Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 08:40 AM

7 posts, read 7,264 times

Advertisements

My son - Age 26. Brown skin, black hair –long with beard , born here, American, bleeds red white and blue, Ivy league graduate, goes to UNC Medical School, visiting home for a week. Sitting in Starbucks enjoying his coffee and working on laptop.

Two Cary police officers are called to investigate this alien looking creature in an all white clientele of Starbucks by someone who is obviously uneducated, ignorant, racist. Equally the police officers are aggressive with presumption of guilt (How can a brown looking person dare sit in Starbucks in Cary), asked for ID and why he was there. After checking the ID they left him alone as he showed them his home is less than 1 mile away.

We should all look in the mirror and introspect what kind of society are we becoming ? The people who silently witnessed this did not speak up and shrugged it off. Remember when they get a health care scare of sickness or accident, my son would be the one of those making life and death decisions as a doctor.

Me, my family, and friends will totally boycott Starbucks from now on and will spread the word. They just lost $10,000/year revenue from 1 family forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 08:44 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times
sounds sort of like the "swatting" that gamers do.
"someone" contacts the law with ominous descriptions.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:57 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,856,145 times
It’s weird since obviously there is a rather large Indian population all around that area. It’s also weird the quasi-threat you threw in about your son deciding life/death. I wouldn’t expect the other customers to get involved when they don’t know what’s going on. I’m sorry it happened whatever it was though (swatting, profiling, etc).

Last edited by Heel82; 06-14-2019 at 09:05 AM..

Old 06-14-2019, 09:14 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldj3 View Post
... Two Cary police officers are called to investigate this alien looking creature in an all white clientele of Starbucks by someone who is obviously uneducated, ignorant, racist.

Me, my family, and friends will totally boycott Starbucks from now on and will spread the word. They just lost $10,000/year revenue from 1 family forever.
Who called the police? If it was another Starbucks customer then you have no gripe with Starbucks. In that case your rage is misplaced.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:52 AM

401 posts, read 529,345 times
Why do you think it had anything to do with race? There are people who just have a problem living in a society with other people and who cannot mind their own business and keep to themselves. This kind of thing happens to me all the time, no matter where I am. I also agree that if you don't know who called, then you can't assume it was Starbucks - and believe me I am no fan of Starbucks. The world is full of people who think that others don't have the same rights as they do. It is puzzling.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:58 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,008,258 times
Starbucks in Cary gets a lot of brown customers

Perhaps there was another reason

Old 06-14-2019, 10:06 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,168,057 times
Maybe he matched the description of someone who was wanted?

How do you know this is about race? Jumping to conclusions, and making lots of assumptions while bragging about your own status, is all I got from this. I'm sure Starbucks can find "$10,000" from other sources.

Im a white male, and have been pulled over by cops more than once, for absolutely no reason. Twice, was driving home from work after 2nd shift, most likely them hoping to just happen upon someone leaving a bar. Once because they thought I was someone else (their story). And a few othervtines for other oddball reasons. (I thought you were a kid on a dirt bike) might be my favorite. I was on a street legal motorcycle, wearing full gear, valid plate, etc. Turns out I think he just wanted to check out my bike and talk.

In none of those instances did I get a ticket, or get handcuffed, harassed etc. Know why? Becuae I was respectful, had manners, and we both went on our merry way afterwards with no drama More people should try that. Not once did I feel compelled to say "do you know who I am, who my father is, or how much I'm worth".

Last edited by TheBigKahunaNC; 06-14-2019 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: G

Old 06-14-2019, 10:09 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
There MUST be more to the story. I don't see how someone just working on their computer and drinking a coffee gets the police called on them just because they're brown. In a location that sees plenty of brown. Something's been left out. Perhaps not by the OP intentionally. The OP may not have the full story.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:16 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,168,057 times
There's always more to the story.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:19 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,342,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldj3 View Post
The people who silently witnessed this did not speak up and shrugged it off. Remember when they get a health care scare of sickness or accident, my son would be the one of those making life and death decisions as a doctor.
You aren't helping your case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary