Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 12:45 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It was odd that you mentioned "here in France..." as if it were a common french trait. I would assume that the majority of France buys their chicken already butchered, in a market, and that a similarly small percentage has the ability to have a flock of birds and butcher them at will, no different than the US.
The French that live in cities mainly live in apartment buildings. I have lived in France and I would say that they have more of a population that lives in an urban setting than the US. I will say that I did come across a family in Aix en Provence that did have goats inside their apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 01:34 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
The French that live in cities mainly live in apartment buildings. I have lived in France and I would say that they have more of a population that lives in an urban setting than the US. I will say that I did come across a family in Aix en Provence that did have goats inside their apartment.
Not to give you too much of a hard time, but why should we believe you know more about living in France than someone who lives there now?

To point, you gave some misinformation about life in the triangle, which is presumably where you live now. You said most of us can't have chickens, but i think all of Wake County (and I assume the surrounding counties) can all have back yard chicken coups. I live in Cary, and my neighbors have chickens. (Thank goodness for fences, my dogs are VERY interested in them.)

I would love to have chickens. If I did, it would be for the fresh eggs, but I would love that. The only reason I don't is due to the aforementioned dogs.

While this is a local discussion, on a local board, I don't think we should automatically discount someone just because they are from a different area. In this case, their POV is just as valid.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:13 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
It was odd that you mentioned "here in France..." as if it were a common french trait. I would assume that the majority of France buys their chicken already butchered, in a market, and that a similarly small percentage has the ability to have a flock of birds and butcher them at will, no different than the US.
I think that if you actually took the time to read what I said ( including the disclaimer where I said that I realize that not everyone could raise their own food) that you would have seen and comprehended that the “here in France” comment was in regards to our having the same issues during this trying time.
How you derived that I was implying that “everyone” or even more than a few in France raiseand butcher their own poultry is beyond me.

Thanks for being open minded enough to realize that we are having the same issues HERE IN FRANCE

^^^^ Here is the line you quoted. You’re reaching.

Last edited by Sydney123; 04-27-2020 at 02:23 PM..

Old 04-27-2020, 02:14 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Not to give you too much of a hard time, but why should we believe you know more about living in France than someone who lives there now?

To point, you gave some misinformation about life in the triangle, which is presumably where you live now. You said most of us can't have chickens, but i think all of Wake County (and I assume the surrounding counties) can all have back yard chicken coups. I live in Cary, and my neighbors have chickens. (Thank goodness for fences, my dogs are VERY interested in them.)

I would love to have chickens. If I did, it would be for the fresh eggs, but I would love that. The only reason I don't is due to the aforementioned dogs.

While this is a local discussion, on a local board, I don't think we should automatically discount someone just because they are from a different area. In this case, their POV is just as valid.
It isn't "misinformation" to say that most people in the can't have chickens. It takes a lot of "want to" to have chickens here, especially in a subdivision, and that assumes that you can have chickens. I'll confirm that a suburban lot is not ideal for raising chickens, but in any case a huge amount of this area is in HOA's or even towns where you can't have them (or there are prohibitions on roosters which means that husbandry of the birds is a moot point.) It isn't like having a small vegetable garden.

Their POV was flippant and arrogant. She insulted our food with false accusations (hormones; all poultry in the US is hormone free, from chicken nuggets at the State Prison to the finest restaurants.) She also implied that it was the French norm to have better, fresher chicken that one kills themselves; one doesn't need to be a Francophile to realize that such a statement simply doesn't pass the smell test.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:44 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Someone in my neighborhood has chickens. Or a duck. But it was VERY noise the other night with fowl sounds. They've lost control of their wildlife under quarantine.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:46 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,866 times
And people complain about me bickering...smh.

I hope the hall monitors are up in arms about now. But I'm not holding my breath, lol.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:55 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
It isn't "misinformation" to say that most people in the can't have chickens. It takes a lot of "want to" to have chickens here, especially in a subdivision, and that assumes that you can have chickens. I'll confirm that a suburban lot is not ideal for raising chickens, but in any case a huge amount of this area is in HOA's or even towns where you can't have them (or there are prohibitions on roosters which means that husbandry of the birds is a moot point.) It isn't like having a small vegetable garden.

Their POV was flippant and arrogant. She insulted our food with false accusations (hormones; all poultry in the US is hormone free, from chicken nuggets at the State Prison to the finest restaurants.) She also implied that it was the French norm to have better, fresher chicken that one kills themselves; one doesn't need to be a Francophile to realize that such a statement simply doesn't pass the smell test.
Lol.. aside from the hormone comment ( which I will concede the point to you), you took almost everything else I said out of context and spun it towards your narrative. I never implied that French chicken was fresher than American Chicken. ( You got your feelings hurt) I said that raising and butchering your own chickens resulted in fresher chicken. Wouldn’t the same hold true.. whether in France or America? Fresher kill resulting in fresher poultry as opposed to chicken that’s been sitting in refrigerated trucks or in bins at the market... be they French or American trucks and markets. It’s not rocket science.
You really haven’t demonstrated a valid argument to what I said, but rather you’re just trying to start a fight over nothing. Feelings...nothing more than feelings...
And do yourself a favor ... check out some videos on the deplorable conditions that commercially produced chickens ( and just about every other commercially raised meat or poultry) are raised with. “disclaimer”.. be they American or French .....producers.
Rock on Garth!

Old 04-27-2020, 03:56 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
People like to be a part of something.
Except a pandemic

You're right though. It's like buying the hot toy at Christmas without any thought that your 2 year old wants it or not.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:11 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Having a few chickens to supply eggs is very different then having chickens to slaughter for dinner. According to the Town of Cary, “onsite slaughtering of chickens is strictly prohibited.” Sorry, I wasn’t clear. We were talking about going out into your yard to grab dinner. Maybe she was talking only about quiche?

Old 04-27-2020, 09:15 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Crazy waiting for chicken or any food. I value my time at $120/hour. Unless it is going to save me at least $120/hour, then it is not worth it to me. So waiting in line 5 hours for chicken I would need to be saving $600. Instead you had to pay for it and gas. Amazing how skewed the time-value concept is in America.

I suggest everyone calculate your "time-value" per hour for when it is worth doing something or not for yourself or having others do it or doing nothing at all.

See here:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/2...-26-time-worth
today, some folks time is $7.25/hr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary