Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2020, 08:17 PM

498 posts, read 854,357 times

Advertisements

I went on Wake County's COVID page, scrolled through their announcements, and made a graph showing each congregate living outbreak announcement. They were few and far between until lately. That doesn't mean there is a problem in the general population, however. Wake County, in general, is actually doing quite well.

56/131 deaths in Wake are from congregate living as of July 31.
Attached Thumbnails
Current Coronavirus Status-wake-county-congregate-living.png  

Old 08-01-2020, 01:25 AM

242 posts, read 150,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
I went on Wake County's COVID page, scrolled through their announcements, and made a graph showing each congregate living outbreak announcement. They were few and far between until lately. That doesn't mean there is a problem in the general population, however. Wake County, in general, is actually doing quite well.

56/131 deaths in Wake are from congregate living as of July 31.
Not to split hairs since I started keeping a closer eye on tracking Wake's congregate deaths as deaths starting spiking. But in the last two Congregate Outbreak reports (7/28 and 7/31) alone, Wake has added 23 new deaths (so just this week).

But as of yesterday, the number of congregate deaths in Wake is AT LEAST 63. At least 2 Wake outbreaks with deaths associated have been removed from on previous reports: UNC Rex Apex (with 4 deaths) and Brookdale Wake Forest (with 3 deaths). These are likely the 7 that you are missing. There may be some lagged data that isn't in the report which is why I say 'at least', but a good bit of Wake's recent surge is LTC.

I actually think some of the death surge statewide is that they actually went to every LTC and did testing this past month or so and ended up catching outbreaks that fell under the radar. Congregate deaths statewide have been spiking again since mid-July.

Here are the facilities in Wake with deaths.
Wellington 14
Sunnybrook 6 <- Outbreak over as of 7/31 report
Windsor Point 5
UNC Rex Apex 4 <- Outbreak over as of 7/21 report
Brookdale WF 3 <- Outbreak over as of 7/24 report
Capital N&R 5
Litchford Falls 5
Laurels of Forest Glen 9
UNC Rex Raleigh 1
Sunrise at North Hills 1
Hillside of WF 5
Tower Nursing 5

Old 08-01-2020, 05:24 AM

498 posts, read 854,357 times
You're right! Those two even fell of the expired list at the bottom of the page. Wish they kept them on for the duration.

Way2land, do you know how many LTC facilities are in Wake County? Looks like maybe 27 have counted toward outbreaks?

Old 08-01-2020, 06:53 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
I am still trying to figure out the disparities between NC and MA. MA is still generally seeing around 12-18 deaths per day, which seems to be slightly below what NC is seeing. However, MA is seeing around 200-300 new cases per day, whereas NC is seeing over 2000. MA is reporting around 350 hospitalizations, NC is reporting around 1200.

I'm not understanding how it's possible to see such major disparities in cases in hospitalizations, with deaths being relatively similar. What is going on here? Is MA under-reporting cases and hospitalizations, or is NC over-reporting?

Old 08-01-2020, 06:53 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
I’ve seldom in my life disliked a politician more.
Couldn't rep, but yes.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I am still trying to figure out the disparities between NC and MA. MA is still generally seeing around 12-18 deaths per day, which seems to be slightly below what NC is seeing. However, MA is seeing around 200-300 new cases per day, whereas NC is seeing over 2000. MA is reporting around 350 hospitalizations, NC is reporting around 1200.

I'm not understanding how it's possible to see such major disparities in cases in hospitalizations, with deaths being relatively similar. What is going on here? Is MA under-reporting cases and hospitalizations, or is NC over-reporting?
When you find out, I'd love to know. One of the great mysteries I have yet to see them called out on.

With only 58 ICU patients statewide, that would recycle all that every 4 days which is unlikely.

I still can't see any explanation other than the UK problem. Once you have COVID you are never cured (for counting purposes). So they have COVID positive LTC patients (who may have tested positive anytime between March and now) and whether or not they ever had any symptoms, they are eventually dying (many stays in nursing homes are short). So as each of them passes, for whatever reason now, they are marked off as COVID. No other explanation that I can think of for that death rate (which they claim are CURRENT and not BACKLOG) with such low cases.

Would love to see that confirmed.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
You're right! Those two even fell of the expired list at the bottom of the page. Wish they kept them on for the duration.

Way2land, do you know how many LTC facilities are in Wake County? Looks like maybe 27 have counted toward outbreaks?
24 Nursing Facilities on this list which means the vast majority in Wake have had an outbreak. The majority of LTC outbreaks are in Nursing Facilities.

https://info.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/data/nhlist_co.pdf

I don't know how many Resident Facilities there are. I'd assume a good number more.

96 care facilities here. Don't know if that includes Senior Residential

Senior and Adult Services

Old 08-01-2020, 08:33 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
So half of 600 or so people in Georgia got it. They took precautions, but somehow "regular singing and cheering" was permitted.

So now children are the guinea pigs and hubris and ignorance reign.

It's one thing that history is bound to repeat blah blah blah, but CV19 choir history is only a few months back.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
So half of 600 or so people in Georgia got it. They took precautions, but somehow "regular singing and cheering" was permitted.

So now children are the guinea pigs and hubris and ignorance reign.

It's one thing that history is bound to repeat blah blah blah, but CV19 choir history is only a few months back.
Had to Google it cause I had no idea what you were talking about. For anyone else wondering, it was an overnight summer camp:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...mm6931e1-H.pdf

The real question is was there secondary spread. The CDC doc says that will come in a later report.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:42 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Saw a pitcher on the Red Sox is out for the season because he got heart inflammation after contracting COVID (he’s only 27)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary