Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:52 AM

4 posts, read 9,433 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a french student and I will be studying physics and chemistry for the fall semester. I live next to paris, and I try to find a place to live from August to december 2008, in Raleigh. I will be studying at the NCSU. Could you please help me to find a place? I'm looking for a furnished apartment, the rent has to be between $600 and $900...
Is there any apartment in downtown?

Thank you

Last edited by Toad_182; 04-06-2008 at 04:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 02:28 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
You may have a hard time finding a cheap, furnished, short term lease. You want to search for someone who already has a place that is looking for a roommate. Try the Raleigh Craigslist.

One thing to think about is transportation and parking. NCSU has a great bus service called Wolfline (http://www2.acs.ncsu.edu/trans/trans...07RouteMap.pdf).
I recommend either having an apartment on it or at least using the park and ride (NCSU Transportation - Park and Ride Lots).

Alternatives to that are living close enough to walk (Cameron Village area, for instance) or living on campus in a dorm.

IMO you are better of living nearer the school that right downtown. The school is only a couple of miles from downtown, so getting down there for nightlife is not difficult.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Last time I looked (about two months ago), downtown rents started around $1K/mo, and I don't think those were furnished. Rent in Raleigh is too high IMO, across the board...but if you can find a way to pay a little more it can be done.

Getting around without a car in Raleigh isn't easy unless you are living downtown, and even then you're kind of limited to a pretty close-in area, or living on or near your school campus. There is little in the way of public transit.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:26 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
You may have a hard time finding a cheap, furnished, short term lease. You want to search for someone who already has a place that is looking for a roommate. Try the Raleigh Craigslist.

One thing to think about is transportation and parking. NCSU has a great bus service called Wolfline (http://www2.acs.ncsu.edu/trans/trans...07RouteMap.pdf).
I recommend either having an apartment on it or at least using the park and ride (NCSU Transportation - Park and Ride Lots).

Alternatives to that are living close enough to walk (Cameron Village area, for instance) or living on campus in a dorm.

IMO you are better of living nearer the school that right downtown. The school is only a couple of miles from downtown, so getting down there for nightlife is not difficult.
This is some really good advice. Remember, one can also advertise on craigslist for the situation they seek. So, I'd suggest going to craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums and get familiar with the format. The best part is that it's a free website. I think it should be easy to find a roommate situation in the price range you seek. I think you are best to look for a sublease or a roommate situation since furnished apartments will be more difficult to find.

When looking, I'd suggest you look to the North of campus rather than to the South. While nothing in Raleigh is going to give you the urban environment of Paris, the North side of campus is going to be a better environment for walking and riding a bicycle. There are many budget friendly apartments between NC State Univ. and downtown with the majority being across the street from St. Mary's School. One of them is Cameron Court: a large complex of older apartments that is totally walkable to NC State for those who don't mind a 10-15 minute walk. This location will also put you in a position to walk to Cameron Village for shopping and the Glenwood South area for evening entertainment options.

As far as distances go, the Eastern edge of the campus is about 1 mile west of downtown proper. I just estimated this by looking at google maps.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:42 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
Also, don't rule out looking for a roommate. This is yet something else you can find advertised on craigslist. There may very well be someone with a furnished room they are trying to rent out, and often it is much less expensive to share the bills with someone else.

Also check classifieds at the Indepent (Independent Weekly) and News and Observer (newsobserver.com | Home).

Good luck, I'm sure you will find something.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 AM

thank you very much! I didn't thought I would have this much answer.
In fact we are two students and we wwant share an apartment.
We don't want take something on the NCSU campus, we want a place off the campus.
It really is difficult to find something on the internet, from paris...
I will continue my researchs, thank you all.
If you have any other advices, comments or anything let me know.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:56 AM

I think we can pay around 1k per month, what would be the best place according to you?

Old 04-07-2008, 12:02 PM

187 posts, read 803,470 times
I have friends that are French Canadian. They just move here from Montreal and purchased and renovated a house in Raleigh. They live within walking distance to NCSU. They have a newly renovated 1 bedroom apartment above a detached garage to their house. The apartment is next to other apartments rented by fellow NCSU students. If this sounds of interest to you. Give a personal response to me IM. Thanks

Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 AM

I found a furnished apartment in lake johnson mews,
it has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, its about $800 per month. Do you think
we can go to the NCSU by foot? Is there any bus service that deserve lake johnson mews?
Is it a great place?
Thank you

Old 04-08-2008, 11:50 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
You will not be able to walk to NCSU from Lake Johnson Mews, well I don't know, maybe you can but it take quite a while! I don't think the NCSU bus comes to the apartments but there are bus stops to the university within biking distance on Avent Ferry Road. You could walk to the bus stop, I guess it all depends on how much walking you are used to and it will be scorching hot walking up there in August!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary