Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 05:51 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times

Advertisements

A bunch of us get together from all around the east coast for one week each year. We rent one of those mega houses on the outer banks in Dare County.

The Governor's order says no more than 10 people at indoor gatherings. We agree with the Governor and health officlals and think it would be unhealthy for such a gathering during Phase II of the plan, yet the leasing agency says they are exempt from the 10 people indoor gather rule and whether we go or not we owe the money per the lease agreement. We are all willing to give up the money, but my guess is the vast majority of renters will be exceeding the 10 indoor rule and attending such functions/rentals.

If that's the case the 10 people indoor rule is simply for show, not to stop/limit the spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 05:53 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I don't think that population has much to do with it. I think there are many many other factors, many of which we are not yet aware of.
population has almost nothing to do with it - other than a total count. If "population" mattered then Oregon, Texas, NC, AZ, and FL wouldn't be in the bottom 20 (cases/MM)

Old 05-20-2020, 05:56 PM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
we have hit every milestone.
No we haven't. I watched Cooper's press conference today and Dr. Cohen went over the milestones and where we stood in regard to them. She showed a chart of the 4 milestones, with a red x next to the ones we haven't met, and a green check next to the ones we have met. One of the 4 had a red x (I can't recall exactly which one, I think its number of hospitalizations). We've met 3 of the 4.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:02 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
A bunch of us get together from all around the east coast for one week each year. We rent one of those mega houses on the outer banks in Dare County.

The Governor's order says no more than 10 people at indoor gatherings. We agree with the Governor and health officlals and think it would be unhealthy for such a gathering during Phase II of the plan, yet the leasing agency says they are exempt from the 10 people indoor gather rule and whether we go or not we owe the money per the lease agreement. We are all willing to give up the money, but my guess is the vast majority of renters will be exceeding the 10 indoor rule and attending such functions/rentals.

If that's the case the 10 people indoor rule is simply for show, not to stop/limit the spread.
My client boss is in the same boat. Eight families coming in from all over country every June on OBX. Rental company won’t let them out of their rental agreement.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:02 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
No we haven't. I watched Cooper's press conference today and Dr. Cohen went over the milestones and where we stood in regard to them. She showed a chart of the 4 milestones, with a red x next to the ones we haven't met, and a green check next to the ones we have met. One of the 4 had a red x (I can't recall exactly which one, I think its number of hospitalizations). We've met 3 of the 4.
One of them is an either/or. Someone asked at the press conference.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:04 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Yup.

Now I'll grant that in a vacuum, that may not have been what you were getting it.

But when you layer in that with the post by twingles that you replied to, the point becomes seemingly straight forward.

ETA - "We'll never know if it made a difference" and "see this wasn't really needed" are basically cousins in this context
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You've made up your mind so there's nothing I can do to change that.
I can see - and actually agree somewhat - that m378's position reads like "nothingburger lite". However, what he actually said earlier today and GVoR responded to differently (naming lots of countries) was "made a difference here". Maybe I'm wrong, but "here" is the Triangle, right?

One would have to be an idiot to claim shutdowns weren't needed in urbanized areas and precautions at congregate living.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:04 PM

242 posts, read 150,168 times
Quote:
inverse order ....

your child hasn't left the house, or hasn't left your yard? either way - do you realize how infinitesimal the chances are of contracting the virus simply by walking around the neighborhood?

On "peak is well past or a vaccine" .... how will you define the peak? What if our peak was a speed bump mid-April? I can see being extra-cautious and "OK, the virus has up to a 2 week incubation period. We're going to wait until a week after that after when the state is 75% open".

It likely was mid April. Based on the new DHHS Deaths by Date graph, deaths peaked around April 15 to April 18 and has been on a slow congregate burn since then. So cases likely peaked prior to that. Since that date on average just over 3 deaths a day have been reported that are attributed to general population by NC DHHS.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:07 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
I can see - and actually agree somewhat - that m378's position reads like "nothingburger lite". However, what he actually said earlier today and GVoR responded to differently (naming lots of countries) was "made a difference here". Maybe I'm wrong, but "here" is the Triangle, right?

One would have to be an idiot to claim shutdowns weren't needed in urbanized areas and precautions at congregate living.
Yes m378 was specifically saying here as in the Triangle

My country post prior to the sidebar with twingles

Old 05-20-2020, 06:19 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
NOTEWORTHY:

I understand some of the scaled-back reopening, but I also think it's a little unusual to keep theaters and playgrounds closed until basically July. From what I've read, the death rate is essentially negligible for those under 10 (which is the main age group using playgrounds), and theaters already have all viewers facing the same direction, and there is very little talking happening inside a theater (which is apparently mainly how the virus is transmitted). Just seems strange to me.
It's not just about the death rate for those under 10. It's also whether or not they can become infected by contaminated surfaces on a playground and then infect others around them ... like mom who is immunocompromised, or grandma who is in her 80s.

(Sorry, I see someone else has made the point)

Old 05-20-2020, 06:24 PM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's not just about the death rate for those under 10. It's also whether or not they can become infected by contaminated surfaces on a playground and then infect others around them ... like mom who is immunocompromised, or grandma who is in her 80s.

(Sorry, I see someone else has made the point)
Maybe he'll actually read and try to understand your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary