Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 08:56 AM

569 posts, read 342,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Those crawling "dining options" live on grease in sanitary sewers and come out at night.
Happy Hunting!
Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches apparently taste like chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 09:09 AM

1,045 posts, read 759,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
After a couple years of endless research, planning, fear and second-guessing, I finally took the plunge last summer. Primary reasons for the move were: Lower cost of housing, concern with direction of state government (taxes, regulations, etc.), greater career and business opportunities, and a general desire for change and adventure.

Good Stuff
1. People- There is a distinct and noticeable friendly vibe. I am surprised how easy it is to have conversations even with random people out and about. Many have offered their phone numbers for networking (one led to a job offer). The pace of life is more relaxed and easier than Southern California.

2. Climate-The changeable weather is actually much less of a shock than I expected, I would even say it's kinda of interesting and exciting. Out west it was typically dry after April with no rain till September (maybe). The summer heat and humidity didn't bother me since I prefer it hotter. I'm still seeing how winter will pan out but so far it's been a breeze.

3. Environment- I have to admit that I miss the dramatic and diverse landscapes of the west but the Carolina pines, rolling hills and lakes go far in making up for it. Some of the countryside expanse is truly stunning; this is a beautiful state.

4. Traffic- Getter around by car is a comparative joy from what I am accustomed to. Even the rush hour traffic at least moves, I haven't experienced miles of standstill/5 mph gridlock. I'm also finding that there is an extensive network of secondary roads that make for convenient alternatives.

5. Culture/Entertainment - I was concerned about the knocks against the Triangle for being "boring". This is far from the reality in my experience. There are a ton of cool places to go, things to do, and places to see. Even so, "funner" cities are just a few hours up the road (Charlotte, DC).

Not So Good Stuff
1. Roadside trash- Wow. It's the worst I've personally experienced. One glaring example, the Smithfield Road/264 interesection is really bad: two mattresses, at least 5-8 whole tires and fragments, crate parts, plastic sheets, cardboard, bags of trash, and countless cups, bottles, cans, and junk. I don't understand why or how this is allowed.

2. Political Scene- I didn't expect the extreme difference, in my view, of political values and attitudes within a relatively short distance span: Super liberal Durham-Chapel Hill on one end and ruby red Clayton-Zebulon on the other. I'm not making any judgements (please let's start a forum war), but it has taken time to get used such a sharp cultural/political gradient.

3. Fast/Aggressive drivers - They haven't been the norm but more noticeable owing to my expectations for a genteel, hospitable southern culture. Been tailgated plenty of times while driving the speed limit in the slow lane.

4. Palmetto Bugs- The first one I spotted made me want to pack up and move back!

5. Dining Options - Maybe I will feel better about this as I get more familiar with the area but it's been a huge step back in terms of diversity and authenticity of quisine.

What to Do Differently
I knew that renting first would be the smart move but I found a great deal on property in a nice area; so it worked out fine. Overall, I am happy with the decision to relocate and will give in my best shot to make it work. Thanks again to all the forum members who helped out with advice and wisdom.
I'm glad you're happy here but my fiance and I plan to realize our dream of living out West. I detest NC, at least the Triad area.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:16 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches apparently taste like chicken.

NC Triangle cockroaches live in sanitary sewers, feasting on greasy poop.
I will leave reporting on their taste to you.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:16 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,832,093 times
The best diversity of dining options, I have found, are in the places you wouldn't expect it.

Cary has a reputation for being bland/boring/etc. But there's a surprising variety of authentic ethnic cuisine mixed in, particularly in the lower-rent parts of town.

On the other hand, I find some of the downtown places (which is supposed to be the genteel/classy part of the area) to be flashy but lacking in substance - kind of bland and watered down.

YMMV. I am not a foodie and I am sure there are places that don't fit this mold. Some of the low-rent ethnic places are just nasty, and there are some real gems downtown. But all I'm saying is - be sure you're looking everywhere, because sometimes the best stuff can be in counter-intuitive places, especially when you're looking for diversity.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:52 PM

634 posts, read 913,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
... I'm still seeing how winter will pan out but so far it's been a breeze ...
The new normal?

Old 01-10-2020, 10:15 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
The new normal?
20 years ago in January 2000 (wow).....We had a very similar start to January as we've had this year. And then in the last two weeks had one 6 inch and one 20+ inch snowstorm.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:05 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
The best diversity of dining options, I have found, are in the places you wouldn't expect it.

Cary has a reputation for being bland/boring/etc. But there's a surprising variety of authentic ethnic cuisine mixed in, particularly in the lower-rent parts of town.

YES. Cary is so underrated for this.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:14 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
YES. Cary is so underrated for this.

Why would I eat ethnic foods in Cary when I can go to Raleigh, gobble a Sysco Grand Slam at Denny's and spout off about Cary?

Old 01-11-2020, 06:39 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Why would I eat ethnic foods in Cary when I can go to Raleigh, gobble a Sysco Grand Slam at Denny's and spout off about Cary?
But but but everyone says so! It’s beige and everyone is from the northeast! I’m much cooler here in (fill in the blank as long as it’s not Cary.)

Nicely done OP. I’m sure six months feels like a lot of time but take it from a fellow transplant. It’s not!

Old 01-11-2020, 06:45 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I'm glad you're happy here but my fiance and I plan to realize our dream of living out West. I detest NC, at least the Triad area.
Beware...as a native Californian...I can say the grass is not always greener....pun intended. However, I've always subscribed to the notion that life is an adventure...I believe it was Hunter Thompson who said...

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Go for it
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary