Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 04:04 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

I really don't think of any of the towns mentioned as weekend places. NC geography, while similar in some respects to VA, has a much wider piedmont that is just sort of vaguely green and pleasant and not really anywhere I would want a weekend place unless you wanted to be on one of the lakes. For NCers if we are going to vacation elsewhere in the state we head 2 or 3 hours to the beach or 2 or 3 hours to the mountains. Our piedmont and coastal plain (before you get to the beach) is about 4 or 5 hours across. There are lots of folks who have places at the beach or the mountains, but it's pretty uncommon to have a weekend place in Oxford or Hillsborough or Wilson or anything. That's sort of like a weekend place in Danville or Emporia. Maybe you just want to get a place closer to your dad? Like in Belhaven? Little Washington or Plymouth or Edenton? I don't think you're going to find any small town nicer than those towns between Charlottesville and Belhaven. Presumably you want to be somewhat close to your dad or otherwise I guess you wouldn't have mentioned him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 04:23 PM

7 posts, read 9,514 times
Poppydog - true, my idea of a weekend spot is probably unlike others. I have a country house and want to come to the "city" or "town" for the weekend. Roanoke is another option and is likely the best, but that is another forum/story. : )

I don't know that my ideal town exists - or at least not where I want it to be. To really be a "weekender", it needs to be within 2-3 hours (ideally 2 hours) from us. Ideally South to get closer to Belhaven and my Dad. Flat, walkable, bikeable town. Good library, good coffee shop, great internet, good restaurants. Ideally near a lake (or ideally the beach).

So where?? We love little Washington but it is too far. Edenton is a good pick and we have visited several times. I haven't looked at Plymouth - looking now.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Old 01-12-2019, 04:25 PM

Thank you RaleighS. I will check those out now. And yes, I thought Oxford (the one time I visited) was lovely too. As per my other post, I guess my idea of a weekender is unlike most. I live in the country and want to come to a town for the weekend. Will keep looking!!

Old 01-12-2019, 04:26 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessvirginian View Post
Poppydog - true, my idea of a weekend spot is probably unlike others. I have a country house and want to come to the "city" or "town" for the weekend. Roanoke is another option and is likely the best, but that is another forum/story. : )

I don't know that my ideal town exists - or at least not where I want it to be. To really be a "weekender", it needs to be within 2-3 hours (ideally 2 hours) from us. Ideally South to get closer to Belhaven and my Dad. Flat, walkable, bikeable town. Good library, good coffee shop, great internet, good restaurants. Ideally near a lake (or ideally the beach).

So where?? We love little Washington but it is too far. Edenton is a good pick and we have visited several times. I haven't looked at Plymouth - looking now.

Thanks so much for your help!!
I would do a converted condo actually like some places in saxpahaw or I know of an old Mill around falls lake

Saxapahaw yeah that's the best idea why do you need two country houses

Old 01-12-2019, 04:31 PM

What is the draw with your dad? Are you wanting it to be closer to him so he can meet you there? Seems like Edenton would be good.

You could look at Manteo, but that's really getting out of your range from Charlottesville.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:35 PM

I would think of Oxford as more country than anywhere near Charlottesville.

I believe Oxford and Henderson have a lot of property crime.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...206402219.html
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html

Oh, Columbia NC would be close to Belhaven too. Not sure how far from Charlottesville. A lot of those "inner banks" towns have some historic character and a water feature!

Old 01-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Thanks Poppydog. Will continue the search! : )

Old 01-14-2019, 06:26 AM

12 posts, read 10,953 times
Check out Clayton. There are some apartments coming in soon (they’ve been approved but haven’t started construction) in a converted mill building, and the downtown has restaurants, bars, shops, and a great coffee shop. A few weekends a year there are music festivals. The mountains to sea trail is going to connect into the downtown grid in a year or two, connecting downtown to over 30 miles of paved greenway.

Might be a little far but worth considering!

Old 01-14-2019, 07:51 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickingAUserNameIsHard View Post
Check out Clayton. There are some apartments coming in soon (they’ve been approved but haven’t started construction) in a converted mill building, and the downtown has restaurants, bars, shops, and a great coffee shop. A few weekends a year there are music festivals. The mountains to sea trail is going to connect into the downtown grid in a year or two, connecting downtown to over 30 miles of paved greenway.

Might be a little far but worth considering!
In the Raleigh area I'd say look at Wake Forest, too. It's 30mins closer to Virginia and meets most of the criteria the OP is looking for especially with the large network of greenway trails. (We walk/ride all over the Heritage area on the new trails.)

It doesn't have a beach in town, but Falls Lake is nearby. Also, Lake Gaston & Kerr Lake are easy drives from Wake Forest, too.

If you are willing to drive to Oxford then Wake Forest is not that much further from there. I just can't fathom living in Oxford, though. It's not for me and I'll leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary