Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 AM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times

Advertisements

Carolina weather (facebook) predicted this round of snow/sleet this morning.

It's clear that the internet forecasters for this storm like Carolina Weather (https://www.carolina-weather.com/) and Allan Huffman on Twitter were way better than WRAL or abc11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 08:12 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Carolina weather (facebook) predicted this round of snow/sleet this morning.

It's clear that the internet forecasters for this storm like Carolina Weather (https://www.carolina-weather.com/) and Allan Huffman on Twitter were way better than WRAL or abc11.
For the record, WRAL also had indicated on their maps that there would be another band of snow/sleet this morning (and they're also saying there could be another one overnight tonight into Tuesday morning)

Old 12-10-2018, 08:29 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
You don't live on a cul-de-sac, do you? I expect Cary might get to ours around Tuesday or Wednesday...that's about how long it usually takes them.

Our cul-de-sac rarely gets plowed. What little car traffic we get from neighbors driving out ends up packing the snow down to a nice icy mess every night.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:39 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
You don't live on a cul-de-sac, do you? I expect Cary might get to ours around Tuesday or Wednesday...that's about how long it usually takes them.

Up in NY the plows would come by our house every few hours during snow storms.

(No, I'm not complaining...I completely understand that it's simply not worth the investment in all of that snow equipment. Cary in particular does a great job all things considered. But no, I don't count on them to clear out my street, which is why we parked a car out on a more major road that we could walk to if needed.)
No I'm actually on the main road in my subdivision (although it does end in a cut de sac).

When we lived in NY I used to get awakened around 2 a.m. during any over night snows by the plow hitting a manhole cover outside my house. I'm a VERY heavy sleeper but this would have me out of bed like a shot as it sounded like a bomb went off. They also never knew how to push the snow off the road at corners. My ILs live between two streets (they are the only house on this little section of street) and the road in front of their house is always a mess when it snows because they snow dump from both sides.

I do have people in my 'hood who live on hilly streets who will park their cars up here on the main road when it snows to make it easier to get out.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:43 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
While our RTP office is open today the roads looked like they could turn with the now sleet and colder temps than forecast, so decided to stay home. Plowing in N. Raleigh seems not as good as Cary, and the TV coverage of the late morning highways look like it's just not worth it.

My concern is tomorrow morning's commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree. Used to hear the same warnings living in NY, and invariably some idiot will attempt to heat their home in such a way as to poison their family with CO2 or burn the place down.
There was something on the news last night about people in a household here dying from CO2.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:25 AM

20 posts, read 18,877 times
Thank you Tri-Love. I appreciate the info. And I'm committed to never saying "Well, in New York.....".

Old 12-10-2018, 10:00 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
At 10:45 AM EST, 1 NW RDU International [Wake Co, NC] OFFICIAL NWS OBS reports SNOW of 1.80 INCH. OFFICAL NWS

Old 12-10-2018, 11:02 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Still snowing pretty decently here in N. Raleigh. There have been periods where it let up, and then start right back to heavy snow again.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:11 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
I woke up to 4 inches of new snow this morning in Carrboro, completely covering anything that had been plowed the night before, and a crust of ice has fallen on top of it now, so it'll resist melting.

Pretty front-loaded winter we're getting this year!

Old 12-10-2018, 12:14 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I woke up to 4 inches of new snow this morning in Carrboro, completely covering anything that had been plowed the night before, and a crust of ice has fallen on top of it now, so it'll resist melting.

Pretty front-loaded winter we're getting this year!
And technically winter doesn't start for another 11 days!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary