Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:24 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,456 times

Advertisements

Taryn, if you are asking about well visits, such as check ups, don't expect to get in that day or week. However for sick visits, I've never been turned down. Usually I call, leave a voicemail about my childs symptoms and ask them to return my call and let me know if I need to come in or not. Within minutes I get a call back and either get a Drs appointment that day, or they can help me over the phone easily so I dont need to come in for smaller things.

2 great examples of speediness happened just recently. 2 weeks ago, my 6 yr old son went from perfectly normal happy and energetic to down right sick in less than an hour. Usually I would wait a few days before I called, but something didn't "sit right" with everything about this illness. I called early the next morning and asked if it was something he should be seen for, and Anne made me an appointment for 2 hours hence. I brought him in and even she noticed a drastic difference in my son. Turns out he had a severe bout of strep.

Last Monday, my youngest son, who got sick alongside his brother but with a virus and fortunately not strep, still had a slightly runny nose but was otherwise doing fine in the morning. But by late morning he started wheezing. By 2 pm he was having a hard time breathing. This had never happened before. I thought it was originally because he had a stuffy/runny nose from teething 6 teeth at once plus his old virus just gone, but I called and left a voice mail for Dana anyways. She called me back in 2 minutes and told me to bundle him up and bring him down immediately. I was ushered in as soon as I arrived, my son was started on a breathing treatment after they found his oxygen lvls to be at only 88%, (moderate respitory distress is what they called it)and after a few treatments there and not enough of a turn around, Dr Ramsdell called Wake Med Ped ER and reserved a bed for my son. She offered to call EMS for me, but I opted to drive so I could grab my husband and older son on the way. Fortunately at the ER with 5 treatments he turned around well enough to be discharged after a few hours. Dr Ramsdell called me on my cell phone while we were there to make sure we had gotten there alright check the status of our son, and proceeded to keep an open dialogue going with the ER DR so she could be informed of what was going on.

I've had a lot of great Drs and Peds throughout the years, but I think that Dr Ramsdell and her staff take it to a whole new level on their care for their patients and the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 06:15 AM

101 posts, read 594,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
Taryn, if you are asking about well visits, such as check ups, don't expect to get in that day or week. However for sick visits, I've never been turned down. Usually I call, leave a voicemail about my childs symptoms and ask them to return my call and let me know if I need to come in or not. Within minutes I get a call back and either get a Drs appointment that day, or they can help me over the phone easily so I dont need to come in for smaller things.

2 great examples of speediness happened just recently. 2 weeks ago, my 6 yr old son went from perfectly normal happy and energetic to down right sick in less than an hour. Usually I would wait a few days before I called, but something didn't "sit right" with everything about this illness. I called early the next morning and asked if it was something he should be seen for, and Anne made me an appointment for 2 hours hence. I brought him in and even she noticed a drastic difference in my son. Turns out he had a severe bout of strep.

Last Monday, my youngest son, who got sick alongside his brother but with a virus and fortunately not strep, still had a slightly runny nose but was otherwise doing fine in the morning. But by late morning he started wheezing. By 2 pm he was having a hard time breathing. This had never happened before. I thought it was originally because he had a stuffy/runny nose from teething 6 teeth at once plus his old virus just gone, but I called and left a voice mail for Dana anyways. She called me back in 2 minutes and told me to bundle him up and bring him down immediately. I was ushered in as soon as I arrived, my son was started on a breathing treatment after they found his oxygen lvls to be at only 88%, (moderate respitory distress is what they called it)and after a few treatments there and not enough of a turn around, Dr Ramsdell called Wake Med Ped ER and reserved a bed for my son. She offered to call EMS for me, but I opted to drive so I could grab my husband and older son on the way. Fortunately at the ER with 5 treatments he turned around well enough to be discharged after a few hours. Dr Ramsdell called me on my cell phone while we were there to make sure we had gotten there alright check the status of our son, and proceeded to keep an open dialogue going with the ER DR so she could be informed of what was going on.

I've had a lot of great Drs and Peds throughout the years, but I think that Dr Ramsdell and her staff take it to a whole new level on their care for their patients and the parents.

Wow! A whole new level is right! I'm glad I made the switch now! Thanks so much for sharing your insight--it's greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-26-2008, 09:58 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,570 times
I think Cornerstone Pediatrics is wonderful. Dr. Wilson and Dr. Rutledge are *EXCELLENT*. I have never had a problem getting a sick appointment. I prefer a large practice.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:23 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,239 times
Dr. Chip at Raleigh Pediatrics (not to be confused with North Raleigh Pediatrics) is WONDERFUL! I love him!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 01:26 PM

108 posts, read 494,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephz1008 View Post
Any recommendations near Wake Forest???
I started this thread because our pediatrician is so wonderful!
Dr. Karen Burke Haynes of Stepping Stones pediatrics is on Raven Ridge Rd. off of Durant Rd. not far from Wake Forest. She sees patients from all over but I know alot of families from Wakefield and Bedford. The office is very convenieint to 27614 neighborhoods

Last edited by north_raleigh_spa_mom; 04-26-2008 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: forgot name of practice

Old 04-26-2008, 07:53 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,845 times
Does anybody have any recommendations in Chapel Hill? Or SW Durham (e.g. Southpoint area)?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,321 times
It sounds like there are not many satisfied pediatric patients out there. Seems like there are only a small handful of good pediatricians in the area. Any other recommended ped's since Dr. Ramsdell is not accepting new patients? How about family practice doc's?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,995 times
This is a pretty old thread, you may want to search to find some more recent posts. We go it Growing Child Peds. My boys have been seeing them for over 6 years and they are wonderful. They have offices all over Wake County. You can check their website for locations. They have some amazing doctors, and have an urgent care that's open on the weekend. We see Dr. Kristi Woods for most of our appointments because we have a good relationship with her. They have also seen Dr. Hamp, Dr. Knudsen, Dr. Thomas, Dr. Parrin, Colleen Parrish, and Virginia McClean. They have helped us with ADHD, Sensory Disorders, and in Emergency Allergic reactions. I can't say enough good things about them. Welcome | Growing Child Pediatrics

Old 06-01-2010, 06:28 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,557,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Dr Frerich's at North Raleigh Peds on Stonehenge Dr near Creedmoor Rd
We bring our son here as well. No complaints so far!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 PM

143 posts, read 363,593 times
Carolina Kids Pediatrics- Drs. Nechyba, Foor, Willey...they are all wonderful! My kids have been going to Carolina Kids since we relocated 4 years ago. Dr. Nechyba listens, catches subtle symptoms, is proactive and caring. I've recommended Carolina Kids and Dr. Nechyba numerous times and every referral has been very happy. I live in Wake Forest and drive over there - we used to live closer, but its worth the extra drive time in my book for great pediatricians. They also have weekend hours, big help if your kids (like mine) always get sick Friday night at 1 am! You dont have to wait til Monday, there are sick hours Saturday and Sunday morning.
Good luck-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary