Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:13 PM

51 posts, read 284,200 times

Advertisements

We are considering a relo to Raleigh - what would you say are the top 7 reasons to move there? To keep it balanced, please also provide the top 5 reasons NOT to move there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 04:22 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
The Force may assist you, if allow it you will, young Jedi.

The 7:
1. Great people.
2. Great climate.
3. Good diverse economy.
4. Eastern NC pulled pork barbeque.
5. Easy living.
6. Because you offer something positive.
7. Close to mountains and beaches.

And the Dark Side 5:
1. If negative emotion you bring.
2. If adjust you won't, but whine for Naboo you will.
3. If you will miss the snow.
4. If at my door his business your dog will do.
5. Budding Sith criminals your kids are .

Into your heart look you must, my young padawan. Within you is the truth.
Obi-wan, Yoda, and Mace Windu

Old 12-19-2006, 07:39 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,172 times
Default Laughing Mao

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

The 7:
1. Great people.
2. Great climate.
3. Good diverse economy.
5. Easy living.

And the Dark Side 5:

Apparently, I have to spread around some reputation before rating your post, but consider yourself positively pinged! It takes a lot for me to laugh out loud at my computer screen. I'm not even sure I can create my own list to follow this one.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:54 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
Apparently, I have to spread around some reputation before rating your post, but consider yourself positively pinged! It takes a lot for me to laugh out loud at my computer screen. I'm not even sure I can create my own list to follow this one.
You are quite welcome, and thanks for the ++ ping.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:29 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

The 7:
1. Great people.
2. Great climate.
3. Good diverse economy.
5. Easy living.

And the Dark Side 5:

I laughed out loud too and couldn't believe I actually understood what you were talking about............my husband has just let my daughter watch all of the star wars movies and I am constantly getting questions about it..........now I know who to refer her when she starts a question with "mom, in episode two......."

Leigh

Old 12-19-2006, 01:54 PM

137 posts, read 607,290 times
LOL that was great Mike!

And the eastern carolina BBQ rocks...

Old 06-19-2008, 09:55 AM

4 posts, read 11,823 times
Default ehh...

To move:
1. Pleanty of shopping and reaturants
2. If you like college basketball...welcome to Mecca. (I'm from KY and basketball is supreme there too...but you are almost forced to pick a side...TarHeel or Blue Devil. I say go Wolfpack!)
3. Pleasant Winters
4. Raleigh is growing like crazy
5. If you're ready to settle down...this is home
6. 2 hours from mountains and beaches
7. If you like country music a lot of great people come through the capital city

To not move:
1. Traffic sucks and NC drivers can't drive for crap. They seem to just stop in the middle of the road. It takes 20 minutes to get anywhere.
2. Not the "Souther Hospitality" that I was expecting. People are basically nice, but nothing to write home about.
3. Nightlife is basically boring.
4. The summers are AWFUL!! The humidity will smack you in the face and make you want to stay inside! We had a week of 100+ weather...yuck.
5. Raleigh is basically a small town. Yes, there may be more places to shop, a few more concerts, but there is nothing unique about Raleigh...and it is flat. So it isn't that pretty either. It's jus a bunch of subdivisions.

Good place to settle down with a family...but not to explore and be a young person in their 20's...which is me!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:27 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
Pros to Moving:
1. Moderate weather - not too hot/not too cold
2. Travel access; interstates, airport, train station
3. Reasonable cost of living
4. Access to a plethora of universities and colleges
5. Growth - both residential and commercial
6. Abundance of parks and greenways
7. Diversity - yes it's here you may have to look a little

Cons to moving:

1. Dependency on automobiles, no train and buses can be difficult - remember the Triangle spans many communities
2. Jobs are not as plentiful as many people relocating would like to believe
3. Raleigh has lost much (not all) of the historical look; we like to build new buildings and homes instead of renovate

Old 06-19-2008, 03:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennbrown8 View Post
... but there is nothing unique about Raleigh...and it is flat. So it isn't that pretty either. It's jus a bunch of subdivisions.

Good place to settle down with a family...but not to explore and be a young person in their 20's...which is me!
I am really confused here. I can't imagine how anyone can call Raleigh flat when it's nothing but a series of rolling hills. Also, if you consider that Raleigh is a just a bunch of subdivisions, I come to the conclusion that you never go into the city itself. There you will find many unique neighborhoods, nightlife, diversity, etc. And, If I were in my 20's, I'd make a point of setting my life in that direction. Life's too short (and so is youth) wasting it in familyland if that's not your thing. Go explore and you might be pleasantly surprised at your options in Raleigh.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:30 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I am really confused here. I can't imagine how anyone can call Raleigh flat when it's nothing but a series of rolling hills. Also, if you consider that Raleigh is a just a bunch of subdivisions, I come to the conclusion that you never go into the city itself. There you will find many unique neighborhoods, nightlife, diversity, etc. And, If I were in my 20's, I'd make a point of setting my life in that direction. Life's too short (and so is youth) wasting it in familyland if that's not your thing. Go explore and you might be pleasantly surprised at your options in Raleigh.
Exactly. There are so many places to explore in Raleigh, it's not even funny. It's also one of the most hilliest places around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary