Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 09:19 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy DPAC and the shows I've seen there. Just saw Hello Dolly and have tickets for an ABBA tribute show, Kenny G and the Donna Summer musical.

That said, prices seem to be higher for Broadway shows, more so than musical numbers for the same type of seat.

Do you think DPAC is overpriced or priced fairly compared to other venues or prices for Broadway shows in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 10:00 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I find their prices have gone UP quite a bit in the last year or two.

Definitely more than when I first started going!

Old 06-21-2019, 10:17 AM

I was going to book two shows today, but only booked one. Both were almost $100 a person. I picked the one that I thought we would enjoy more.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:43 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Prices are going up everywhere. It's not just DPAC.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:44 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
I think a lot of entertainment (concerts, Broadway-style plays, a lot of sporting events) has gotten ridiculously expensive over the years, and that is before tacking on the insanely priced ticket fees, paying for parking, and then paying for the incredibly marked up food and beverage at the venue.

I've never been much into theater, but I have always loved live music. But for that, I get more enjoyment just going to small, local venues like Kings or the Cradle for usually $15-30 (and $6 craft beers). I'll generally skip seeing washed up old rockers charging $100+ a ticket and the Miller Lites that cost $14.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:07 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I think a lot of entertainment (concerts, Broadway-style plays, a lot of sporting events) has gotten ridiculously expensive over the years, and that is before tacking on the insanely priced ticket fees, paying for parking, and then paying for the incredibly marked up food and beverage at the venue.

I've never been much into theater, but I have always loved live music. But for that, I get more enjoyment just going to small, local venues like Kings or the Cradle for usually $15-30 (and $6 craft beers). I'll generally skip seeing washed up old rockers charging $100+ a ticket and the Miller Lites that cost $14.
Wouldn't let me rep you again, but this is exactly it for me too.

I'd also add that I assume a broadway production has more costs. They have to do the entire set, and in addition to travelling performers, also have to bring on locals at every venue. At least a rock show (of any size) can create a tour and set it up and break it down each day.

In general, ALL shows are overpriced these days.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:28 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
The current ticket prices of musicals in particular (both Broadway and touring productions) really bothers me because I would love for high quality theater to be accessible to everyone. It's one of the reasons that Hamilton bothers me so much. The fact that people are willing to pay $400+ (sometimes into the thousands) PER SEAT is absolutely asinine. It doesn't matter how great anyone thinks Hamilton is, no theater production is "worth" that kind of money (and that's coming from a big theater fan). And frankly every person who pays those ridiculous inflated prices to see Hamilton is contributing to the problem. That's great that they can afford to blow that much on one show, but it sends the message to producers that they can raise the prices across the board. And before we know it, theater has become only accessible to the elite. That's heartbreaking if you ask me.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:34 PM

I guess the good thing is DPAC offers student tickets on some shows. And you can get a cheap seat farther back. Good for music shows.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:36 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post

This. I am SO glad I went to see big acts when their tickets didn't require me to go into debt to finance them.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:37 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Wouldn't let me rep you again, but this is exactly it for me too.

I'd also add that I assume a broadway production has more costs. They have to do the entire set, and in addition to travelling performers, also have to bring on locals at every venue. At least a rock show (of any size) can create a tour and set it up and break it down each day.

In general, ALL shows are overpriced these days.

Yes, to see a show on Broadway is going to run around $200/ticket....although we saw Waitress on Broadway this spring and think tickets were closer to $100. But - there's a lot of people to pay in a Broadway production and the band/orchestra too. Those people make some good money.

I agree with everything Hertfordshire said - when I was in junior high I belonged to the theatre club which simply meant we got to skip school every other month and go into NYC to see a show. Never could that be affordable for most people today. The day included train fare, the show, lunch and seeing all the sights depending on time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary