Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 10:48 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,334 times

Advertisements

Why do so many college graduates, that grew up her in Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Cary and Durham want to move to the big city?

I am seeing this constantly. Their parents have to help them with the finances for a while but basically they are on their own and are living in mid-town Manhattan

I am from the CT/NY area. I never lived in NYC because of the expense. I lived in surrounding areas like Greenwich, Stamford and White Plain.

Now all these new grads are moving for great jobs and opportunities.

What is such the appeal. You can get so much more for you money living outside of Manhattan.

I live in Raleigh now and it seems like the last exit to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 11:27 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
If you grow up in the suburbs, you might want to live in city.

If you grow up in the city, you might want to live in the suburbs.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:57 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
This is definitely not limited to people who grew up in the Raleigh area.

But one reason is one you pointed out - the opportunities there, and the opportunity to make more money, then at some point you leave and take it with you.

Many years ago, when I was in college myself, I hung out with my friend's older sister's friends at one of their apartments in NYC. It was the prototypical 400 square foot 5th floor walkup apartment with a view of an airshaft. She grew up in a dinky town in upstate NY and her goal was always to live in NYC, no matter what. NYC is filled with people who will do anything to live there.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:24 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
My daughter grew up in Raleigh...lives in Buffalo now.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:28 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,062 times
When my kids grow up, I’ll probably encourage them to try and make it in San Francisco, LA, Chicago, NYC, DC, etc. Growning up in STL and staying in the Midwest after college (STL and Indianapolis), while seeing some classmates moved to Top 5 metros, I’ve seen the benefits it’s brought to them. I have a good job and do well for myself, but they’ve reaped a lot of advantages due to cost of living adjusted salaries and home appreciation.

I would say my first 5-7 yrs were probably a bit easier. I didn’t have to share an apartment or squeeze into a 400 sq ft studio, etc. They had to struggle and push through to make it early. What I will say now though, is my classmates who have lived in CA or NY for the last 15 yrs can go almost anywhere in the country. Their home values and salaries in CA or NY allow for that. Just my opinion, but if I had it to do all over again, I would’ve headed to CA after college. I had job offers, but didn’t want to “stray too far from the nest”.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:45 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Excitement, glamour, career opportunities, virtually unlimited number of things to do, access to other cities/world, chance to make it big, hobnob with those in power, amazing variety of food and culture, having the world right outside your door, and walkability. Why not?

(Of, and of course I forgot the most important reason - the best pizza and bagels. )

Old 12-10-2018, 06:47 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
This isn't a localized trend. It's a thing that happens a lot everywhere.

I grew up in Fayetteville and went to college in the Triangle. Stayed in the Triangle for the opportunities and because it's a scale above Fayetteville (insert "nam" joke here).

Old 12-10-2018, 07:02 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,830 times
*shrugs* I lived in Manhattan for a year after finishing grad school. While yes expensive it was a lot of fun. I certainly don't regret it. The average 20 something is more than willing to forgo having more space to be closer to the action. It's not like you spend that much time in your apartment... Besides I had a super short commute which to me was a great trade off.

It's not something I was going to do long term. But doing right after college is the perfect time - before making major decisions like getting married, buying property, or having kids.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:08 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
I am in a fairly extreme minority in having grown up, gone to college, and stayed afterward in the Triangle area. Most of my friends and peers who I went to high school and college with moved to bigger more expensive cities after graduating college. Denver, Seattle, LA, Boston, DC.....and yep...NYC. (granted several have moved back to have kids or plan to do so)

I for sure have times where I wish I hadn't stayed in the Triangle in my immediate post-college years. NYC is a lot of fun to visit and I've had friends move there and LOVE it....basically say it's the best place to spend your 20s. Could they have a much larger apartment/house if they lived in the Triangle or other lower-cost areas of the country?...of course....but that's not all there is in life.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:57 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,380 times
I went to DC after college and later NYC. It was definitely a struggle on my entry level salary, but everyone else was basically in the same boat. We did lots of fun things for cheap or we would go to free receptions on the Hill. It’s not for everyone, but I wouldn’t trade those years for a bigger apartment or a house at all. Also, it’s such a pain to commute into the city just to hang out all of the time. I built a great career, met fascinating, diverse friends, and got really exciting opportunities that wouldn’t be available in a smaller city. I saved plenty of money being thrifty and was able to buy a nice house once I moved down here, not to mention the fact that I have maintained my salary standard by working remotely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary