Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 04:19 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Flu season is approximately 6 months.

Covid has caused approximately 90K deaths in a period of 3 months.
Again, we have no idea how many flu deaths there would be over the course of 3 months without a vaccine.

We do not know that Covid is worse than the flu as far as death rates go. We don't even know if our Covid death stats are accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 04:31 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Again, we have no idea how many flu deaths there would be over the course of 3 months without a vaccine.

We do not know that Covid is worse than the flu as far as death rates go. We don't even know if our Covid death stats are accurate.

But we don't really know what seasonal flu deaths are a year either....since the official CDC number every year is not an actual, but an estimate based on hospitals in 13 "surveillance states"... So how can you say that as some sort of fact?

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2766121

Old 05-19-2020, 04:33 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
My post was specifically about people having an issue with their friends' and acquaintances' social media posts and pictures showing them socializing. Yet you co-opted my post as if I was talking about people in stores and mask wearing, which I was not.
Well I disagree with you because I am upset that people I previously thought were thoughtful people give no concern to infecting others and have decided that won’t happen. I am fine with judging them for it. And sad the friendship will not be the same.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:34 PM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
We do know that the covid virus lasts much longer in the system than the flu, has a longer incubation period in the system (up to 14 days vs 2 or 3 days for the flu), attacks more organs than the flu, has some strange side effects, and might well be more contagious than the flu.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:36 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Well I disagree with you because I am upset that people I previously thought were thoughtful people give no concern to infecting others and have decided that won’t happen. I am fine with judging them for it. And sad the friendship will not be the same.
Brave new world out there NM. Half our neighborhood group here have fallen out of the circle of trust over the last 3 months.

It's an analog version of what I used to do on Facebook every year (before I left altogether)....the annual purge. I used to say then, "it's me, not you"

Now, the opposite is true.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:37 PM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
If any of these people are in different states and different areas of the country, their restrictions might be different than those in NC or have changed/been lifted faster. Or maybe they're just selfish jerks who don't care about infecting others and they'll never know why they lost a friend.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:51 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
So from the Phase 2 chart it looks like no hair salons are mentioned. What does “other businesses” mean?

Old 05-19-2020, 05:16 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Interesting, 7 pages of a thread which I agree with nearly everyone's post and perspective, the ones I can see at least that aren't hidden to me.

Many reflect things I've been thinking and in the back of my mind recently - that whatever someone else decides about readiness or some phase will not influence me to all of a sudden switch gears to do something superfluous like go to malls or "shopping" or other things that confuse some about "freedom".

It too has occurred to me that certain people who I know, whose attitudes or actions I consider ignorantly and blissfully cavalier about this thing, which we are all still very much in the learning about stage, cause future association with them to come into question.

I've always found extremists repellent, on whichever side they fall, now we have new flavors of them.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:04 PM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Irrelevant. There IS a vaccine.

And if there wasn't one for flu, and 90,000+ deaths occurred in 3 months, then things would also be shut down.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:01 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Looks this is the weekend! We can finally move towards normalcy and since NC is one of the best states with the stats, it's time. With restaurants, looks like the gyms and hair salons have high confidence also.

"North Carolina will allow restaurants and bars to reopen this weekend after being closed for more than two months.

The North Carolina Restaurant and Lodging Association emailed members Tuesday afternoon, saying it expects Gov. Roy Cooper will move the state into Phase Two of its opening plan on Friday, May 22. In Phase Two, restaurants and bars will be allowed to offer dine-in service at 50% capacity."

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/bu...242810591.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary