Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2020, 09:15 AM

242 posts, read 150,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
You must mean cable news.
And local news. And newspapers. All of them have been incentivized to use the pandemic to drive clicks to their sites by stoking fear.

COVID is real, but news is a business and has filtered the pandemic through a lens that will benefit them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 09:16 AM

628 posts, read 400,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I don’t think covid is a conspiracy. I do think the media has incentive to pump fear, for multiple reasons.
That IS the definition of a conspiracy, isn't it?

Old 06-07-2020, 09:43 AM

18,127 posts, read 15,709,192 times
Research says certain groups of people (not only old people) have risk factors that mean they are more likely to get the worst covid symptoms if they catch the virus, and they need to take more or stronger precautions to avoid getting infected:

- Blood types in the A group (A-positive, A-negative and AB-positive, AB-negative)
- Diabetes (Type I and II)
- Obesity
- Heart disease and hypertension
- Smoking
- Those with existing lung-related diseases (Cystic Fibrosis, COPD, etc)
- Other Genetic Factors

Before pointing fingers at others, consider there are factors that affect people they cannot change:

Blood Type
Genetic Factors
Existing lung diseases
Diabetes Type I
No, that doesn't mean *everyone* should be forced to quarantine themselves, but those who have 1 or more of the above factors do need to be more careful and stay at least 10ft away from others, if not greater distance.

https://www.livescience.com/why-covi...me-people.html

Old 06-07-2020, 12:28 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,130,830 times
Exactly right lottamoxie.

But i would rewrite your recommendation to add that when we see individuals who seem to exhibit old age, heavy weight or breathing, slow walking, etc. WE are the ones who should be giving them space. Those folks, who deserve the same freedoms as anyone else, may have a harder time getting out of your way than you do getting out of theirs.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:45 PM

18,127 posts, read 15,709,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Exactly right lottamoxie.

But i would rewrite your recommendation to add that when we see individuals who seem to exhibit old age, heavy weight or breathing, slow walking, etc. WE are the ones who should be giving them space. Those folks, who deserve the same freedoms as anyone else, may have a harder time getting out of your way than you do getting out of theirs.
Can't argue with that! It would be nice if some restaurants could have a couple tables that are further removed from other tables, if there's space to do so, so a meal could be enjoyed by people who might fall into one or more of the categories where they have to be extra conscientious and really be socially distant >6ft away. Maybe that's a table outside, around the side, but it would be a nice addition if at all possible.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:18 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,283,715 times
For some reason deaths don't seem to be reported on much anymore, but there was a single death in NC yesterday, which hasn't occurred since March. Also daily deaths are very much trending downward:

Old 06-07-2020, 05:58 PM

628 posts, read 400,407 times
Quote:
For some reason deaths don't seem to be reported on much anymore, but there was a single death in NC yesterday, which hasn't occurred since March. Also daily deaths are very much trending downward:
The number of deaths are frequently updated later.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:40 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,585,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Some people now have this “if it’s my time to go, then so be it. I’m getting out and enjoying life” attitude. That tune will change if they end up gasping for breath on a ventilator.

Ending up on a ventilator is exactly what media sources initially led us to believe. Time has proven otherwise as very few infected actually end up on a ventilator. If a person has underlying conditions absolutely they need to take special precautions.

Quote:
I don’t think covid is a conspiracy. I do think the media has incentive to pump fear, for multiple reasons.

Of course they do. Just like this mask-wearing silliness. What's funny is those I know who are now wearing masks are the same ones I would keep a gap between us while in the same room because I knew they had poor hygiene e.g. not covering their coughing, frequently touching their mouth, noticing they walk out of the bathroom immediately after the toilet flushes, etc. I've been told it's pathetic I notice these things and have disorders. Same people not washing their hands and covering their coughs were the same one telling me I had a disorder and now they're walking around wearing a mask.

Pretty sad the CDC has to make a blanket suggestion for everyone to wear a mask because, as a society, we are known for poor hygiene. Think about this: Every restroom in a restaurant has a sign on the wall stating "Employees must wash hands". Pathetic.

I firmly believe these suggestions by medical experts are merely for the appeasement of the masses who were misinformed by false information spread on social media. If they didn't the masses would stomp around like children in protest exclaiming "You're not doing enough to protect me.".

Here's why a mask is pointless for those who are healthy and have good hygiene:

- The "experts" suggest the mask protects others, not yourself. Practice good hygiene.
- The masks prevents droplets from spreading. Simply cover your cough or sneeze. Sneeze or cough down your shirt. I see fools bring up their elbow to give the appearance but clearly are not covering their mouth. Lazy.
- Droplets can be spread while talking. Stay 6' away.
- The mask prevents people from touching their face. Wash your hands.

The fact is there is very little chance of infection if you practice proper hygiene, maintain six feet distance and spend less than 10 minutes.

Another interesting fact is 96% of those infected became so from their own home. So how many of you who wear a mask in public (where there's very little chance of infection) come home and remove your mask? Hmmm.... so you care enough to wear a mask in public to protect others but don't give a crap about infecting your own family?

Old 06-08-2020, 06:51 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,587,592 times
Quote:

That is because the medical community has been instructed to stop coding the deaths for covid-19 death when a person dies of cancer but happens to test for covid-19. At least that is what Cuomo says.

http://adam.curry.com/enc/1591559942...oviddeaths.mp3

Old 06-08-2020, 07:01 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,585,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
That is because the medical community has been instructed to stop coding the deaths for covid-19 death when a person dies of cancer but happens to test for covid-19. At least that is what Cuomo says.

http://adam.curry.com/enc/1591559942...oviddeaths.mp3

And I know for a fact that's exactly what's happening in Raleigh. No, I'm not going to post documentation. Doing so would have serious repercussions on me. But every death is being reported as COVID-19. Why? Federal funding. Anything our municipalities can relate to this virus will increase funds received. Always about the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary