Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 10:31 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
We are getting ready to list in Cary (west, but an older neighborhood). Although I know realtors love a staged home, I am thinking if we vacate and move first before listing that might be best?
100%

Staging can be done by Realtor on vacant house if deemed necessary.

I always encourage vacating house before listing, even pre-covid, when possible/practical for the seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 10:41 AM

222 posts, read 218,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
100%

Staging can be done by Realtor on vacant house if deemed necessary.

I always encourage vacating house before listing, even pre-covid, when possible/practical for the seller.
Thank you for your response!
We are not moving far away, so I could always leave behind some furnishings to stage, if needed.
We have been in our home for 20 years, we have a lot of stuff to wade through!

Old 05-11-2020, 11:35 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
We are getting ready to list in Cary (west, but an older neighborhood). Although I know realtors love a staged home, I am thinking if we vacate and move first before listing that might be best?

In the current environment, moving out before selling is even wiser than ever.
You don't have to stage to sell. Just offer a clean, well-kept property.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:47 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
so the consensus is a lot of sellers are withholding but demand hasnt necessarily snapped back?

Old 05-12-2020, 07:29 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Demand is off. New Listings are off even more.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:50 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Demand is off. New Listings are off even more.
Yes.

What is interesting what I have noted is it looks like the supply vs demand curve is so distorted and lopsided right now for certain price points that it has gone back to the "anything under $x amount will sell right away"

Houses that probably would been perceived as inferior before and thus sat a while (everest driveways, exposed corner lots, powerlines int he back yard) are back to selling quickly because there is just NOTHING out there.

If it's a ranch; forget it. Team mate just listed a ranch for $260k and had 17 offers in 4 days (6 of them site unseen; house is in Durham County so only 3 showings per day means 11 out of the 12 in-person showings made an offer) . Pre-covid I'm sure it still would have been a popular house but not 17 offers in 72 hours worthy.

I do think the fact that the tire-kickers are staying home; and it is pretty much only serious buyers out there now; have made it so that the offers-to-showings ratio has skyrocketed.

Another case in point; the listing I was poking fun at here....

Quote:
Getting a listing ready to go active by next weekend. It will be vacant and potentially allowed to have more than 3 showings per day by that time (it is in Durham County by mere feet; across the street is Orange County).

Another agent just listed a property in the same neighborhood with one less bedroom at about 10% higher than comps and took crappy cell-phone pictures that show the place hasn't been thoroughly cleaned in a while. It went active yesterday afternoon and they hilariously put a presumptive "offer deadline" of Monday at noon right from the outset. If that place goes under contract by then....all bets are off.
Is now under contract. Egg all over my face. Good news/timing for my seller and me though!

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 05-12-2020 at 08:03 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 09:24 AM

10 posts, read 6,458 times
Quote:
Yes.

What is interesting what I have noted is it looks like the supply vs demand curve is so distorted and lopsided right now for certain price points that it has gone back to the "anything under $x amount will sell right away"

Houses that probably would been perceived as inferior before and thus sat a while (everest driveways, exposed corner lots, powerlines int he back yard) are back to selling quickly because there is just NOTHING out there.

If it's a ranch; forget it. Team mate just listed a ranch for $260k and had 17 offers in 4 days (6 of them site unseen; house is in Durham County so only 3 showings per day means 11 out of the 12 in-person showings made an offer) . Pre-covid I'm sure it still would have been a popular house but not 17 offers in 72 hours worthy.

I do think the fact that the tire-kickers are staying home; and it is pretty much only serious buyers out there now; have made it so that the offers-to-showings ratio has skyrocketed.

Another case in point; the listing I was poking fun at here....

Is now under contract. Egg all over my face. Good news/timing for my seller and me though!
Absolutely true. We looked at--what we thought was--an overpriced house (newly listed) last week. But we looked b/c there's so little available in our school zone. It's now under contract. Nothing similarly sized in that neighborhood has sold anywhere near their price in the past 2 years.

It seems like the choice is overpay or stay put.

Last edited by CH1234; 05-12-2020 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 09:50 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
kinda feels like we will get waves of events as different dynamics take shape

anyone trying to move now had committed before the pandemic, job offers etc ..as those dry up?

Old 05-12-2020, 09:52 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
People have been buying "overpriced" homes for years in the Triangle.

While the market may be in a stall, demands based on needs are unchanged.
Ranch houses? Solid gold.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:39 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH1234 View Post
Absolutely true. We looked at--what we thought was--an overpriced house (newly listed) last week. But we looked b/c there's so little available in our school zone. It's now under contract. Nothing similarly sized in that neighborhood has sold anywhere near their price in the past 2 years.

It seems like the choice is overpay or stay put.
What makes you think this place is overpriced? There are jobs, there is infrastructure. Between RTP, Duke, UNC, there are lots of people who can afford these places. Especially if they are coming out of state -- these RE prices are simply "under priced" for them. You can actually have a SFH with a decent lot, in a good neighborhood for 400K-500K that can actually be close to your work?! Find me one place that competes with this place in terms of white collar, IT jobs where you can afford the same? You can't meet all three criteria and still snag something for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary