Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 01:59 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
This, and the unequal way that the dress code is enforced. Not only is it enforced unfairly against girls, but also unfairly among girls. Some girls are “targeted” for enforcement more than others.

Dress code enforcement is also sometimes downright creepy. Teachers should in no way be commenting on visible nipples under an opaque shirt. Just no.

Professional women sometimes have visible nipples, including teachers. Same with visible cleavage. Boys and men, too, for that matter. Please, just teach the kids and do not focus on their bodies.
All of what you said are teacher issues not dress code issues. If a teacher is commenting on a females nipples in a shirt that otherwise is to code, then that teacher should be reported IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 02:12 PM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
All of what you said are teacher issues not dress code issues. If a teacher is commenting on a females nipples in a shirt that otherwise is to code, then that teacher should be reported IMO.
Well, that was the issue brought up earlier in the thread. The new dress code mandates opaque clothing on the torso, but not undergarments. The discussion then turned to whether undergarments should be required, for example so that nipples don’t show.

Unfortunately, not an unprecedented issue in a high school. https://youtu.be/fxQf-zE12BI

Regardless, IMO, teachers should not be commenting on clothes and bodies. I like the policy of contacting the front office to handle egregious dress code violations. Teachers tend to enforce dress code unequally, whether they mean to or not. We’ve had an unfortunate experience with a teacher who would ignore a visible thong on a classmate and comment on my child’s midriff being briefly visible when she raised her arms. He commented on my daughter’s clothing frequently. No other teacher did. Hmmm... (we got her transferred out of his creep class)

Old 04-26-2019, 05:24 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Well gee, now I'm really curious as to what Twingles thinks a banana hammock is.
It doesn’t take a lot of imagination to figure out what a banana hammock is

Old 04-29-2019, 08:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes I saw my fair share of banana hammocks in high school...not so much in my school but guys just out and about. But you and I are about the same age RedZin.

Flip side of that is I don't remember any dress code issues with girls either, but back in the 1980s parents were not looking for any excuse to blame someone or something else for their kids' bad behavior.
Yeah...we are around the same age.

I cannot say I ever recall any girls being sent home for violating dress code in HS, either. This seems to have started to pick up steam when my kids were in school because I did read the manual with the eldest son and noticed stuff I don't ever remember from when I was in school.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No private schools generally require uniforms because they find clothing that might otherwise be worn DISTRACTING and they also want all the kids to look the same. They don't want kids looking at/admiring/coveting brands and labels that other kids are wearing. This is the same reason many private schools place a limit on how much jewelry may be worn along with the type. Same with hair length for boys, the color that hair may be dyed, etc etc. And in private schools the dress code is the same and applied the same for boys and girls. My kid goes to Gibbons - for 9-11 grade the boys and girls wear the exact same thing - white golf/tennis shirt and khaki bottoms. This is the reason many public schools have gone to uniforms too.

And, yes, since you have not been following along with these stories that have been in the news, the reason that dress codes in public schools have been in place has been because certain clothing items have been deemed too distracting. And it is - as you also pointed out - almost exclusively aimed at girls and the fact that it might distract boys. Sorry, but I'm ok with the days of boys harassing girls and being disruptive because of what they are wearing coming to an end. Control yourself. It's not too much to ask.

Now, for me personally, I think that everyone should have some self respect in what they wear and that's a different issue. It's about the person themselves, not how others will react to them. My daughter wears very short shorts to school, and I would not have had the confidence to do that at the same age. But for her it's about her comfort and not how other people are looking at her (and they aren't tight - they are athletic shorts, they are just very short). So it's ok with me. Her tops are always very modest.
The really funny part is that there is so much pearl-clutching and hand-wringing in high school and they leave for college and walk around massive campuses dressed in their underwear, pretty much.

So, better they get used to people wearing a variety of clothing while they are in high school and under more direction than go to college and have their minds totally blown while unsupervised, I say.

In fact, college clothes would probably be more subdued if kids understood how to dress properly by spending time in high school making choices and being supervised instead of feeling like they're being oppressed by the fashion police.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Would your daughter wear short shorts to her first job interview? Her first day on the job? I believe very strongly that women/girls have the right to wear what they want. But I can't help it if I notice those clothing choices.
High school classes are not job interviews.

Anyone is free to "notice" what someone is wearing. They are not free to blame that other person's clothing for their lack of attention or their actions.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
This, and the unequal way that the dress code is enforced. Not only is it enforced unfairly against girls, but also unfairly among girls. Some girls are “targeted” for enforcement more than others.

Dress code enforcement is also sometimes downright creepy. Teachers should in no way be commenting on visible nipples under an opaque shirt. Just no.

Professional women sometimes have visible nipples, including teachers. Same with visible cleavage. Boys and men, too, for that matter. Please, just teach the kids and do not focus on their bodies.
The girls who have developed more curvy figures the youngest are targeted the hardest and those girls are very often minorities/POC.

Which just compounds the issue.

I default to my original perspective. As long as their torsos are covered in opaque garments, we should just let the kids go to school and learn, not have to deal with all this rigmarole.

And, this thread has made me sound like my grandmother, because I have never used rigmarole in a sentence until right now.

Thanks a lot.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:16 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I have a son and this bothers me. I think we need to teach our children that what someone else is wearing is not their business and that they need to focus on the task at hand, not someone’s exposed legs or cleavage. What a child wears to school should be up to the parents of that child. If you want to let your child go to class looking like a prostitute then my son should be respectful and not judge her based on that and focus on his classwork. Will he notice it? Yes. Does it mean she shouldn’t be able to wear it? No.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:36 PM

555 posts, read 500,347 times
Rules are rules and teachers have plenty to do outside teaching kids how to dress with self-respect. The rules may not be perfect in the past or now, but they exist because apparently that's not a concept universally thought of. I emphasize to my kids that we dress in a way that shows respect for ourselves and our environment (why there's a place for a bikini but it's not in class). Also - the rules are the rules - they might not be exactly how we want them but the general idea is there and my kids will concentrate on understanding and respecting them. Telling them how it's so unfair to them creates a victim mentality that I won't contribute to. The long-lived spaghetti strap ban was probably over the top, but I wouldn't have breathed a word that suggested "injustice" to my kids if they had been old enough to have to abide by it. It's not necessary to make a big deal of the dress code outside of enforcing it with what you buy them for school attire. And I think boys learning to "control themselves" has been going for a quite a while in families that care even slightly about raising a responsible adult so I just don't see the hand-wringing there either.

Everyone demands such perfect consideration and conditions for their kids - no wonder people are hesitant to go into teaching.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:37 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I have a son and this bothers me. I think we need to teach our children that what someone else is wearing is not their business and that they need to focus on the task at hand, not someone’s exposed legs or cleavage. What a child wears to school should be up to the parents of that child. If you want to let your child go to class looking like a prostitute then my son should be respectful and not judge her based on that and focus on his classwork. Will he notice it? Yes. Does it mean she shouldn’t be able to wear it? No.
It's not respectful to the teachers, principals, or the educational system as a whole when you show up to school looking like a prostitute. That in itself has nothing to do with distracting boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: