Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 07:58 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
nope, never heard of it. Any time our pool shuts down (usually happens 2 days a year), I immediately think of Caddyshack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
doooooooooootie
Beat me to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 07:58 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
I really look forward to swimming laps again someday, but I’m in no rush for pools to open yet. Although I’m kind of feeling like a fish out of water, there’s a lot I want to know before I jump in again.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:36 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
For guarded pools, staffing will likely be a significant hurdle, as the Red Cross can't do lifeguard training courses. They've extended current certifications, but for those who need first-time training, they can't get it.

And as noted by others, every single pool needs to be inspected by the county. I know that Wake has been doing them for the past couple of weeks, so hopefully there's not too much of a backlog on that when things are allowed to open.

And there are still no details from the state/counties on whether pools will be allowed to open in phase 1 (potentially May 9) or if they will be in phase 2 (Memorial Day-ish). And of course there will need to be policies on social distancing, so allowed activities at pools will almost certainly be curtailed.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:40 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
And as noted by others, every single pool needs to be inspected by the county. I know that Wake has been doing them for the past couple of weeks, so hopefully there's not too much of a backlog on that when things are allowed to open.

Last year, our pool failed the inspection because the required land line wasn't working. It was a minor issue that was quickly fixed, but by then, we had to go to the back of the line for another inspection. It delayed our opening by a couple weeks.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:10 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Last year, our pool failed the inspection because the required land line wasn't working. It was a minor issue that was quickly fixed, but by then, we had to go to the back of the line for another inspection. It delayed our opening by a couple weeks.
We had tile repairs done at our pool too...I'm guessing that will cause some delays anyway.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:16 AM

202 posts, read 173,698 times
They should open, but limit the amount of people. Or section off areas of the pool, there is a way to do it. I wonder if the TSA neighborhood swim teams are going to happen this year.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:21 AM

56 posts, read 47,091 times
Community pools seem like a phase 3 as I imagine limiting / restricting would be very hard.... And most community pools are so packed in the summer.... But as I say that I see public playgrounds open phase 2, so I'm probably wrong there.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:58 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
I wonder if the TSA neighborhood swim teams are going to happen this year.
TSA has already decided that this season will be unofficial, if it even does proceed. Different pools will have different abilities to deal with any necessary social distancing requirements, depending on pool ownership, usage models, team size, etc., so it may not be a one-size-fits-all solution and I think TSA will do what it can to help facilitate some level of participation if possible.

An official decision on whether or not they can go forward in any capacity is scheduled for May 12.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:32 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I can't think of many places you're less able to socially distance than a swim meet.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:06 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
great excuse not to have to hang out for 4 hours to watch your 6 year old swim 1x though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary