Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 12:26 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Did Drees actually claim to be a custom builder? Interesting....
They offer 6 floor plans in Holding Village. While you can do some customization, mostly from a list of options and elevations, that is not what most people think of when discussing custom builders.
https://www.dreeshomes.com/custom-ho...lding_village/
The sales guy told my husband that we could add walls, take walls out. Make any changes inside that we wanted. I wasnt impressed with the neighborhood so I didnt press any further to see how far he would go with changes. He said they are trying to finish up in there so they would give us $20,000 in upgrades and make the changes we wanted to the floor plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 12:56 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
We talked to Drees builders in Holding village and he said they are the only builder in there that does custom homes with 5-7 bedrooms. We are a family of 3 so we dont need a massive house. We do need home office space and room for guests since we have no family here. We want to look at some of the other ones you listed before deciding.

I am sure they will do some customization within the plans they offer, but that isn't the context I was using "custom".

I meant Custom build as in "you aren't pulling from a predefined plan" vs the "Production homes" that you get to choose everything from a series of preset plans/menus.

The people that built the house we're in customized everything down to the type of trim/chair rails/size of floor boards, the type of doors going into bed/bath rooms, cabinet wood and color, what the "extra room" on the back of the house would be etc.

Since Production built homes tend to have an economy of scale to them, they tend to be a little cheaper.

I readily admit I am far from a RE expert, so I may be using the terms wrong. Just wanted to explain how I was using the words I was.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I am sure they will do some customization within the plans they offer, but that isn't the context I was using "custom".

I meant Custom build as in "you aren't pulling from a predefined plan" vs the "Production homes" that you get to choose everything from a series of preset plans/menus.

The people that built the house we're in customized everything down to the type of trim/chair rails/size of floor boards, the type of doors going into bed/bath rooms, cabinet wood and color, what the "extra room" on the back of the house would be etc.

Since Production built homes tend to have an economy of scale to them, they tend to be a little cheaper.

I readily admit I am far from a RE expert, so I may be using the terms wrong. Just wanted to explain how I was using the words I was.
Yes I get what you are saying. Our friends that built in there and used a different builder had very little say so on anything besides what upgrades they wanted. The Drees model home was much different inside than the floor plan and he said they would sit down with us for 2 separate 3 hour meetings to discuss exactly how we wanted the inside layout to be. I am not set on a new build. New construction worries me.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:11 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Quote:
Yes I get what you are saying. Our friends that built in there and used a different builder had very little say so on anything besides what upgrades they wanted. The Drees model home was much different inside than the floor plan and he said they would sit down with us for 2 separate 3 hour meetings to discuss exactly how we wanted the inside layout to be. I am not set on a new build. New construction worries me.
New construction is FUN. Having said that, I'd be careful when speaking with onsite agents because they do work for the builder. Maybe once you narrow things down a bit, you should look into finding yourself a buyer's agent. They don't charge you.

Off my soapbox...

Back to the idea of new construction and Holding Village. I recently had 2 buyers move in to Holding Village but they wanted a smaller yard. Neither one bought drees. Drees isn't really considered a custom builder so I'd want to verify they move walls! In writing! One difference between custom and tract is the quality of things like windows. Tract builders use cheaper ones even though they meet code.

Ask your Realtor to use your price range and send you homes that match your criteria. There may be some you don't know about in the school you are interested in. You'd be surprised how many neighborhoods you don't even know are there...hidden by the trees!!!

Old 02-03-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
New construction is FUN. Having said that, I'd be careful when speaking with onsite agents because they do work for the builder. Maybe once you narrow things down a bit, you should look into finding yourself a buyer's agent. They don't charge you.

Off my soapbox...

Back to the idea of new construction and Holding Village. I recently had 2 buyers move in to Holding Village but they wanted a smaller yard. Neither one bought drees. Drees isn't really considered a custom builder so I'd want to verify they move walls! In writing! One difference between custom and tract is the quality of things like windows. Tract builders use cheaper ones even though they meet code.

Ask your Realtor to use your price range and send you homes that match your criteria. There may be some you don't know about in the school you are interested in. You'd be surprised how many neighborhoods you don't even know are there...hidden by the trees!!!
Thanks. Our realtor is in FV. She has shown us houses in Apex and Cary. I dont know if she knows much about Wake Forest. We are trying to see whats its like before we have her show us houses up there.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:56 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Quote:
Thanks. Our realtor is in FV. She has shown us houses in Apex and Cary. I dont know if she knows much about Wake Forest. We are trying to see whats its like before we have her show us houses up there.
That's not a bad idea. Just make sure you tell the onsite agents that she'll be with you when you are serious. Don't exclude her too much as it is better if she is aware of what the onsite agent says so she can help you if there ends up being conversations that the onsite agent doesn't remember!!! LOL

Old 02-04-2020, 06:30 AM

5 posts, read 2,935 times
Holding Village is a Charleston style neighborhood. And similar to Bedford in Raleigh if you’re familiar. They are not going to have huge backyards just not designed that way. So again not for everyone. But if you’re looking for NEW/ newer construction home in the heart of WF it’s a wonderful option. Like I said before a broad range of sq. footage so it meets needs of small or big families, along with a broad range of price points! If you really want WF - The best option is spend a day driving thru the neighborhoods listed and the various Heritage subdivisions since all are different to really get a feel for what’s best for your family I think everyone will agree WF is a wonderful place for families. Best of luck for your home search!

Old 02-04-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJLporter View Post
Holding Village is a Charleston style neighborhood. And similar to Bedford in Raleigh if you’re familiar. They are not going to have huge backyards just not designed that way. So again not for everyone. But if you’re looking for NEW/ newer construction home in the heart of WF it’s a wonderful option. Like I said before a broad range of sq. footage so it meets needs of small or big families, along with a broad range of price points! If you really want WF - The best option is spend a day driving thru the neighborhoods listed and the various Heritage subdivisions since all are different to really get a feel for what’s best for your family I think everyone will agree WF is a wonderful place for families. Best of luck for your home search!
Thanks. This thread has been helpful. We are going to spend a day or two looking around WF to get a feel for what our options are. We are bee keepers and the house we are renting in Morrisville is not in an HOA and we have a nice size yard. My husband really doesnt want to give up his bees. I wish we could stay close to where we are not not disrupt my sons school, friends and soccer but we cant afford to buy in this area.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:00 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Thanks. This thread has been helpful. We are going to spend a day or two looking around WF to get a feel for what our options are. We are bee keepers and the house we are renting in Morrisville is not in an HOA and we have a nice size yard. My husband really doesnt want to give up his bees. I wish we could stay close to where we are not not disrupt my sons school, friends and soccer but we cant afford to buy in this area.

I'd check with Charleston Management (Heritage HOA) about the bees. They have a pretty broad "no animals are to be kept outside" policy that may impact that.

The only stipulation they have to the bylaw is dogs, in certain situations (i.e. you cant have a kennel outside for breeding animals etc but your dog can be outside to do its business as long as it isn't a nuisance)

Old 02-04-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I'd check with Charleston Management (Heritage HOA) about the bees. They have a pretty broad "no animals are to be kept outside" policy that may impact that.

The only stipulation they have to the bylaw is dogs, in certain situations (i.e. you cant have a kennel outside for breeding animals etc but your dog can be outside to do its business as long as it isn't a nuisance)
Thanks. We have other places to keep our bees so my husband says it is not a deal breaker but the options we have are in Apex. We have been in the triangle area for 6 years and still dont have a clue where we belong here. The longer we wait the more we cant afford to be here. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary