Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2020, 11:57 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I think long term, avoiding germs might end up making one's immune system weaker. Initially it will have a positive effect but over time, probably not. I'm not saying you should lick toilet seats or door handles but ultimately that isn't how the human race will continue to survive over the course of time. The Europeans landed in the US and exposed the natives to diseases they had never seen before, and it wiped them out.
Yes. I'm familiar with the whole germs and dirt are good thing, and I agree avoiding germs can go too far. But handwashing is pretty basic hygiene when we're in crowded environments and after using the bathroom and during food prep and so forth. It can quite literally saves lives in those cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 12:03 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
100% we do in things COVID and non related.

I'm just baffled by the comp. But that's a me problem maybe.
The fear of the unknown is a big driver. Hell, I was freaked the f out back in May when I got on an airplane for the first time since this started. Now flights are full and it's business as usual. Covid will exist in the background as we move forward but (hopefully) it will become just another virus humans contend with. It's not like this hasn't happened before in history.

When you visit cities in FL and TX and then visit IL, CA, and NY there is a stark difference in how the population perceives things. We're all Americans but the difference is quite striking.

I'm also hopeful for some sort of antibody treatment that could be taken along with quickie $10 tests available at local drug stores. Seems like progress has been made re: POTUS.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:08 PM

1,326 posts, read 725,513 times
Quote:
I'm still blown away on the hand soap shortages we saw at the beginning which clearly shows how many people walk around with dootie/pecker/lady part hands which is Efffing gross.

Heathens.
This is one of my favorite things I've ever read on C-D.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:10 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,730 times
Quote:
The fear of the unknown is a big driver. Hell, I was freaked the f out back in May when I got on an airplane for the first time since this started. Now flights are full and it's business as usual. Covid will exist in the background as we move forward but (hopefully) it will become just another virus humans contend with. It's not like this hasn't happened before in history.
Oh I agree. I shared what my chemist buddy at Merck said to me in April. This virus will fold into our seasonal flues. It's here to stay.

Quote:
When you visit cities in FL and TX and then visit IL, CA, and NY there is a stark difference in how the population perceives things. We're all Americans but the difference is quite striking.
My wife and kids drove to MA on Saturday. In just a handful of days there she notes the differences. The graph Laurie Garrett shared on twitter yesterday adds some visualization to the point as well.

Quote:
I'm also hopeful for some sort of antibody treatment that could be taken along with quickie $10 tests available at local drug stores. Seems like progress has been made re: POTUS.
Progress has been made, which is fantastic. Human ingenuity always has.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
This is one of my favorite things I've ever read on C-D.

Happy to bring a smile to your day ITB!

Old 10-13-2020, 12:16 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
My wife and kids drove to MA on Saturday. In just a handful of days there she notes the differences. The graph Laurie Garrett shared on twitter yesterday adds some visualization to the point as well.
I was up there over the summer - it's the same as here, good mask usage in the metro areas, lousy mask usage in the less populated areas. We stayed in southern NH and usage was low.

Grass is always greener (unless you plant fescue).

Old 10-13-2020, 12:23 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Oh I agree. I shared what my chemist buddy at Merck said to me in April. This virus will fold into our seasonal flues. It's here to stay.

Progress has been made, which is fantastic. Human ingenuity always has.
One thing that has blown me away is the states that locked down tend to have higher deaths per capita. I'm not sure why that is but it's interesting nonetheless. MA was #3 in deaths after NJ and NY. CA has had the most total cases, which makes sense because it's such a populous state. One has to wonder, similar to the flu spreading during winter with people indoors, did lockdowns have the opposite intended effect?

Old 10-13-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I was up there over the summer - it's the same as here, good mask usage in the metro areas, lousy mask usage in the less populated areas. We stayed in southern NH and usage was low.

Grass is always greener (unless you plant fescue).
She was referring more to discussions with friends (call it attitudes if you will), not so much mask adoption.

To a person, everyone she has seen has an attitude diametrically opposed to 90% of our friends here.

MA got smoked early on, we here in many ways still haven't. There is scar tissue there as a result.

As for NH...we have family friends on Newfound Lake that have literally gone batchit cray cray. That doesn't surprise me in the least.

LOL about the fescue quip. Well played sir.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:25 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
One thing that has blown me away is the states that locked down tend to have higher deaths per capita. I'm not sure why that is but it's interesting nonetheless. MA was #3 in deaths after NJ and NY. CA has had the most total cases, which makes sense because it's such a populous state.
Everyone also said that the northeast did so well over the summer due to their amazing wearing of masks and social distancing. That's going down the toilet currently as their cases are rising again. Just how the waves of the virus go I'm sure.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
One thing that has blown me away is the states that locked down tend to have higher deaths per capita. I'm not sure why that is but it's interesting nonetheless. MA was #3 in deaths after NJ and NY. CA has had the most total cases, which makes sense because it's such a populous state. One has to wonder, similar to the flu spreading during winter with people indoors, did lockdowns have the opposite intended effect?
I'll have to find the stat, but something like 65% of the deaths in MA were in retirement homes/assisted living/congruent living homes. I believe there are two Solider's homes up there that were literally wiped out.

I think similar mistakes were made in MA early on similar to what was seen in NY. No one knew the high risk pops and mitigation was simply too slow to react once it was figured out. Remember, MA was in that early wave with NY and WA State. Mistakes (with hindsight being 20/20) were made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary