Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 10:44 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times

Advertisements

Fact of the matter is that property owners have a right to develop their land, and local governments in many ways have their hands tied in terms of what limits they can put on things.

If there wasn't demand for apartments, developers wouldn't be building them. For a very long time, this area has been heavily weighted toward SFHs, but as the area grows and matures, it's unsurprising that denser projects with more varied living styles are becoming more popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 10:46 AM

52 posts, read 47,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
Lots of folks tired of all the clear cutting. Wife and I are actually in contact with land owners of several good size parcels that want to sell, but dont want it developed, and want it actively farmed.

So the sentiment is fairly widespread...
I have no issue with developers clearing the trees. Like other posters said with all the growth its going to be cleared anyways. I just wish some more interesting stuff got put in, primarily some better food options since I work nearby.

Tbh I love seeing development of any kind as long as it will be use out of it.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:58 AM

329 posts, read 249,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loko4Loco View Post
I have no issue with developers clearing the trees. Like other posters said with all the growth its going to be cleared anyways. I just wish some more interesting stuff got put in, primarily some better food options since I work nearby.

Tbh I love seeing development of any kind as long as it will be use out of it.
I'm currently not a fan of it because the roads never keep up with the additional housing. The local govt never does anything to increase the road carrying capacity when a new development comes in.

Where I live at I have 2500 homes popping up in my backyard and the roads are still 2 lane country roads.

It's also annoying that when I'm hauling farm equipment and supplies on my local roads, all the new comers like to tailgate my farm equipment. Half of newcomers to these new developments are a bunch of peckerwoods based on their driving habits.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:33 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
To many people, over development occurs the day after they move into an area.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:51 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
To many people, over development occurs the day after they move into an area.

Isn't that the truth! I got here first and nobody else can move here. As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Old 08-22-2019, 01:10 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Lots of folks tired of all the clear cutting. Wife and I are actually in contact with land owners of several good size parcels that want to sell, but dont want it developed, and want it actively farmed.

conservation easements are easy-peasy

Old 08-22-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
conservation easements are easy-peasy
We thought about that, but I need to be able to clear forest for pasture, cut logs for making my own lumber, build numerous outbuildings and eventually have my kids build homes on the land.

Conservation easements are great if you want to abandon land, but not so great if you want to use it.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:17 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
Quote:
We thought about that, but I need to be able to clear forest for pasture, cut logs for making my own lumber, build numerous outbuildings and eventually have my kids build homes on the land.

Your children are not named Mary Amelia, Laura Elizabeth, Caroline Celestia (Carrie), Charles Frederick (Freddie), and Grace Pearl are they

Old 08-22-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
Your children are not named Mary Amelia, Laura Elizabeth, Caroline Celestia (Carrie), Charles Frederick (Freddie), and Grace Pearl are they
Haha, no, but we do like double first names.

I suppose we do sort of live like them to some extent. We raise the vast majority of our own meat needs, but we freeze meat instead of salting or smoking.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:55 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:

Well unless those are tree farms I hate to tell you this but the land will be cleared anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary