Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:12 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle View Post

I am definitely going to check out Weatherstone! I like that alot! That was another question I had, but forgot about. Since there is no bus service, I would imagine alot of the kids going to St Michaels would live nearby.

Thanks!!
Not really....the parishes down here are pretty spread apart. There is one Catholic school in all of Cary. There's one in Apex. So while most people do choose to live close if they know they are going to Catholic school, not every one does, I'm sure. But - yeah - looking at Amberly and Cary Park and Lochmere when you know you want to go to St. Michael's does not - to me - make any sense. And you're that much farther from Gibbons living all the way over in West Cary. And Gibbons - believe it or not - does not close nearly as often for weather as the public schools do here. They're like "we're open - drive safe!" We were not set on Gibbons before we moved here but if I knew for a fact my kids were going to St. Mike's/Gibbons I would not move west of Cary Parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 12:35 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle View Post
OMG, it must be my "lyme brain" forgetting about that woman realtor! Now I owe you an apology! yes, on our first trip out, we did have a woman take us on a little tour, and I completely forgot about her! I did not like her at all, I guess that's why she slipped my memory. She only showed us two homes and she was not informative at the least. Wow, sorry! LOL

I am actually appalled that you some how gathered this info! Don't get me wrong, I am totally open to your input and anyone else's. Plenty of people were convincing me to move 3 years ago and not wait. We have to wait. one example, it took 9 months for my husband to finally get his law license in NC. We cant move down there without jobs, so this was an important step as well. And another reason, life is insane here in NY. No time for anything. We will go months before we talk about our move to NC bc we are just too darn busy!
I really have no idea how you would be appalled that someone providing insight on your research would have done some themselves. I just looked back quickly at the topics you've started at various times in advance of your visits. Maybe it's just a non-Southern word choice

Another piece of unsolicited advice, to steal from Ferris Bueller - life moves pretty fast around here, and changes all the time. I don't recall anything about Lochmere shutting down the pool for lack of participation (and I wouldn't dare attempt to find it in the forum). And try not to think too much about a house today that you're not buying for at least 12 months. In the past 6 months there have been 7 houses in Lochmere alone that might work for you; 5 of them sold within 1 month. Here today, gone tomorrow. To your Realtor: "See this house at _________. That's exactly what I'm talking about wanting. It's got a, b, c that I love. I don't really like x,y,z but I can compromise"

Old 11-17-2018, 12:46 PM

256 posts, read 266,523 times
LOL like the bueller quote, remember that well from the movie!!

I know. by looking at houses we are getting the lay of the land, that's all.
Was glad to see that inlaw suites do exist in some houses.

twingles - the schools are roughly 15 minutes from lochmere. I dont know, but that seems like nothing to me, unless rush hour traffic doubles the time, which I highly doubt? I guess picking Cary made it easy for us to just say, ok, any subdivision will do. I surely wouldnt move to wake forest and send the kids to cardinal gibbons. We actually loved wake forest the best but scratched it off our list for that reason.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:58 PM

Lochmere to Gibbons in 15 minutes? Maybe in the best case scenario and certainly not at rush hour. Lochmere is in the oldest most long-built up area of Cary, it's always reminded me of the worst of Nassau County. Rush hour is as frustrating and annoying as what you're used to, biggest difference from the NYC area is that it doesn't last as long. If you think you can make it to St. Mike's AND Gibbons in 15 minutes from any place in Cary, have at it.

Good luck with your continued search.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:05 PM

the worst of nassau? whoa!! I gotta see this place, online it looks beautiful, but sounds aweful the way you are describing it, LOL. I would tend to believe you over what i have seen though!!

I was just google mapping the directions and thats where I got the timing from.

twingles, You have been very helpful to me, I hope you don't stop giving me advice. I've appreciated everything you have said thus far. My responses have been brief bc I am trying to get errands done and writing at the same time.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:33 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Lochmere is my favorite subdivision in Cary. I'd be living there if schools weren't a factor. Here's a great video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ktB2dYl-U

That being said, Lochmere is nothing like the other subdivisions you're looking at.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:39 PM

i know, thats why lochmere seems so unique. i have never been to any of them. just looking at what we see online. i know alot about carpenters village and lochmere, but not much about amberly and cary park. We will see them all with our own eyes soon enough! thanks for the link, we actually viewed it last night, my husband found it on youtube. looks like a lovely place.

everyone seems to have opposing views of lochmere, when some of you said you don't like "the feel" at lochmere - are you guys referring to the vibe of the people or the landscape?

Old 11-17-2018, 01:45 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
To me something like Lochmere and something like Amberly or Cary Park are mutually exclusive. If you like Lochmere, you won't like the other two. And vice versa.

Two completely different sides of town, and two completely different vibes. Amberly and Cary Park are in a part of town that is in rapid development, while Lochmere's part of town has already been pretty much fully developed. I personally don't like anything west of 540, but that's because everything's very new and there's no trees in any of the subdivisions. That will all change over the years, but I think it will always have a different vibe. They build very dense developments out there, and there are a lot of people in that area that are very "competitive" when it comes to their children and schooling.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:47 PM

wow, interesting. yes, i drove thru some developments that had zero trees. it was aweful. the houses were brand new, and I dont like that either, they lacked character and shade!

Old 11-17-2018, 02:40 PM

We decided against new construction for several reasons when we moved here but the two biggest were lot size and no trees. I came to visit while my parents were building in Carolina Preserve (part of Amberly, but 55+) and it was October and I felt like I was standing on the sun. I'm used to it now but back then I was like OMG I am not moving anywhere without trees!

It was me that said I didn't like the side of town that Lochmere is on....it's not the people or anything like that, I just think that whole area reminds me of Nassau County in ways I don't like. We didn't look over there when we were moving because my parents are in Western Cary and my sister is in Apex so it made no sense to do so...but I would not send my kids to the schools over there, not just because of their ranking but because I think it's insane how far those people have to go to get to Athens Drive HS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary