Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 04:12 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Yes, you misunderstood and I think what I said was completely clear. Maybe you're thinking I was saying that we'll never know if there was a need for the lockdown anywhere in the US. That's not what I said, I was referring to North Carolina ("here").

It's very clear that lockdown was imperative in certain cities.

Fair enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 04:41 PM

808 posts, read 690,767 times
NOTEWORTHY:

Quote:
While restaurants can open indoor dining areas and hair and nail salons and barbershops can operate at half of their allowed capacity, bars, fitness centers, movie theaters and other indoor entertainment venues and playgrounds must remain closed for at least another five weeks.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/res...osed/19106007/
I understand some of the scaled-back reopening, but I also think it's a little unusual to keep theaters and playgrounds closed until basically July. From what I've read, the death rate is essentially negligible for those under 10 (which is the main age group using playgrounds), and theaters already have all viewers facing the same direction, and there is very little talking happening inside a theater (which is apparently mainly how the virus is transmitted). Just seems strange to me.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:48 PM

628 posts, read 400,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
NOTEWORTHY:

I understand some of the scaled-back reopening, but I also think it's a little unusual to keep theaters and playgrounds closed until basically July. From what I've read, the death rate is essentially negligible for those under 10 (which is the main age group using playgrounds), and theaters already have all viewers facing the same direction, and there is very little talking happening inside a theater (which is apparently mainly how the virus is transmitted). Just seems strange to me.
You do understand that children (who are not going to observe physical distancing, mask wearing, etc.) can easily infect parents and grandparents if they catch the virus, don't you?

Old 05-20-2020, 05:02 PM

808 posts, read 690,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
You do understand that children (who are not going to observe physical distancing, mask wearing, etc.) can easily infect parents and grandparents if they catch the virus, don't you?
Anyone can infect anybody if they are not careful. It should be up to the individual, and the parents, to determine what they are comfortable with. There have already been a ton of posts on here from users who have said that, even if allowed to, they and their families won't be going to gyms, restaurants, movie theaters, playgrounds, etc, for a very long time.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:04 PM

360 posts, read 400,512 times
https://youtu.be/rRMkEDwJxbU

Old 05-20-2020, 05:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
They really need to figure out what exactly IS a major risk if you get Covid, with all politics put aside. For example, something like 40% of the population has high blood pressure. They keep saying it's a major risk, but I think we'd be seeing a lot more deaths if that was the case.

There's still just massive amounts of misinformation. Obviously you can't avoid it, but hopefully we'll start getting more research-driven data.
Maybe starting in November, God willing.....

Old 05-20-2020, 05:24 PM

628 posts, read 400,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Anyone can infect anybody if they are not careful. It should be up to the individual, and the parents, to determine what they are comfortable with. There have already been a ton of posts on here from users who have said that, even if allowed to, they and their families won't be going to gyms, restaurants, movie theaters, playgrounds, etc, for a very long time.
You completely missed my point. Or more likely, didn't even read my post. Have a good night.

Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 05-20-2020 at 05:32 PM..

Old 05-20-2020, 05:32 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
No, we do know; the numbers prove the theory. Despite being the 10th most populace state, we've never been higher than 19th on the overall infected or deceased totals list (and generally almost always 20th).

Actually, the numbers could support the argument that Governor Cooper has handled this exactly the right way. I'll step back now and watch patiently as a few of our fellow forum contributors experience a meltdown. Not a political stump, by the way, just a fact-based conclusion.
shutting down the schools and the quantity of people immediately going to telework made a huge difference. The amount of everyday movement dropped ~ 50% (IMO) just from that. Also, anecdotally, it seemed like the 65+ crowd had a great compliance rate (though I'm still shocked to see the ones that ARE out and about w/o masks).

Old 05-20-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
I don’t think states are opening as per the government guidelines. I heard Dr Fauci give a list of milestones that needed to be reached before opening and they have not been reached in N.C. Talking about Dr Fauci, has he been seen recently ?
we have hit every milestone.

nobody is going to test more and see lower #'s of cases. That's why the recommendations had "or declining % of positives", which is the criteria we've hit.

Of course, without providing detailed information, Cooper/DHHS today pointed back to "total cases" and "total new cases" for why the next phase won't be as complete (no bars or gyms, no public playgrounds) and will likely last longer (4-6 weeks). I think we'll see after 3 weeks max whether a) our numbers change dangerously and b) other more open states change dangerously.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I personally think it’s too soon to reopen because we haven’t reached our peak yet. Furthermore some studies think we won’t hit our peak until the fall if we continue our current level but reopening sooner means a sooner and sharper peak that could overwhelm hospitals. My family and I will be staying home until the peak is well past or a vaccine is available whenever possible. We are both essential employees so yes, we go to work as needed, but work from home as much as possible. We haven’t let our child leave the house since early March and have no issues with staying this way as long as we need to to protect our family’s health. I would urge others to do the same.
inverse order ....

your child hasn't left the house, or hasn't left your yard? either way - do you realize how infinitesimal the chances are of contracting the virus simply by walking around the neighborhood?

On "peak is well past or a vaccine" .... how will you define the peak? What if our peak was a speed bump mid-April? I can see being extra-cautious and "OK, the virus has up to a 2 week incubation period. We're going to wait until a week after that after when the state is 75% open".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary