Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:13 PM

10 posts, read 92,849 times

Advertisements

Cathedral School is by far the best Catholic School in Raleigh. It has a strong principal and great teachers and was designated as a Presidential Blue Ribbon school. It is about a five minute drive from the Glenwood south area. Very, very close. My son has attended the school for three years. It has a very diverse population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 09:23 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedolphe View Post
Cathedral School is by far the best Catholic School in Raleigh. It has a strong principal and great teachers and was designated as a Presidential Blue Ribbon school. It is about a five minute drive from the Glenwood south area. Very, very close. My son has attended the school for three years. It has a very diverse population.
They're all good (Catholic Schools). I wouldn't say one is better than another, although the philosophies may differ slightly per school.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymiami View Post
Our Lady of Lourdes I believe is in Raleigh. It is a Blue Ribbon School. High standards to get in. We where in the are looking as well over the Easter Weekend, and we went by on Good Friday... lots of families. Seems like a grat parish. They are a "feeder" school into Gibbons High School which is also a Blue Ribbon school. Since you have boys, we have a nine year old too - we found out that both Our Lady of Lourdes and Gibbons are into sports - it's a big deal for us. (I'm not sure if that is politically correct to say )
Can somebody verify Gibbons is a Blue Ribbon school? Thought is was just Our lady of lourdes and Cathedral (catholic schools).
What do you mean by "high standards to get in" ???? I've never heard of anybody not getting in - if their were seats, of course. Thats the goal afterall - full enrollment (helps the budget too). There are many catholic schools in raleigh now. Fifteen years ago, people used to camp out for seats at OLL and Cathedral.. there was a waiting list like you wouldn't believe..

Last edited by weluvwakeforest; 04-26-2008 at 09:33 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 PM

94 posts, read 433,670 times
Regarding Gibbons being a Blue Ribbon School. I was incorrect, it is acutally "One of the top 50 Catholic High Schools in the US" Catholic High School Honor Roll

As far as Our Lady of Lourdes, they have a long waiting list still. I, being product of Catholic Schools K-12, and my children - K - 12, have my share of experience with Catholic Schools. When I contact OLL, I was told they require a face-to-face interview, even if I was out of state, admissions testing, and required to speak to current Principal. I personally thought this was a little out of the traditional entrance bounds....the general tone seemed a bit "particular" to me.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymiami View Post
Regarding Gibbons being a Blue Ribbon School. I was incorrect, it is acutally "One of the top 50 Catholic High Schools in the US" Catholic High School Honor Roll

As far as Our Lady of Lourdes, they have a long waiting list still. I, being product of Catholic Schools K-12, and my children - K - 12, have my share of experience with Catholic Schools. When I contact OLL, I was told they require a face-to-face interview, even if I was out of state, admissions testing, and required to speak to current Principal. I personally thought this was a little out of the traditional entrance bounds....the general tone seemed a bit "particular" to me.
WOW, A few years ago they didn't have a waiting list, and they were actively recruiting students to obtain full enrollment.. particularly in the lower school. I think, in part due to enrollment shifts as the newer schools in the diocese built their own base population (people in Cary likely attend St. Michaels - in the past they had to go to OLL or Cathedral).

Also, OLLS doesn't have a preschool, and many or maybe all of the other catholic schools have "early education centers." Many of these same students eventually attend the elementary school. So, without a preschool OLL must differentiate itself to get enrollment.

Now that enrollment is up and there is a wait list - I guess they can afford to be a little pickier.

I think a wait list makes for a better school... keeps people on their toes a bit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary