Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 06:50 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
We've had testing for anyone in NC for three weeks now, but the general public wasn't made aware until last Friday.

That's great, but two issues and a question.

1. What about other states who have people who could simply jump in their cars and drive here since a virus doesn't consider lines on a map in its spread plan? I mean GA reopened a couple weeks back and was still at ~24% positives (that's on par with the dreaded MA results you point to a lot) when they did (not sure what they are at now)

2. 4 months into a pandemic that we knew about for 1-2 months before that...heckuva job.

Question - your link says the guidelines on who could be tested were loosened. But that doesn't mean "anyone" can get one if there isn't the supply to support anyone getting one. Does the state have the ability to test all 10.5M of us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 06:57 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
That's great, but two issues.

1. What about other states who have people who could simply jump in their cars and drive here since a virus doesn't consider lines on a map in its spread plan? I mean GA reopened a couple weeks back and was still at ~24% positives (that's on par with the dreaded MA results you point to a lot) when they did (not sure what they are at now)

2. 4 months into a pandemic that we knew about for 1-2 months before that...heckuva job.
The point is that there's a lot of complaining and blame about lack of testing, yet we make it so anyone can be tested and it takes them three weeks to make the public aware? You'd think they'd be extremely eager to get that word out wouldn't you?

I'm just tired of the general hypocrisy on both sides.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:00 AM

4,540 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
The point is that there's a lot of complaining and blame about lack of testing, yet we make it so anyone can be tested and it takes them three weeks to make the public aware? You'd think they'd be extremely eager to get that word out wouldn't you?

I wouldn't say just yet that "anyone can be tested." There are still many hoops to jump through. I'm speaking from experience and I actually work in a hospital.

Still need more tests.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Question - your link says the guidelines on who could be tested were loosened. But that doesn't mean "anyone" can get one if there isn't the supply to support anyone getting one. Does the state have the ability to test all 10.5M of us?
Does it matter? Isn't more better? We've been complaining for months that there isn't enough testing.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:

But we didn't make it so anyone can be tested m378. Your link gets at that.

What changed was the rules dictating who could go for a test. But the limiter has never been the rules. Its always been the supply (of any component needed).

So yes, its awesome the rules were laxxed 3 weeks ago. I agree they probably should have made that more well known. But is this another MI situation? Anyone can get a test up to their daily capacity (Lab capacity)....but they can't get to the daily lab capacity because they don't have all the supplies needed to test at that capacity.

Details my man. Details. "We have loosened the rules so anyone can be tested" doesn't mean "anyone can be tested".

Old 05-13-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
But we didn't make it so anyone can be tested m378. Your link gets at that.

What changed was the rules dictating who could go for a test. But the limiter has never been the rules. Its always been the supply (of any component needed).

So yes, its awesome the rules were laxxed 3 weeks ago. I agree they probably should have made that more well known. But is this another MI situation? Anyone can get a test up to their daily capacity (Lab capacity)....but they can't get to the daily lab capacity because they don't have all the supplies needed to test at that capacity.

Details my man. Details. "We have loosened the rules so anyone can be tested" doesn't mean "anyone can be tested".
I stand on my opinion that there was absolutely no reason not to make the public aware. There are still people out there that think it's impossible to get tested due to what they watch on the news. If you want more people tested, you should make them aware that it's not hard to get tested.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Does it matter? Isn't more better? We've been complaining for months that there isn't enough testing.

Yes because you are glossing over the actual limiter in testing.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:42 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
People have fear regarding Coronavirus, and in my opinion a lot of it is unwarranted in many parts of the country (our area included). I myself am guilty of this, and am working on trying to look at facts and data rather than what I see/hear on the news and social media.

This fear is preventing people from wanting to go anywhere near a medical facility. If someone's on the fence on whether or not they need to call/see the doctor, I'd make the assumption that these days they're more likely not to call.

We need to get people's fear levels down. Unfortunately a good portion of the media is not helping on that front, whether it be for ratings/monetary reasons, or political reasons.

Ding, ding, ding! Of course the media isn't going to assist. Sensationalism brings ratings. Ratings brings money. Probably same reason the media didn't disclose testing was made available to everyone. Drag it on as long as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It is truly amazing to me how far our society has fallen since WW2 and the "all for one, one for all mentality". It's crazy to me.

I agree. But in my opinion is the direct result of the increase in government dependency. But a voter dependent on government is a guaranteed vote for the party which provides the most government benefits.

Quote:
We've had testing for anyone in NC for three weeks now, but the general public wasn't made aware until last Friday.

Again, all about the money. Plus, is the testing going to show how long the virus has been here and how way off the numbers truly are? Nobody likes to be wrong.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:44 AM

598 posts, read 332,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes well said. My other thought on this is that most of the people I see out and about not wearing masks and touching everything in the store are old men and if you don’t care that you get COVID (oh well I had a good long life I’m not doing this) understand that others DO care, have a lot more at stake and that’s why no one really wants to see you. Ironically that age group doesn’t really care about the economy they are some of the worst offenders of the “but I’m bored “ mindset as if they are the only ones in that boat.
Maybe this differs depending on where you are and what time you go out? In Durham, when I've gone out shopping since the county's mask requirement went into effect, the few people I see not wearing masks are usually on the younger side, like mostly 25-45 year-olds walking around like they have nothing to worry about. This is still a very small minority of people in that age group - most people in every age group are wearing them around here now. I figure those people assume the virus won't hurt them. I think they don't realize or don't care that at this point it just makes them look disrespectful of others to not wear a face covering to the store.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I agree. But in my opinion is the direct result of the increase in government dependency. But a voter dependent on government is a guaranteed vote for the party which provides the most government benefits.

Then how does that explain States, that I'm guessing you would describe as "Self sufficient" states, are the most dependent?

Of the top 25 dependent states (based on Federal Dependency), 23 are "Government is bad mmmmmkay" States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary