Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 10:50 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Right? It's hard not to think that. Obviously we need to start "getting back to work" but at the same time, our country feels like it's totally helpless to do anything to mitigate the impact of the virus except by either keeping everyone at home or sending everyone out to the slaughter. It's the two most extreme, polar opposite ways of dealing with this. Everything our country is doing is simply reactionary after it's already too late, nothing proactive to make most people feel comfortable doing anything but staying home.
no, some people are like that. Seems to be the naturally anxious, the natural worriers, the natural pessimists. These people position it as either/or - either stay at home OR catch COVID and die, or if young enough, have a bad enough case to suffer long-term issues.

The hospitalization rate under 50 is below 25%. The ICU rate is about 5%.

In NC, 17 people below 50 have died.

As to testing, we (30K) are on par with Germany (33K) and well ahead of South Korea (13K) on per capita basis. We're testing about 300K people/day. We were about a month behind testing, but now we've mostly "caught up". We expect, in the next 30 days, to double our total tests. Find any other country with as diverse and spread out population as the US that is testing per capita like we are as of now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Guess who’s back......back again....
Edward Teach got banned?

maybe next time he'll come back as PeeDee the Pirate

Old 05-13-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I know I tend to say a lot of things like this, but, I don't think that. I think it is a combination of irreconcilable polarization and bureaucratically-stifled ineptitude.

Or something like that.
CDC made the test.
CDC was going to process ALL of the tests.
CDC failed in manufacturing process the first try.
CDC didn't monitor and replenish th stockpile.

How we needed a testing czar to figure out:

CDC can't handle test volume
how do we source enough testing equip (swabs, reagents, etc etc)
different companies machines test very differently, etc ....
how to make a test with much faster results

Old 05-13-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
That's great, but two issues and a question.

1. What about other states who have people who could simply jump in their cars and drive here since a virus doesn't consider lines on a map in its spread plan? I mean GA reopened a couple weeks back and was still at ~24% positives (that's on par with the dreaded MA results you point to a lot) when they did (not sure what they are at now)

2. 4 months into a pandemic that we knew about for 1-2 months before that...heckuva job.

Question - your link says the guidelines on who could be tested were loosened. But that doesn't mean "anyone" can get one if there isn't the supply to support anyone getting one. Does the state have the ability to test all 10.5M of us?
if NC has tested at the US level, we'd have completed 318,000 tests; we've done 202,000.

IMO, we need to direct the vast majority of tests to city hotspots, and then rip through the 1MM in "nursing homes" and those employees next - and frequently.

I don't need a test right now, nor do at least 80% of the population.

I haven't watched much of Cooper, and not all of the Task Force. On th TF, I've seen a lot more reporter energy spent on Trump - a political issue - and not finding out WHAT were the challenges that held us back, and where did we fail?

In NC - how is it that we can have Duke, UNC, Rex, Baptist, CMC & Presbyterian in CLT, ECU in the East, and New Hanover, etc .... and not be able to process tests?

Old 05-13-2020, 11:18 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
no, some people are like that. Seems to be the naturally anxious, the natural worriers, the natural pessimists. These people position it as either/or - either stay at home OR catch COVID and die, or if young enough, have a bad enough case to suffer long-term issues.

The hospitalization rate under 50 is below 25%. The ICU rate is about 5%.

In NC, 17 people below 50 have died.

As to testing, we (30K) are on par with Germany (33K) and well ahead of South Korea (13K) on per capita basis. We're testing about 300K people/day. We were about a month behind testing, but now we've mostly "caught up". We expect, in the next 30 days, to double our total tests. Find any other country with as diverse and spread out population as the US that is testing per capita like we are as of now.

Although I have no idea what diverse has to do in this context, the answer is you can't because there isn't another country.

We rank 177th in the world in Population density, but third in Population and third in land area.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:31 AM

598 posts, read 333,432 times
Quote:
I haven't watched much of Cooper, and not all of the Task Force. On th TF, I've seen a lot more reporter energy spent on Trump - a political issue - and not finding out WHAT were the challenges that held us back, and where did we fail?

In NC - how is it that we can have Duke, UNC, Rex, Baptist, CMC & Presbyterian in CLT, ECU in the East, and New Hanover, etc .... and not be able to process tests?

NC is having daily emergency briefings and press Q&As that have addressed some of these issues. The next one is at 2PM today and you can stream it on UNC-TV's website or on YouTube when it airs: https://www.unctv.org/watch/live-stream/eoc/

As I've understood it, the bottlenecks have been happening because the states have been left to compete against each other for supplies, which includes PPE and testing supplies that come from China.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
if NC has tested at the US level, we'd have completed 318,000 tests; we've done 202,000.
I think I said NC needs to get to 15-30K a day (which would be roughly the equivalent of nationally 1M/day) in the "what would it take to reopen" thread. Ill stick with that position. Testing is improving. That is a great thing as I said to m378.

Quote:
IMO, we need to direct the vast majority of tests to city hotspots, and then rip through the 1MM in "nursing homes" and those employees next - and frequently.

I don't need a test right now, nor do at least 80% of the population.
Sure. Find the hotspots and isolate. I agree. But the beauty of this virus is the number who remain asymptomatic throughout. You won't ever find them if you go with the "80% population don't need a test" concept because because they will never be viewed as a "need to test them" meanwhile they are the brush keeping the fire going.

Quote:
I said this to you before, and I realize this board ain't for that....but this story is as much political as it is a public health issue because of how the admin has approached it from the onset. Politics is how a government runs....and how a government runs during a national emergency (whether natural or man made) is a pertinent part of the story. I mean if Random Governor X cuts winter storm preparation and cleanup funding in MA and then MA gets smoked by the Blizzard of '78....that Governor's actions is the story just as much as the snow storm. Same principle applies here.

As I said to JONOV (I think, maybe it was Sal) yesterday, Rolling Stone has an article in the June issue that basically turns the Fed response starting at the very beginning into a timeline like they did in the show Chernobyl. Using government agency emails (plus the backgrounds of the department heads as officials) they piece together where the balls were dropped. Many may find it "inconvenient truths" and thus "fake news" but it is a doozy of a read.

Quote:
I can't answer that. It's a great question. Maybe our supply chains aren't as great as we would like to think or hope they are.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:37 AM

diverse is a lot of things, beyond race. Income, education, nation of origin, age.

But I do know some politicians want to make it about race, sadly. When we're further down the road, should we pay some extra attention to "why" blacks are disproportionately affected, with lots of categorization? Sure.

Categorization = type of living (nursing home and "quality"), pre-existing conditions, education levels, etc.

Anecdotally, the 3 groups of folks I see wearing masks the least are : people in scrubs (HT and FL nearest Rex; rarely wear masks) and black & Hispanic people. The % of older people is surprising, but it's still higher than those other 3. For the racial aspect - is it education or is it monetary? I don't know the answer.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
diverse is a lot of things, beyond race. Income, education, nation of origin, age.

But I do know some politicians want to make it about race, sadly. When we're further down the road, should we pay some extra attention to "why" blacks are disproportionately affected, with lots of categorization? Sure.

Categorization = type of living (nursing home and "quality"), pre-existing conditions, education levels, etc.

Anecdotally, the 3 groups of folks I see wearing masks the least are : people in scrubs (HT and FL nearest Rex; rarely wear masks) and black & Hispanic people. The % of older people is surprising, but it's still higher than those other 3. For the racial aspect - is it education or is it monetary? I don't know the answer.

Got it.

I was trying to figure out how "testing" and "diverse" were related since you were talking about testing in the post, and a test is a test; it isn't different if you're white/black/brown/red/yellow/green/rich/poor/male/female/straight/gay etc etc etc etc

Old 05-13-2020, 11:54 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,189 times
Quote:
Edward Teach got banned?

maybe next time he'll come back as PeeDee the Pirate
why is he like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary