to find, and no one else can. It is a factor of differentiation.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,061,415 times
Wow, Steph, that's really fascinating.

It sounds like your experience is much different than mine. In the 2 years I've lived here, no one has ever told me that I am unwelcome or that I should go back to where I came from. I have made friends with a couple locals and they've mentioned their dissatisfaction in some of the changes they've seen in the area, but they have never ever said anything in any way that implied that I am unwelcome and should go back "home".

Old 03-27-2008, 09:16 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post

It sounds like your experience is much different than mine. In the 2 years I've lived here, no one has ever told me that I am unwelcome or that I should go back to where I came from. I have made friends with a couple locals and they've mentioned their dissatisfaction in some of the changes they've seen in the area, but they have never ever said anything in any way that implied that I am unwelcome and should go back "home".

I've had the same experience as MrsSteel. However, if you've experienced the opposite, it sounds like the same mentality that people have when they think that their family members should have been the last people allowed to immigrate to America and now the doors should be shut.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post

That is exactly what I am saying, the "locals" while they may voice their concerns, are nothing but "truly southern" in their gracious and welcoming attitudes. Yet I have met in person and on this board, several transplants who seem to think the more of us "northerners" or "transplants" that come down, the worse the area gets.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,665,529 times
I have to agree with MrsSteel. I moved here in 1991 and never had anyone make comments like you stated. I find the people are very respectful, helpful and interested in what you have to say. I have noticed that the natives don't like the attitude from relocaters that say things such as.. where I came from we did it this way... Just remember this: When in Rome do like the Romans. I also think it takes a couple years to feel more connected to the area as well. Just an opinion.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 AM

153 posts, read 460,177 times
I have to agree with MrsSteel, I have never felt any animosity from anyone here...newcomer or native. I work with many native NC folks and they are as nice as can be...they do tease, but thats it. And our neighborhood is full of transplants, which have been so welcoming...like they know what its like to be in our shoes. I always pass on the favor to the new transplants after me. I think it might have alot to do with where you live and/or work...some places are just more clique-y than others.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 AM

It just seems to me, in my experience that the true locals are more of the "grin and bear it" variety when it comes to newcomers, whereas the transplants are more of the as one person mentioned the type that feel
Quote:
that their family members should have been the last people allowed to immigrate to America and now the doors should be shut.
I have experienced this both in person and moreso on this board.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:26 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,658,797 times
The natives and transplants have been welcoming to me. The teachers and director at my daughter's preschool are natives. They are friendly and nuturing with the children. The director's own children attended the preschool. I love the community feel and we are blending right in. I've met many Northeners that are just as friendly. I figured the natives rubbed off on them. LOL! I've many people from NY and NJ that are stereotyped as rude, loud and a hurry. I think NC calmed them right down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary